Net capacity?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PercyMum

Net capacity?

Post by PercyMum »

Hi

I've just received the school's case for our appeal, and as expected it is mainly about the school being oversubscribed and not having capacity for extra pupils. They sent the net capacity numbers, and also projected numbers for the school roll for 2019.

However, I've asked for a net capacity assessment from the LEA, which has just arrived, and shows that the net capacity is 16 more pupils than that claimed by the school. I've also printed out the latest gov data for the school which shows there are (for academic year 2017-18) 38 pupils fewer on the roll than the predicted (Sept 2019) numbers for the school.

PAN hasn't changed, and there was only one successful appeal last year, so - before I go making a fool of myself at the hearing - I'm wondering if a) I'm reading the figures right, and the school are over-estimating the numbers of pupils that could possibly be on the roll for September this year, and also understating net capacity, and b) I'd be able to use the figures I've got to question the school's info, or whether there's something glaringly obvious that I'm missing?

Many thanks
catcool

Re: Net capacity?

Post by catcool »

Is this a Local authority school or an Academy as Academies and Academy Free Schools are not subject to net capacity as there numbers are written into their Funding Agreement with the EFSA .
PercyMum

Post by PercyMum »

It's an academy. Does this mean that the net capacity figures don't matter?

Many thanks
Wildfuture

Post by Wildfuture »

The net capacity would have been from when it was previously a local authority school before converting to an academy, when all available space was literally measured to determine how many pupils a school could hold. As academies receive funding direct from government, it is written into their agreement how many pupils they will be funded for and they are not subject to a net capacity assessment. Whilst the school may have physical space for more pupils (as you've concluded from the old net capacity assessment assuming no building work has altered the layout since it was conducted), the school will not be funded for any additional pupils over the agreed amount in the first year. That's where the argument of the resources and other pupils being prejudiced comes from.
hempsteadlad

Post by hempsteadlad »

The Net Capacity Assessment is daft to start with. Look through the sheet and it will refer to 4 workspaces in this room another 8 in that room - those will include the Headteacher's office and even a medical room. As previous person has said, Academies set their figures by their funding agreement with the DfE. Classroom sizes are more important. Building Bulletin 103 recommends a classroom as being 55 sq m. Most older buildings (and that would include very many Grammar Schools) they are smaller.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now