SEN and 11+ appeals

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sobz70

Appeal- worth getting legal help ?

Post by sobz70 »

Hi everyone- I am thinking of appealing for my daughter as she marginally missed selective score. Is it worth getting a lawyer to help or attend the appeal for our school of choice or would it be more detrimental?
ToadMum

Re: Appeal- worth getting legal help ?

Post by ToadMum »

sobz70 wrote:Hi everyone- I am thinking of appealing for my daughter as she marginally missed selective score. Is it worth getting a lawyer to help or attend the appeal for our school of choice or would it be more detrimental?
In a nutshell, No. And Yes, almost certainly, in that order.

You seriously do not need an 'expert' messing things up for you. On the other hand, the advice of an expert, such as Etienne or Sally-Anne, will be a great help.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

This might be worth a read.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helpneeded

Post by Helpneeded »

I think you would be better off without a lawyer. I say that as a lawyer who has been asked to attend admissions appeals and as someone who has acted as a clerk to selection appeals panels. Save your money. Use the excellent resources and advice on here. You will be the best advocate for your DC. Make notes of the key information you want to get across. Assemble the best evidence you can get. You will be fine. Good luck.
sobz70

Post by sobz70 »

I was just thinking as SEN is involved but if I can advocate for my daughter myself- that is even better. I have written up a statement- can anyone with more experience look over it for me? The school has sent me an appeal pack- Do I write a detailed statement or just brief points and save the details for later?
Thanks!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Have a look at the link Tinkers has provided up thread - most of your questions will be answered there. If you still have queries then start your own appeals thread in the appeals section of the forum.
sobz70

SEN and 11+ appeals

Post by sobz70 »

Hi there,
Having appealed for Townley (MY DD very marginally missed selective score) and awaiting the outcome - My DD was only 0.17 mark away from the Bexley selective score and she has some SEN needs which her current school also verified and she has also received 25% extra time for her SATS. She has been highly recommended by her headteacher and her academic ability is very high but we missed the headteacher review last time.
Under the equalities act - she needs to have reasonable adjustments and obviously she would have passed if she had had those adjustments-
The problem is that she was diagnosed post 11+ and she also has been offered another kent grammar. I am worried about our chance of success but we have a strong preference for Townley- due to personal, social and academic reasons as well as family life being easier.
There were also extenuating circumstances during the test period. If we are unsuccessful with this appeal- would we have a right for a second appeal due to discrimination under the equalities act? Etienne- your advice would be appreciated
Thanks so much
Etienne

Re: SEN and 11+ appeals

Post by Etienne »

sobz70 wrote:If we are unsuccessful with this appeal- would we have a right for a second appeal due to discrimination under the equalities act? Etienne- your advice would be appreciated
Thanks so much
I think it depends whether the appeal panel - in the light of the information made available to it - had proper regard to the Equality Act 2010.
The decision letter/clerk's notes ought to provide evidence of how they addressed the issue.

See:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
sobz70

Post by sobz70 »

Would they mention the equality act? How do I know whether they took it into consideration? Can I send the letter to you privately to have a look?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

sobz70 wrote:Would they mention the equality act?
If you raised a disability issue at the hearing, then I would expect there to be a reference to the EqA.
How do I know whether they took it into consideration?
As I indicated in my previous post, if you raised a disability issue, the clerk's notes/decision letter ought to provide evidence of how the matter was handled.

The clerk's notes are the official record of the meeting.
    • These will be a key source of evidence should appellants raise a complaint about the conduct of the hearing.
The decision letter doesn't mention everything contained in the clerk's notes, but according to the Code it ....
    • [2.25] ..... must contain a summary of relevant factors that were raised by the parties and considered by the panel. It must also give clear reasons for the panel’s decision, including how, and why, any issues of fact or law were decided by the panel during the hearing.
Can I send the letter to you privately to have a look?
Yes, you are welcome to email the Appeals Box, but any answers will be on the forum.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a62" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now