Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
justme

Appeal 2008

Post by justme »

Hi to All.

I am new here, because my daughter got her letter yesterday
and she didnt pass the 11+ by 3 marks. :cry:
Her Primary headteacher made his referral which has been declined.
I have now already the appeal form, but I dont really know what to write.
Please can anyone give me any advise?

we moved to England when my daughter was 3 years old and she learned English
only in Nursery and later in Primary school. Our homelanguage is German.
Therefore her vocabulary is not as big as native English girls.

From Reception onwards she was always in the top group for English and Maths and her predicted Sat scores are level 5

On the day before the second test she was with her friend (who also took
the 11+) who got bullied by some other friends, that girls going to
grammar school become geeks and will wear glasses and this might have affected my daughter as well.

my daughter is always hard working, always pleasant and polite and her
reports from school never gave me any worries.

Are these points ok and enough to support her appeal? As you can see
my English is not very good (the reason why I only talk in German to my
children, so that they do not take over my mistakes). :oops:

I am gratefull for any comment and any help.

Thanks very much
Bianca M.
wirralnumbers

Post by wirralnumbers »

Firstly have you had a look at the Appeals section of the forum? where there is loads of advice-tho not specifically for Wirral

Secondly was the score for her 2nd test below the 1st test-because that would help your argument?
justme

Post by justme »

Thanks for your reply,

yes I had a look at the appeal part of the forum,
maybe not carefull enough. :oops:
I will have another browse.

yes, her first score was 121 and the second only 112.
Bianca M.
SPUD

Post by SPUD »

Hi justme

I was in the same situation last year. My son missed by 6 points. We got through when we appealed - with a lot of help and information from this site....Dont give up - fill in the appeal form!

You can start compiling the evidence now - Get copies of school reports (i took years 4,5 and 6), sports trophies, certificates, hobbies etc.

Is it Wirral Grammar Girls you are appeaing to?

:lol:
Sue
wirralnumbers

Post by wirralnumbers »

If you have some time to spare there are a couple of other strategies you can try (and anyone else reading this)

1-Upton Hall School use their own 11+ type test rather than the Wirral test. If (and it is only an if) they have vacancies after all the allocations have been sorted out, offers accepted etc then they may let your daughter take their test. (They wont have access to your daughters 11+ result-I think!)Definitely worth a phone call to the school and it is a myth that they only accept Catholics-around 25% are currently not.

2-Both the independent schools in Birkenhead now take girls and admit based on a mixture of 11+ type test, maths and english. They also offer bursaries to those who can't afford the fees. Again maybe worth a call

But I would sort out your appeal first!
justme

Post by justme »

Hi,

yes we are looking for Wirral Grammar School for Girls.

My daughter did the Upton one already and missed
that by 3 points as well, but I think Upton is full,
one of her friends passed Upton but didnt get a place.

Thanks for all your help, my hope is rising a bit. :)
Bianca M.
SPUD

Post by SPUD »

There are some members of the forum with experience of appealing to Wirral Girls, I'm sure they will offer some valuable advice.

I know Wirral Girls was under subscribed last year, not sure what the situation is this year.

Stay positive, its a minor delay (the appeals last year were held last week of April) :lol:
Sue
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Hi Just me,

Sorry it has taken me a while to reply..

I'm so sorry to hear your daughter missed out by a couple of points.

You now have the option of appealing to both Upton and Wirral as both were higher preferences on your LEA application form.

Unfortunately this year you will have to appeal against non-qual and over subscription for both schools. This wasn't the case last year as there were in excess of 20+ places available.

Your first Appeal will be for you to prove your child is academically able to work at grammar school standard.
Things you could use to prove this:
Working at level 5 for SATs.
Good standardised test scores for writing, maths, reading ages ect.. (Your school will have her latest scores.)
It would be helpful to have a glowing report from your Head teacher recommending her for grammar school. (Not all schools will do this as the LEA specifically ask schools not to get involved in parental appeals. Some schools listen others don't.)

Any evidence of mitigating circumstances which may have caused her to not reach her true potential.

If you manage to prove your case your child will then be deemed of grammar school standard.

The next part of the Appeal process will be for over subscription. You can then argue that had your child been deemed of grammar school standard before allocation day she would have actually been allocated a place at the said school.
I will have to find out the actual distance "cut off" as you are quite a bit out from Wirral Girls, although not Upton.

It is a long road and the odds are a lot less than last year because although the LEA say it makes no difference if the school is over or under subscribed, the fact is there needs to be places available to place your child.

Having been through the whole process (for Wirral Girls) I would say: If you truly believe in your heart that your daughter should be at grammar school.. Go for it for all its worth.

If you need any help you can PM me and I will do all I can to help you. You will find a lot of support in the next few weeks from this forum from parents who do understand the anguish you are feeling right now..

Take Care and keep your chin up!

AM

P.s

If you don't mind I will move this thread to the Appeals section? As the Appeal Gurus will be able to help you to over the coming weeks.
kittycd

Post by kittycd »

Justme - it is definitely better to have a difference in score between the 2 papers like you have. Otherwise if both scores are the same it's more difficult to argue that your child is of the standard. You need to convince the panel that your child IS grammar school material and if your head appealed in Jan on your behalf then that is a real bonus.
Better that you know- but I'm pretty sure WGG is full this year. It doesn't stop you appealing but you need to bear in mind that girls who have passed but didn't get in on distance will also be appealing.
Best of luck - it is possible to get in but I'm just trying to give you some facts. Do go for it.
justme

Post by justme »

Hi,

thank you all for your replies. I am really overwhelmed
by so much help, advise and support in only one day.

Now I know where to start and what to do.

I feared that Wirral Grammar would be oversubscribed
this year, although they offered even more places than
last year. Never mind, I honestly think that my daughter
should go to a grammar school.

Thank you Appeal mum, of course I dont mind if you
copy this thread to Appeals.
Bianca M.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now