Already had appeal for Glos have some questions for next app

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Smilez

Already had appeal for Glos have some questions for next app

Post by Smilez »

I would like some guidance for my next appeal in July.

I had appealed for Stroud High School last week she did not qualify but I had extenuating circumstances.

I provided letter for my health, Also, her SATs predicated.

I dont understand with the above circumstances she still didnt get the offer.

They asked me stuff about did I do anything help prepare my daughter and I said I used the material provided by the grammar schools to familiarise herself.

Thank you so much.
Last edited by Smilez on Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Etienne

Re: Already had appeal for Glos have some questions for next

Post by Etienne »

Smilez wrote:I provided letter from the doctor for my health
Sorry to hear you've not been well.
my daughter was sick couple of days before her exam
The panel may well have taken the view that she should not have been sent in to take the test if she wasn't fit to do so.
Also, her SATs I dont understand with the above circumstances she still didnt get the offer.
We don't know what her SATs were, or whether there was any other academic evidence.
See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also it's not clear if you put forward good reasons for seeking a place (sufficient to outweigh any prejudice to the school):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They also said something about if we helped her in year 6 because she had made so much progress my husband said she did extra homework and worksheets in the evenings by her willing to challenge herself. Do you think I shouldn't say this next time?
It sounds as if they were puzzled by a sudden jump in standard since Y5? It might have helped if the current school had commented on this, e.g. "showing much greater maturity".
The other thing we mentioned was that her pencil and her rubber kept dropping this showed that she was tired and exhausted after her sickness. This resulted in loss of time and Mark's. Should we mention this in the next appeal?
Is there any evidence? Did the invigilator notice? Did you mention it to the school after the test?
If something like this is raised for the first time at appeal, it may not sound too convincing.

However, what usually matters most is a really strong academic case, and sound reasons for wanting a place at the school in question.
Etienne
Smilez

Post by Smilez »

Definitely agree with about maturity she all of sudden picked everything up very quickly we are all even surprised at her progress. I have already pointed this down when I finished the meeting with Stroud to mention that next time.

My daughter mentioned this that her pencil kept dropping on the day. We didn't mention this on the statement but the the invegilator wrote this down and the panel mentioned it when they ask how was she on the day to the school administrator. Should we not mention this next time as it looks bad?

Thank you for your help.
Smilez

Post by Smilez »

My daughter told us after the test about her pencil and rubber kept dropping I didnt mention it to the school because I didnt think I should or I am allowed is this bad impression that her pencil was dropping? Doesn't this indicate she was tired?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

the invegilator wrote this down and the panel mentioned it when they ask how was she on the day to the school administrator. Should we not mention this next time as it looks bad?
If you're saying that there is evidence (namely, the invigilator recorded what happened), it might be worth mentioning - but you still have the problem that most panels will probably think that she shouldn't have sat the test at that time if she wasn't in a fit state.

I'd be more concerned about the strength of the academic case, and reasons for wanting a place. For a successful appeal, these are probably going to be much more significant factors than extenuating circumstances.
Etienne
Smilez

Post by Smilez »

To be honest there is no clarification or breakdown of what does fit for test form mean... she was fine she looked fine but maybe mentally she was exhausted.

Reason for wanting place

loves Maths and she does Maths challenges with her friends and family. She was
excited that the school participates in the UK Mathematics Challenge.

Her best friend will be going to Stroud High School. She will feel more at ease knowing
that they are going to be together in the same school.

Could you please let me know the things I shouldn't mention or things I should especially the reason for wanting a place. I would really like to improve myself in next appeal.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Smilez wrote:To be honest there is no clarification or breakdown of what does fit for test form mean...
The responsibility lies with parents - they already have to decide from time to time whether their child is well enough to attend school.

They will probably see the test as more important than a routine school day, in which case they ought to 'play safe' and not take any risk that their child may not be fit enough to complete the test.
maybe mentally she was exhausted.
'Maybe' sounds a bit speculative? :?

(I'm not making any judgement here - just trying to subject your case to the sort of scrutiny it might get from an appeal panel.)

As a general rule, if parents do decide to send their child in to take the test, they may not get much sympathy if they claim afterwards that the child wasn't in a fit state.

An exception could be if the child becomes unexpectedly ill during the test. In this situation the panel will consider all the available evidence. Did the invigilator observe that the child looked unwell? Did the child finish the test? Was the child taken to the GP afterwards? Was the child subsequently absent from school?
loves Maths and she does Maths challenges with her friends and family. She was
excited that the school participates in the UK Mathematics Challenge.
Does the maths department offer anything else?
Also, the current school ought to confirm her very considerable interest in and aptitude for maths.
Do her school reports show that there is something exceptional about her maths?
Her best friend will be going to Stroud High School. She will feel more at ease knowing that they are going to be together in the same school.
Unfortunately lots of parents say this. It's obviously nice to have a friend nearby, but is there a particular reason why it is so important in this case? (See below for an example.)
Otherwise it's unlikely to carry much weight. Friendship patterns change, and many children make new friends when they're at secondary school.
Could you please let me know the things I shouldn't mention or things I should
Why not read the Q&As? :wink:
..... especially the reason for wanting a place
Follow the link I gave yesterday. It discusses strong (and weak) arguments. For example:
    • (vi) There are strong medical or social reasons why your child needs to attend this particular school. (These are often the most compelling reasons, but you will need proof, and you will need to demonstrate convincingly why this school is the best solution.)

For example, there might be strong evidence from the primary school and from the family GP that (1) there is a history of the child having been seriously bullied, (2) all the bullies will be going to the allocated school, and (3) this is a vulnerable child who needs the support of friends, all of whom will be going to the school being appealed for.
Clearly it's no good claiming an argument, unless there is evidence to support it.
Etienne
Smilez

Post by Smilez »

@Etienne

My daughter's teacher is writing a letter about the progress and that she has shown greater maturity. Is there anything else she should include or the words she should say that may help with the appeal?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Smilez wrote:@Etienne
My daughter's teacher is writing a letter about the progress and that she has shown greater maturity. Is there anything else she should include or the words she should say that may help with the appeal?
Hi

Did the Q&As not help?
    • "We have spoken to the school and they are willing to support our appeal. As this is going to be new for them, they want to know what to put in their supporting letter."
Etienne
Smilez

Post by Smilez »

@Etienne

I had my appeal yesterday and I was very anxious before and throughout and in some of the questions my mind went blank.. I have always suffered with this and because of my anxiety I struggle with presentation, meetings, team meetings. My brain processes information slowly and it takes time for my brain understand the question.

I wanted to ask you a question am I able to email the panel clerk and let her know all this?