Council have withdrawn grammar offer 6 weeks after offer day

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rutledge81

Council have withdrawn grammar offer 6 weeks after offer day

Post by Rutledge81 »

My daughter was offered a grammar school place on offer day which was a surprise as she was 3 points below the pass mark for the Medway test. In case we wished to appeal I had placed this particular school on our application to Kent County Council (our local council is KKC). For 6 weeks my daughter has believe she was going to this school, been praised by family and friends, tried on the uniform etc, received induction dates by letter direct from the school. Last Monday we received a letter from Medway Council informing us that KKC had made a data error and wrongly advised Medway Council that my daughter had passed the Kent test which she didn't take/register to take I might add, hence why she was offered a Grammar school place. Because she didn't pass they informed us that they are withdrawing the offer and to refer back to KKC for further advice as it was their error. My daughter is now distraught, low and deflated. I understand she didn't pass so didn't meet the requirements but this kind of mistake shouldn't have been made in the first place and led a child to believe / dream of what was to come.. KKC have sent a new offer but it isn't a school we applied for and not one I/ she wished to go too.
We now have to appeal for the place at the grammar school although we the deadline for appeals has passed. I'm waiting to hear from the school if we will be given a date. As well as the other schools on our first application list that I'll have to appeal at or go on wait lists..
Does anyone have any advice to whether this whole mess will be taken into consideration at appeal??? And do I have grounds to complain to a governing body about this mistake and how my daughter has been treated?
Etienne

Re: Council have withdrawn grammar offer 6 weeks after offer

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

I'm so sorry to hear what has happened.

Here are some previous threads which might be of interest because a place was offered and then withdrawn (although qualification wasn't an issue):
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 35&t=51054" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... aw#p663520" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... t=withdraw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My advice would be similar to that in the above threads - your appeal must cover everything, not just the administrative failure, but also evidence of high academic ability to show that your child should be considered suitable for a selective school, plus sound reasons for wanting/needing a place at the school in question.

Our general guidance on appeals can be seen here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the deadline for appeals has passed
Don't worry - they must still hear your appeal, either with the main batch of appeals, or as soon as practicable afterwards.
Does anyone have any advice to whether this whole mess will be taken into consideration at appeal???
At the very least it ought to get you some sympathy from the panel!
And do I have grounds to complain to a governing body about this mistake and how my daughter has been treated?
I fear the school will just say "Not our fault".

I'm very busy at the moment, but I hope there's enough above to get you started.
Etienne
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

I'm sorry to hear this as I understand the anguish and uncertainty that a withdrawn school place brings (I am the poster from the first example).

Etienne is a voice of experience and authority in these matters, so please do read through the advice given and the replies that will no doubt follow.

Feel free to PM me.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

My appeal panel did take the mess into consideration. They were clearly sympathetic when listening to the case and the impact the withdrawal of a place had had on my family.
Rutledge81

Post by Rutledge81 »

Thank you... I'll read through the threads and advice, thank you so much. It's reassuring to know we aren't alone!
The school have confirmed we will be able to appeal for the place.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

It might be helpful if you can find out whether you would have been offered a place at any of the other schools on your CAF if the council hadn't made the mistake on offer day. You should consider appealing to these schools too.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

streathammum wrote:It might be helpful if you can find out whether you would have been offered a place at any of the other schools on your CAF if the council hadn't made the mistake on offer day. You should consider appealing to these schools too.
that is a very good point, OP might have missed out on 2nd /3rd schools
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The OP should probably also check whether they are now in the waiting list for their other choices. It’s quite possible that may not have happened. If they would have got a place, then they should be at the top of the WL, so at least may get a place at one of their actual CAF choices.
Rutledge81

Post by Rutledge81 »

Hello again. Ok, my saga continues. We have heard from the school with an appeal day hearing and it is a day we are on holiday to attend my sisters wedding. Which is not going to go down well I’m sure. We have never taken our daughter out of school during term time but due to it being nearly end of year / after SATS we decided to go. Does anyone know what happens if you are unable to attend on the date given?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

We have heard from the school with an appeal day hearing and it is a day we are on holiday to attend my sisters wedding
I'm afraid the hearing will probably go ahead without you.
The problem for the panel is that they won't be able to ask you questions.

Is there a friend or relative you could ask to stand in for you, and who is able to represent your interests?
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now