Our 11+ journey

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: Our 11+ journey

Post by Etienne »

I think you have to point out that the head has already explained that progress in Y6 has been exceptional. Accelerated progress sometimes happens with greater maturity in the course of Y6. If the head had wanted to be over-optimistic, he wouldn't have given a 3:1 recommendation originally. It was following discussions with the Y6 class teacher that he no longer had any reservations. This was a carefully thought through decision. There is hard evidence of grammar school suitability in Y6. What reason is there to overrule the professional judgement of the headteacher and class teacher in this case?

There is no direct correlation between the transfer test and SATs, and there is no requirement to qualify in individual parts of the transfer test.

I don't know how easy it is to contact the headteacher, but could you let him see what the AA rep has said and ask if he would put something in writing for you to send back? He might be rather put out to have his professional opinion challenged, and willing to refute the AA rep's comment!
Is there a requirement for children to have been working at greater depth since KS1 to be seen as grammar school standard?
No, there's no requirement - but questions may be asked if there's a history of EXS most years, followed by high predictions for KS2.
Etienne
Darewehope

Post by Darewehope »

don't know how easy it is to contact the headteacher, but could you let him see what the AA rep has said and ask if he would put something in writing for you to send back? He might be rather put out to have his professional opinion challenged, and willing to refute the AA rep's comment!
Sadly I have been on long days this week and back again tomorrow so no time to contact the headteacher. I need to reply by 6pm tomorrow.

There is no direct correlation between the transfer test and SATs, and there is no requirement to qualify in individual parts of the transfer test.
Should I make this as a point or are you just reassuring me!

Thank you so much for all your help. I am finding it stressful, I just don't feel like I have made a very good job of this. I'll be glad when it is all over!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Should I make this as a point ....... ?
I was undecided! On reflection I think it's best left for your information only.
Etienne
Darewehope

Post by Darewehope »

Thank you
Darewehope

Post by Darewehope »

Good evening

Just sent in our responses to the 2 appeals and wanted to take this opportunity to say thank you to Etienne and everyone else that has supported me through the last 8 months. The forum has been such a great resource. I think I have read every page now! It is a lovely community where no question is too silly and the advice given is so constructive and helpful.

Even though we do not have the strongest case I truly feel that we gave it our best shot and that would not have been possible without this forum. I am so glad I found it whilst desperately searching for information on the night of 18th October!

Keep up the good work!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Darewehope wrote:Just sent in our responses to the 2 appeals and wanted to take this opportunity to say thank you to Etienne and everyone else that has supported me through the last 8 months. The forum has been such a great resource. I think I have read every page now! It is a lovely community where no question is too silly and the advice given is so constructive and helpful.

Even though we do not have the strongest case I truly feel that we gave it our best shot and that would not have been possible without this forum. I am so glad I found it whilst desperately searching for information on the night of 18th October!

Keep up the good work!
Thanks so much for your really kind post. :D
Glad if we've been of help.
It's a very tough process to have to go through, but you know you've done your very best.
Good luck!
Etienne
Darewehope

Post by Darewehope »

Just had the letters through for both appeals and wanted to update the forum as I always found it frustrating when I had read a whole thread and didn’t get to find out the outcome!

We were unsuccessful for both appeals which I am disappointed about but it is not the devastation I felt in October. I just want to reassure people that may be reading this in the future and have just found out that there child has not done as well as was expected. It is not as awful as it may seem right now, I never thought I would accept that my son would not go to a grammar school! I found the whole process challenging but now in hindsight I think it was actually quite healing. I am super proud of my son, I know he will do well and I’m glad we got the opportunity to write everything down and were given a chance to appeal. I would never deter anyone from appealing but at the same time always have in the back of your mind that it may not be successful. I think that has helped me a lot.

My son has his induction session at the local school today which he was looking forward to. We had a really positive parents meeting last night and as I said we are so proud of all that he has achieved.

Good luck to everyone that is waiting for decisions or just starting the whole process. Finally thank you again to everyone that has helped me. I will never forget what you have done.
Weakandwobbly

Post by Weakandwobbly »

Darewehope wrote:Just had the letters through for both appeals and wanted to update the forum as I always found it frustrating when I had read a whole thread and didn’t get to find out the outcome!

We were unsuccessful for both appeals which I am disappointed about but it is not the devastation I felt in October. I just want to reassure people that may be reading this in the future and have just found out that there child has not done as well as was expected. It is not as awful as it may seem right now, I never thought I would accept that my son would not go to a grammar school! I found the whole process challenging but now in hindsight I think it was actually quite healing. I am super proud of my son, I know he will do well and I’m glad we got the opportunity to write everything down and were given a chance to appeal. I would never deter anyone from appealing but at the same time always have in the back of your mind that it may not be successful. I think that has helped me a lot.

My son has his induction session at the local school today which he was looking forward to. We had a really positive parents meeting last night and as I said we are so proud of all that he has achieved.

Good luck to everyone that is waiting for decisions or just starting the whole process. Finally thank you again to everyone that has helped me. I will never forget what you have done.
I just wanted to quickly say and big well done to you for fighting for your child. It was not the result you were hoping for, but your attitude is brilliant, and your child will do well with a parent like you. Best wishes to you both.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Darewehope wrote:Just had the letters through for both appeals and wanted to update the forum as I always found it frustrating when I had read a whole thread and didn’t get to find out the outcome!

I have been following your story and just had to say I really admire your attitude and your perseverance. I would have done exactly the same. Your child is fortunate to have a parent like you. Best wishes.