Academic evidence

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Berkshiremum

Academic evidence

Post by Berkshiremum »

I have a letter of support from class teacher however the head is refusing to provide one because the head is anti grammars. The teachers letter states ks1 level 3s in all areas, recent puma and pira scores as percentages 95% puma, 98% pira and predicted greater depth for maths reading and writing for sats in year 6. Is this one letter sufficient academic evidence. Also how do i demonstrate evidence that his primary school is a high performing school.
Thanks
ToadMum

Re: Academic evidence

Post by ToadMum »

Berkshiremum wrote:I have a letter of support from class teacher however the head is refusing to provide one because the head is anti grammars. The teachers letter states ks1 level 3s in all areas, recent puma and pira scores as percentages 95% puma, 98% pira and predicted greater depth for maths reading and writing for sats in year 6. Is this one letter sufficient academic evidence. Also how do i demonstrate evidence that his primary school is a high performing school.
Thanks
Re the last question - how do you know that it is a high performing school? Take that. DfE data, presumably? (Obviously, if it's just from the school telling you that it is, you need to find what it is basing the statement on).

Including an explanation as to what the PUMA / PIRA scores actually mean would be helpful to the panel, as well - remember that two out of the three members (and at lrast one) will be lay members who may not even have children, let alone children currently or recently in school and may be from somewhere quite distant.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Berkshiremum

Post by Berkshiremum »

Thanks for your reply. If I include an explanation of puma and pira scores would just the one letter from class teacher demonstrate academic ability for an appeal panel.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
Berkshiremum wrote:I have a letter of support from class teacher however the head is refusing to provide one because the head is anti grammars. The teachers letter states ks1 level 3s in all areas, recent puma and pira scores as percentages 95% puma, 98% pira and predicted greater depth for maths reading and writing for sats in year 6.
The letter looks quite good to me.
Is this one letter sufficient academic evidence.
No one can really tell you that. It is up to your particular appeal panel to decide.
All we can say is: the more evidence, probably the better.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also how do i demonstrate evidence that his primary school is a high performing school.
Most parents are likely to resort to league tables, recent Ofsted report, or perhaps even the 'pass rate' (if a lot of children from the school qualified in the 11+).
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now