Special consideration

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kenyancowgirl

Re: Special consideration

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Turtle - have a look at the appeals section of the forum and the FAQs which are in a sticky at the top.

You need to:
a) Focus on academic ability. Focus on academic ability. Focus on academic ability - yes, it's that important, I said it 3 times! You cannot win an appeal without academic ability - lots of it - the more the merrier - support from primary school is really useful (CAT tests, SATs tests, working in greater depth etc) "References" are ok but need to focus on academic ability - the panel may be pleased to hear what a lovely boy he is and how well he plays the triangle in assembly, but it cannot and will not affect an appeal to an academic selective school.

b) Why that school is a particularly good fit for him. And it's important you phrase it that way round - don't say how marvellous he would be for the school, as the panel could then say, well he'd be marvellous for any school then - say why that particular school meets his needs/strengths etc best. And it could also be that his sibling is there as well, for example.

c) A nod to the extenuating circumstances - I would put a lot of the medical stuff in an appendix so that the information is there, however, at appeal I would briefly explain what happened and how this sent the high blood sugar sent his body into freefall, because his carb/insulin levels hadn't been balanced - this you assume affected his concentration leading up to the point he was made to stop as he was at a critical level. You can only assume, had the test team had a better understanding of his condition he might have been in a smaller more controlled venue, or his condition may have been controlled better in the big venue and he would have been very likely to qualify with a higher rank, you believe.

You cannot win an appeal without good evidence in a) and good reasons in b) but you can win an appeal without c), which is why I would say, give c) proper information but focus on how good he is in a) and b) and how c) just stopped him being the best he could be on the day.
Greenwich Mum

Post by Greenwich Mum »

Dear Turtle,
Kenyancowgirl has summarized everything so well.
I would just like to add that you also need to get a detailed medical support letter from your doctor explaining your son’s medical condition, CGM and the impact high blood sugar levels would have had on him in relation to the exam day.
As a nurse I can understand it so well but it needs to be explained to the panel members property so that they are aware of the effects.
Prepare all the evidence you can gather - academic abilities, reasons for wanting the school and medical.
This site has all the information you need to prepare your appeal and support from knowledgeable people.
Good luck!
turtle

Post by turtle »

Thank you so much to you all for the advice and detailed responses. This forum is wonderful!
I’m still hopeful he may get a place either during the first round or reconsideration but we went to see crypt last night and were really impressed and are going to see marling Monday so we have a good plan B. It’s just STRS is far closer, his brother goes there and life would just be so much easier.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now