Sir Thomas Rich's Appeal, Gloucester

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tinnyknickers

Sir Thomas Rich's Appeal, Gloucester

Post by Tinnyknickers »

Hi everyone,
DS qualified for STRS but was too low on the rankings to be offered a place. He was 364 with 366 being the lowest qualifying rank. He has been offered a place at the Crypt School, which we have accepted but we wish to appeal.

DS was involved in a bike v car accident on 28th August with the test taking place on 15th September. He was hurt physically with a wound on his knee and bad bruising but the psychological impact was huge with bed wetting, being withdrawn, not sleeping, not wanting to leave the house. He did no further papers or study. On the day he didn't have any pain killers until after the tests and he did have pain and stiffness.

Academically I have a letter from the school which says his overall standardised CAT score in year 5 was 129 with individual scores of 118,132,127 and 138. He was working at greater depth at the end of year 5 and is predicted greater depth at end of KS2. The head teacher also wrote a lovely character reference including that he works hard, has a determination to succeed, is a real advocate for school and a role model.

I have the letter from school, the police report from the accident, photos relating to the accident, his KS1 results, the leaflet given to us by the NHS called 'Coping with stress following a major incident' which details the possible impact of the accident, and the details of successful appeals in previous years.

I have two other children at the school, one in year 10 and my DD who joined the sixth form last year.

Any advice or guidance about how to structure the appeal letter or what else I might need would be really helpful. There are very few appeals on the forum for this school.

Many thanks
ToadMum

Re: Sir Thomas Rich's Appeal, Gloucester

Post by ToadMum »

If he was ranked 364 and not offered, how come rank 366 was?

Eta, sorry, just reread and realised you actually said that 366 was the lowest rank qualified , not offered.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
Any advice or guidance about how to structure the appeal letter
Lots of advice in the Q&As. For example:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... school#c18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Tinnyknickers

Post by Tinnyknickers »

Etienne wrote:Welcome to Appeals! :)
Any advice or guidance about how to structure the appeal letter
Lots of advice in the Q&As. For example:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... school#c18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've read all the posts from start to finish in this forum. I was just wondering if there was anything else I should add.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If you have read the posts from start to finish, you will of course realise that a character reference is less useful than academic evidence. All the characters listed are also applicable to the school your child has been allocated - focus on proving that he is of academic ability/level for the school you are applying for - why that particular school meets his needs best of all and the extenuating circumstances that might explain the shortfall on teh day.
Can’tthinkofone

Post by Can’tthinkofone »

Not STRS but we successfully appealled for Denmark Road a couple of years ago. There was extenuating circumstances. We also had an older child already at the school. There should be a link on appeals feedback or you can PM me.
Tinnyknickers

Post by Tinnyknickers »

Can’tthinkofone wrote:Not STRS but we successfully appealled for Denmark Road a couple of years ago. There was extenuating circumstances. We also had an older child already at the school. There should be a link on appeals feedback or you can PM me.
Thank you! That's a great help.
Tinnyknickers

Post by Tinnyknickers »

We received a date for our appeal at STRS. Also went to the first meeting at The Crypt last night. We will both be more settled and excited once we know which school!
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Hi you are safe with the knowledge he already has a place at a great school and I can understand after what he went through in the accident that being at a school with siblings could be really important. Good luck hope the appeal goes well for you.
Tinnyknickers

Post by Tinnyknickers »

DC17C wrote:Hi you are safe with the knowledge he already has a place at a great school and I can understand after what he went through in the accident that being at a school with siblings could be really important. Good luck hope the appeal goes well for you.
Thank you for your kind words.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now