Successful Appeal : Example of perseverance

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
11plusreviewBR

Successful Appeal : Example of perseverance

Post by 11plusreviewBR »

Dear Parents,
I wish you and your children all the very best for 11 plus results.
I would like to share our story in anticipation that it might help you deal different outcomes of the result. First thing is, by any chance if your child is not through with 11 plus, don’t lose your hope. Selection review, appeal, 12+, 13+ are various options you can exercise.
If your child is short of a mark or two, you can go through selection review provided head teacher recommendation is 1:1 or 1:2 or 2:1 or 2:2 with out any reservations. If there are any reservation, please seek expert’s advice. If out come of selection review is successful mean, happy days. If it is not the case, you can go to appeal. However, in appeal you need to prove that selection review is wrong. It is almost impossible to prove that selection review was not as per the set standards. Seat availability during selection review will be more compared to seats availability at the time of appeal. Year to year, this might vary. But predominantly, I feel more seats are available during selection review.
In case if you skip selection review, you can go for an appeal. In this scenario, your focus should be why Grammar school is good for your child. Have every evidence in hand to present it to judges. If your child scored 121 still did not get the seat, your focus should be how your child will be benefited from school. If child is short of few marks, your focus should be how strong child academically, was there any medical conditions etc. Happy outcome could be successful appeal and seat is granted in grammar school. Unhappy path is appeal rejection. In case of rejection, stop worrying about and look forward for 12 plus exam. In 12 plus exam, who ever score high will have bright chance to secure a seat provided there are vacancies. Assume that, your kid passes 12 plus and no seats, you can go for appeal. So, all you need is patience and strong desire.
Just to motivate you all, I am sharing my personal experience. I have twin girls, one passed and one missed by less than half mark. We did not go to selection review as recommendation was 2:3 with small reservation. We went for an appeal and it was unsuccessful. Two of my three kids are already going to grammar school, the one who is missed was very sensitive and very sincere. It was very hard to manage her disappointment. We all were sad of the situation, but never gave up. We took time to settle down. Just few months before 12 plus, my family helped little girl with preparation and she passed the exam. However, there were no seats. So, I was advised by this forum to appeal. During appeal, school had a strong case why they can’t create additional seat and I had my case presentation explaining how my kid will get benefited from grammar school. By God grace, great help from this forum and due to our team work, appeal was successful. Now, both girls go to same grammar school and we all are happy. Now, I am learning again to apply for university. Learning never stop…
This is a great forum. Etienne gave unconditional support through the process. All the people here are doing a noble work. Never lose hope, it is like a rope and will help you come out of tricky situation. Grammar school is one way of finding a success path, however it is not the only path…
I wish no one go through the appeal process, however if situation demand to go through appeal, be confident and you might be successful. I learnt a lot during the journey, now we are more confident to deal the tough situations. Thanks for going through my lengthy message, I hope details might help you. I request you to seeks advice from forum experts before planning your next steps. All the very best.
Etienne

Re: Successful Appeal : Example of perseverance

Post by Etienne »

Wonderful news! :D

It's been a long journey.

The main points, as I recall them, are:

• Twin no.1 qualified at 11+, but sadly not twin no.2 who missed by less than half a mark!
• Appeal in 2018 was unsuccessful. Panel didn't believe headteacher's statement that twin no.2 would achieve 111-120/GDS at KS2.
• We took the case to the ESFA, raising a number of concerns about the panel's decision making.
• ESFA rejected the complaint. (The more I see of their complaint handling, the more I feel that they are not nearly as good at investigating as the Ombudsman.)
• Twin no.2 achieved 111-120/GDS at KS2, exactly as predicted.
• Started at non-selective school in September.
• Sat the 12+ (late selection test) in January.
• Qualified - but no places available at twin no.1's grammar school.
• Went to appeal again.
• Success! :D

If at first you don't succeed ...... !
    • "It's ok to not to succeed. Not succeeding does not shape your personality; it's how you react ...... Do you dust yourself off and mope or do you dust yourself off and come back stronger the next time? Eventually you will win. It may not happen the next time, it may take a little time but you will win in the end."
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now