Just to help me do this right...

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
itsme:)

Just to help me do this right...

Post by itsme:) »

In preparing my dd appeal I realise that I need to understand a few things better:

1. The appeal is to an independent panel? If so then I would be wrong to state "your school" ?

2. Should I include a copy of the HT appeal? Information here seems to offer different views:

"The panel may ask if a HT appeal was made so be prepared with an answer."

"Incidentally, the HT advised us not to send in a copy of his appeal as they would then know it had failed! Very wise advice and so we just took information from it and added any additional evidence."

3. What is the process? If the panel approve the appeal do they instruct the school to provide my daughter with a place?

4. Should I include copies of her entire sats progress (school has provided these) or wait until a hearing is provided?

5. There was a writing element to the 11+ yet this is not scored? Is it a factor in the grading?

Many thanks for any help
Etienne

Re: Just to help me do this right...

Post by Etienne »

itsme:) wrote:In preparing my dd appeal I realise that I need to understand a few things better:

1. The appeal is to an independent panel? If so then I would be wrong to state "your school" ? Yes - but it's a common mistake which an appeals panel would take in its stride!

2. Should I include a copy of the HT appeal? Information here seems to offer different views: I suggest not, but you could take it with you in case it's needed.

"The panel may ask if a HT appeal was made so be prepared with an answer."

"Incidentally, the HT advised us not to send in a copy of his appeal as they would then know it had failed! Very wise advice and so we just took information from it and added any additional evidence."

3. What is the process? If the panel approve the appeal do they instruct the school to provide my daughter with a place? Yes, unless non-qualification is being dealt with first, and oversubscription comes later.

4. Should I include copies of her entire sats progress (school has provided these) or wait until a hearing is provided? I would submit everything you have available now. That doesn't stop you submitting any additional information nearer the date of the hearing.

5. There was a writing element to the 11+ yet this is not scored? Is it a factor in the grading? It is up to the panel to decide what weight to give to any evidence, but if there is no score for the writing element, I don't quite see how this could count.

Many thanks for any help
Hope this is of some assistance.
Etienne
itsme:)

Post by itsme:) »

Many thanks for the replies, feels like I'm getting somewhere now :)
Bougalou

Can't sleep eh? Posting at 2 in the morning!

Post by Bougalou »

Know the feeling! - will be glad when we have been able to put our views forward, and maybe I'll get some more shut eye. Still thanks to this forum I do feel that my arguments are becoming more focused and cogent.
Hope you managed to get some sleep
Enjoy the snow today, -I do try to forget about all this during the day, but am finding it very hard.
Best wishes
Bougalou :) :o
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now