Home-schooled and about to appeal - help!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
akpanto

Post by akpanto »

Other things as well...
His older sibling who's already at the GS has got very good grades and scores to date. Should I include her reports in the appeals submission and try to establish a connection?
Etienne, I know your Q&A waters down this particular approach, but I'm really clutching at straws here...
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear akpanto

Ideally one would have liked to see all level 3s for KS1.
I plan to include copies of all reports since KS1, but would welcome some suggestions on what sorts of things to concentrate on in demonstrating academic ability.
I would go through the reports, marking anything that indicates high achievement (rather than effort) in the academic subjects.
"Performing at the equivalent of an 11-yr old" is a good example of the sort of comment needed.

Perhaps you could number the pages for ease of reference at the hearing. I suggest you underline the most useful comments, or draw double vertical lines at the side. (A highlighter might cause problems when the papers are photocopied.)
His older sibling who's already at the GS has got very good grades and scores to date. Should I include her reports in the appeals submission and try to establish a connection?
No, I'm afraid they wouldn't thank you for lumbering them with the sibling's reports! :D - This is not evidence of your son's ability.

Regards
Etienne
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Etienne wrote:
No, I'm afraid they wouldn't thank you for lumbering them with the sibling's reports! :D - This is not evidence of your son's ability.
I've been on the receiving end of that before :shock:
Capers
akpanto

Post by akpanto »

Thanks for the advice. His Yr 4 report (when he was at an Independent School) had him graded in Numeracy, Literacy and Science as "Towards Level 4" for National Curriculum Level; and "Secure Level 3" for Humanities.
According to the school's grading system, Level 3 is awarded to pupils who are exceeding what's expected of 7yr olds while Level 4 is awarded to pupils working at a level consistent with that of an 11yr old.
I'm hoping the panel will see these comments as good evidence of ability (even though it's from an independent school).
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

capers123 wrote:
Etienne wrote:
I've been on the receiving end of that before :shock:
I would plan to do this but only to demonstrate that older sibling is on course to continue into the 6th form and will be at the school when the younger child is admitted. Presumably the panel's eyes wouldn't glaze over at a set of predicted GCSE grades and an offer letter, if the main basis of the appeal is that the appellant already has a sibling at the school?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

No problem in your situation, Marylou - you're referring to oversubscription, and the likelihood of the sibling being admitted into the 6th form.
Etienne
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Thanks, Etienne! :) BTW just in case you haven't spotted it, the 2009 admissions policies document has now gone up on the main BCC website.

Regards

Marylou
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now