Sutton Coldfield Girls School - Birmingham

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lottie

Sutton Coldfield Girls School - Birmingham

Post by lottie »

Hi All

Just to let you know what info I have found out today.

The pass mark for this school is 321. They offered 15 over pan, and I have just asked the school itself what chance anyone on the waiting list has of being offered a place.

They told me hardly any. They said that even if my daughter was in the top three on the waiting list, she hardly had a chance! As last year noone from the waiting list was offered a place!

I then spoke to the LEA (Bham) to ask how many appeals happened last year and how many were successful, and I was told that none were successful!! However, please note that the lady I spoke to did say 'she thinks' and even though I tried to pin her down for a more precise answer she was very vague.

My question - if there is NO chance of being sucessful at appealing, why are we given false hope (even though most of us are sensible and only pin a small amount of hope onto the appeal - if these figures are correct that means NO HOPE).

Also does anyone know out there, whether making us wait untill as late as June is against the new guidelines in the code of admissions?
Kegs Mom 3

Post by Kegs Mom 3 »

Hi Lottie,
So very sorry to hear of your situation.
From the info you have found out today, it does seem as if the waiting lists give false hope. This seems very cruel.
Good Luck to you and all those in this difficult position, let us know how you get on, we're with you.
heronsfly

Post by heronsfly »

Hi Lottie,
really sorry to hear about this awful situation, im in a different area than you so have no advice or ideas, but Im also wondering what the point is in making us all wait so long, my appeals pack arrived today stating that appeals will start in april take place only on school working days, and are expected to go on till JULY .
lottie

Post by lottie »

Hi Kegs Mom 3 and Heronsfly

I can only assume that the reason why appeals take sooooo long to happen is because the're sooooo many of them!

If figures were published every year i.e. we had 187 Appeals and 3 were granted and then state the reason why the 3 were granted (obviously without giving any personal ifo out), then I think it would let vereyone make an INFORMED decision whether to appeal or not. But keeping everything hush hush does only seem to give everyone false hope.

We are appealing for two GS which daughter passed both but not offered a place due to over subscription (other girls were given a place with the same mark but live nearer). One admissions authority are brilliant and give us all the info that they have, but the othe admissions we're dealing with are not so good, and we are hardly given any info.

This web site is brilliant, because it offers support (I have had PM's that have been extremely helpful) and encouraging words from people in the same position or who have been through it previously.

My fingers are permanently crossed!