Watford Schools

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear watdad

Although they shouldn't be influenced by your other applications, I suspect it's best if a panel thinks "today's hearing is for the school they really want". I would recommend a separate submission for each school.
Reading some of the literature on the government website I notice a reasonable percentage are offered a place without a hear. Putting two and two together, I wonder if this is because the school feel the case if so strong they do not want to set a president.
There are always more appeal submissions than actual hearings, but I would have thought this is because:
  • A place has become available from the waiting list, or
    The parent has accepted a place somewhere else, or
    The parent has decided to withdraw because of stress, a weak case, etc.
I don't think a school will concede an appeal in advance of a hearing (unless perhaps there has been maladministration).
Etienne
watdad

Post by watdad »

Thanks again........

But does that mean I will effectively have two hearings or will they treat it as one.

If two will it be a different panel second time?

Will it be on the same day?

Will the outcome of the first prejudice the second?

Will it prejudice me it the appeal is effectivly (word for word) the same?

I can see why people drop out now and decide not to go through with it! For all the playground talks there are only about 6 appeals per school according to LEA website on average one at each school succeeds.

Sorry to keep asking questions, I only hope I can give something back one day.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Ah, you've got me there, watdad! :D

Usually I would expect hearings for different schools on different days, and probably with a different panel.

However, the exact way in which appeals are organised varies from area to area, and I now have just a suspicion you might have one panel that hears all of your appeals in one go. I can't be sure.

Unless someone else with local knowledge has the answer, you'll need to ask the schools concerned.
Etienne
watdad

Post by watdad »

Hearings are scheduled for 30 minutes which, unless there are exceptionally unusual circumstances, will allow sufficient time. However, where more than one school is scheduled at the same hearing, additional time is given. We therefore ask you to try to prepare any questions of the admission authority case and the key points of your case in advance of the hearing. The panel will have already read the written information submitted by you and the admission authority.
How would you interpret the above? My wife and I both have different takes....
I think it implies each school has separate days, meaning possibly two panels?
My Wife thinks one hearing both schools attending
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

where more than one school is
scheduled at the same hearing .....
I take it to mean they might deal with more than one school at the hearing - but it's not clear if they always do this!
Etienne
watdad

Post by watdad »

So let’s assume for one minute I have one hearing for both schools will the prejudice my appeal in any way per my previous post?
If yes I may as well submit one appeal for both schools...

Best I get on the phone Tuesday morning before sending
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

So let’s assume for one minute I have one hearing for both schools, will it prejudice my appeal in any way?
It shouldn't, but it's awkward for any parent who wants to argue strongly in favour of one particular school ....
I may as well submit one appeal for both schools...
If this is the situation, I agree.
Etienne
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Watdad,

Hope I have read this thread right and you are appealing to 2 schools.

The whole essence of an appeal is that your child MUST go that school and NO other. If you put down 2 schools then you are saying that it doesn't matter which school your child goes to and this will weaken your case.

Keep the appeals separate. You should have 2 different appeals panels. You will then have 2 bites of the cherry! :D One panel might just be more agreeable than the other. Good luck!
watdad

Post by watdad »

Tracy I agree and that is what I would like to do.

However in truth both schools concerned are a good match for my Son and I will accept either, main basis begin both teach Spanish as part of the basic curriculum, my son has a Spanish Grandmother. Both support the performing arts, my Son attends drama classes on a Sat morning. Both also support the Duke of Edinburgh award, my Son has been a member of scouts for nearly 5 years.

I would love two bites but the process may not allow it, the section in the guide can be interpreted as saying they will hear both at the same review, hence my concern about one appeal prejudicing the other.

It works both ways and I don’t want to limit my chances by only appealing for one school either, but if both appeals are to be heard at the same time I might as well be open from the start!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Watdad,

I see what you are saying. I'm not in your area so I'm not going to even try to interpret the rules there!

A friend of mine recently appealed on the 'selectivity' issue. He wanted to appeal to all 3 grammars on the CAF as ANY of those grammars were acceptable to his child. He was advised not to do this as it weakened the case. The friend wouldn't accept this and went forward with 2 appeals. The first one was lost. :evil: He regrouped, got further supporting documents and ditched evidence which he felt didn't do the first case justice. The 2nd appeal was won. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now