Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Janita

Re: Academic evidence for non-qualification - Letter from sc

Post by Janita »

Perfect - thank you
walidal

Re: Academic evidence for non-qualification - Letter from sc

Post by walidal »

Thank you for posting as useful. Need to beef up the appeal with other means to show child would fit in the grammar environment. For example, how well child achieved on mock exams before actual exam day.
Janita

Sending Appeal documents by post to Essex Appeals - copies?

Post by Janita »

Good Evening

I'm just sorting through all the documents I have obtained within the last few days.
(Appeal: Academic ability - non qualification)

1 Support letter from head providing reading/spelling age & standardised maths test score
(on entry year 6)
2 Copy provided by school of year 5 report (original was given to me in July 2018 - sadly I did not ever think that I might need it again - so its been long gone and binned)
3 Letter from class teacher confirming latest SATs mock results
4 Confirmation of being on "more able/gifted and talented" register
5 More detailed Appeal letter from us as parents (when I logged the appeal at 4am from my phone one morning it was very brief)

Do I include his 11+results sheet from CSSE?

Can I send copies of all of these documents or the originals.

For the actual day I read that it is a good idea to take 5 sets of copies for all of the panel members?

Apologies in advance for all the questions?
Etienne

Re: Sending Appeal documents by post to Essex Appeals - copi

Post by Etienne »

Hi Janita

Could you please stick to one thread on Appeals? - it helps us to have everything to do with your case in one place.
Janita wrote: Do I include his 11+results sheet from CSSE?
No - you can be sure they will know the results. (You could take it with you on the day, but I don't think it will be needed.)
Can I send copies of all of these documents or the originals.
See the Q&As:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For the actual day I read that it is a good idea to take 5 sets of copies for all of the panel members?
No - that refers to last minute evidence which has not previously been submitted.
Apologies in advance for all the questions?
No problem! :)
Etienne
Janita

Post by Janita »

Thank you so much for your prompt reply! Apologies for not keeping to the original thread. And thank you so much for taking time to answer every single little question within the big pool of hundreds of questions.
Janita

Post by Janita »

Dearest Etienne

Thank you so much for all your guidance.

Everything have now been sent off to the Essex Appeals Office.

I feel that we do have a strong case. There were other circumstances on the day of the test as well which I do not wish to discuss here on a public platform. I can only hope that his academic evidence will be helpful to sway his appeal into a positive outcome and all will be considered for a successful appeal.

If not, then that is how it will be.

"You can't win the Lotto if you do not play..."

So, worth appealing as no-one can predict the outcome.

Good luck to everyone appealing (and waiting for movements on waiting lists)
Janita

Appeal Hearing - ESSEX - Colchester Royal Grammar School

Post by Janita »

We've had our appeal hearing on Wednesday for CRGS. I just have a few questions

Firstly, regarding the decision making.

During the Group hearing after the school stated their case someone asked when we would hear about the outcome. The chair said that "all appeal decisions will be made today and official outcome of your appeal would be sent to you in writing in 7-10 days"

So just to check if anyone knows if this is correct? The panel decides on the day - do they collaborate again after all the hearings or do they say "yay or nay" within the 10min between parent appointments?

Secondly - just checking - as this is obviously our first eleven plus experience and appeal experience as well...

On the forum there is a question

"As far as you know, was the representative of the admission authority..."

Is the admission authority the School representative who stated the schools case?

We had the clerk, the chair, a Lay (civilian) and a 10 year retired head teacher on the panel together with the representative from CRGS.

When each of the parents names were called to enter the room at their allocated time slot, the representative from the school was already in the room ready and waiting with the panel. He did exit after each hearing but was then let back into the room before the next case were called in.

It was obviously quite a horrific experience as most parents came out distraught and really upset.

We were okay - but the interrogation from 4 people at a time is quite daunting!
Etienne

Re: Appeal Hearing - ESSEX - Colchester Royal Grammar Schoo

Post by Etienne »

Janita wrote: So just to check if anyone knows if this is correct? The panel decides on the day - do they collaborate again after all the hearings or do they say "yay or nay" within the 10min between parent appointments?
A discussion could (and probably does) take place during the 10 minute gap, but the Appeals Code states:
    • 2.18 Multiple appeals are when a number of appeals have been received in relation to the
      same school. Admission authorities must take all reasonable steps to ensure that multiple
      appeals for a school are heard by one panel with the same members ............ A panel hearing multiple appeals must not make decisions on any of those appeals until all the appeals have been heard.
Is the admission authority the School representative who stated the schools case?
The person presenting the school's case represents the admission authority.
When each of the parents names were called to enter the room at their allocated time slot, the representative from the school was already in the room ready and waiting with the panel. He did exit after each hearing but was then let back into the room before the next case were called in.
This appears to be a breach of the Code:
    • 2.15 Admission authorities must ensure that appeal hearings are held in private, and are
      conducted in the presence of all panel members and parties. One party must not be left
      alone with the panel in the absence of the other.
Etienne
Janita

Post by Janita »

Thank you for moving my question under the same thread and secondly thank you very much for your reply. Very much appreciated.
Janita

Post by Janita »

I've sent an email regarding a statement I feel is private.
Last edited by Janita on Fri May 10, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now