Sir Thomas Rich's Appeal, Gloucester

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tinnyknickers

Re: Sir Thomas Rich's Appeal, Gloucester

Post by Tinnyknickers »

Evening!
We received the school's case today and I am wondering how much each letter is tailored to each case. It obviously gives DS place in the rankings and gives the lowest qualifying rank that was offered a place. Then under 'individual circumstances' it uses word like 'sympathetic to the particular circumstances of this case' and 'test result identified him as being of selective ability' and 'regrettably'.

Am I reading into this a bit too much (albeit hopefully)?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Tinnyknickers wrote:Evening!
We received the school's case today and I am wondering how much each letter is tailored to each case. It obviously gives DS place in the rankings and gives the lowest qualifying rank that was offered a place. Then under 'individual circumstances' it uses word like 'sympathetic to the particular circumstances of this case' and 'test result identified him as being of selective ability' and 'regrettably'.

Am I reading into this a bit too much (albeit hopefully)?
Since it's a total No, Appeals Code-wise, for a school being appealed for to provide support for an appellant, then sorry, but yes.

Schools often say stuff like, 'never liking to turn any applicant down' at appeals, but then emphasise - for the benefit of the parents, but especially for the benefit of the independent appeal panel - that they have to offer places strictly in accordance with their determined admissions policy, etc. Which they do. And if they are doing it right, and one's DC didn't 'make the cut', then it absolutely isn't personal.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinnyknickers

Post by Tinnyknickers »

Appeal hearing was yesterday. I was in and out in 20 minutes. I had prepared answers to the questions they asked. I didn't cry :D but my voice did crack a few times and they were very understanding. 24 appeals over 3 days. School's admission officer was lovely and the panel was good although there were a few random questions: the police report indicates that there were minor physical injuries so why was he in pain? Eh, he was hit by a car?! Why didn't you give him pain killers? Because he said they made him feel groggy. I have no idea how it went, but did my best and his case is a good one. But there may be others who have a better case. It was refreshing that the school was honest about capacity (plan for pan plus 2) but it is in their gift. Result next week and I will upload to appeals feedback then.\\Good luck everyone else.
ariadne

Post by ariadne »

Fingers crossed. Glad you felt you presented your case well.
Mindthegap

Post by Mindthegap »

Huge good luck. My son who is 7 plays football at Thomas Riches and already says he wants to go there.
Tinnyknickers

Post by Tinnyknickers »

I am delighted to say that my son's appeal was successful. Huge relief all round. And another place released at the Crypt School. Thank you for the information and support. I will post the details in the appeals post. :)
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Great result.. :)
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Excellent news. Hopefully he can join the induction day too?
Tinnyknickers

Post by Tinnyknickers »

Octsmum wrote:Excellent news. Hopefully he can join the induction day too?
We haven't received anything from the school yet, do you know when that is?
authormum

Post by authormum »

Tinnyknickers wrote:I am delighted to say that my son's appeal was successful. Huge relief all round. :)
Lovely to hear some good news. Congratulations to you and your son.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now