Non qualification

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hamp

Non qualification

Post by hamp »

Hi all
My son failed by one mark for AGSB , and few marks for Sale and Urmston . Passed For Strettford. I applied for internal review in Urmston. He needed 3 marks . I attached school report where he scored in all subjects above national expected standard and baseline SATS report said maths 112/120, Reading 109/120 which was conducted at the 3rd week of September. The review came back as unsuccessful and the letter said the academic evidence doesn't compensate exam scores.

I lost my dad during holidays and very close family friend who is local grand father was diagnosed with terminal illness. I was really not in real senses and some how my son went and wrote exams. Whole family was in shock state. I didn't even fill special circumstances form in as I was not in a right state of mind to think I was going through mitigating circumstances.
My question is what chances I have in appeal for AGSB for 1 mark. What scores he needs to achieve in SATS to compensate the exam scores. Please can someone guide me through. I am really upset and still not recovered from bereavement.

Thanks lot
From Very upset Mum
Etienne

Re: Non qualification

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
My question is what chances I have in appeal for AGSB for 1 mark
To be so close is certainly a point in your favour, but we don't know enough about your case as a whole, and in any event it is very difficult to estimate the chances of success at an appeal:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... school#c20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I lost my dad during holidays and very close family friend
Assuming that you didn't tell your son's school that the whole family including your son was in a state of shock, did they notice that he was upset and not his usual self?
Or was his routine school work at the beginning of the autumn term not up to his usual standard?
I attached school report where he scored in all subjects above national expected standard and baseline SATS report said maths 112/120, Reading 109/120
He needs to be not just above average, but well-above the expected standard.
Maths looks just about all right. Reading needs to be a bit higher. We don't know whether Writing is at greater depth.

For academic evidence, see:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For extenuating circumstances, see:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And for an appeal, as opposed to a review, you will need good reasons for wanting a place at the school being appealed for:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps.
Etienne
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi hamp and welcome to the forum, sorry to hear that you have had a bad time recently. Etienne has given you lots of advice above - I wasn't typing fast enough :wink: Can I check that you put Strettford and AGSB on the CAF?
hamp

Post by hamp »

hermanmunster wrote:Hi hamp and welcome to the forum, sorry to hear that you have had a bad time recently. Etienne has given you lots of advice above - I wasn't typing fast enough :wink: Can I check that you put Strettford and AGSB on the CAF?
Yes I did. AGSB (this was super hope) was my first second is Strettford. We are in catchment for AGSB and not for Strettford but within 3.1 mile
hamp

Post by hamp »

Thanks a lot Etienne. Very useful information. I think you are right. My son was still going through tough time until beginning of October. Might have performed under in Class SATS as well. I will ask the school teacher if they will do another SATS in this term. School report only says above national expected standard . There is no column to say well above expected standard. I will find out if the head teacher would include that in her letter . May be that is the reason in Urmston the review didn't get through.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

There is no column to say well above expected standard.
I'm afraid many school reports don't distinguish. They weren't designed with reviews and appeals in mind!
May be that is the reason in Urmston the review didn't get through.
It's more likely that the scaled score for Reading was a factor. 109 = above the expected level. 111-120 would be well-above the expected level.
I think he would also have needed GDS for Writing.
Etienne
hamp

Post by hamp »

Hi Etienne

My child had another test this week. The scores are for reading 114, and for maths 116. His writing also at greater depth. But the teacher said they will more pieces of writing as evidence. Can I use this scores in appeal or should I have to use the September one. But in September we were still going through tough time . Please advice.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

hamp wrote:Hi Etienne

My child had another test this week. The scores are for reading 114, and for maths 116. His writing also at greater depth. But the teacher said they will more pieces of writing as evidence. Can I use this scores in appeal or should I have to use the September one. But in September we were still going through tough time . Please advice.
Yes, you can certainly provide more up to date information for an appeal. The deadline for new evidence is usually a week or two before the appeal hearing.
Etienne
hamp

Post by hamp »

Hi Etienne
Thanks for your reply. I thought I am only allowed to use the scores which are obtained in the school as the same time as entrance test happened. Is this not a case . As children will have progressed from September to December and from December to March. Only appeals will take place during April I think. So how will they compare the child performance and decide. I am sure there will be more tests will take place from now till March. I am a bit confused . Really sorry to bother you with this .
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

hamp wrote:Hi Etienne
Thanks for your reply. I thought I am only allowed to use the scores which are obtained in the school as the same time as entrance test happened. Is this not a case . As children will have progressed from September to December and from December to March. Only appeals will take place during April I think. So how will they compare the child performance and decide. I am sure there will be more tests will take place from now till March. I am a bit confused . Really sorry to bother you with this .
Don't worry - there's no requirement that academic evidence can only be considered up to the date of the entrance test.

The Appeals Code says there must be "evidence to demonstrate that the child is of the required academic standards, for example, school reports giving Year 5/Year 6 SAT results or a letter of support from their current or previous school clearly indicating why the child is considered to be of grammar school ability".

The panel can consider all the academic evidence you make available.

See also "Late evidence":
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne