Appeals this summer and COVID-19

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hempsteadlad

Re: Appeals this summer and COVID-19

Post by hempsteadlad »

I have come to the conclusion that some so called experts on this site know very little up to date news. Or have even bothered to find out.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

hempsteadlad wrote:I have come to the conclusion that some so called experts on this site know very little up to date news. Or have even bothered to find out.

Feedback to the site indicates that people overwhelmingly appreciate the support and advice that is given by a range of experienced people. The moderators and members of the forum also appreciate people being polite and courteous and I would refer you to the forum rules (etiquette section - quoted below) if you are unsure how to phrase posts. If you find the the forum is not helpful to you, you do not have to remain a member.
Forum Etiquette

13. Be polite. Even though you are looking at a computer screen and cannot see other members, they are real people who have feelings.

14. “Think first, post second.” A post may not always read the same to others as it does to you. Review your post before submitting it and consider how it will be received by others. If your post is misinterpreted and causes offence, explain and apologise.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Well this has been an interesting read, but most importantly, Capers it’s been a long time. How the devil are you?

FWIW. Experts you have my vote!
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

hempsteadlad wrote:I have come to the conclusion that some so called experts on this site know very little up to date news. Or have even bothered to find out.
Then visit the appeals guidance area and make some recommendations to the moderators about how it could be improved. I see the regular postings thanking the experts on here so they are clearly helping lots but it seems you have panel experience or something else that might add to the guidance. The sign of a true community coming together is wishing for it to succeed and providing helpful input rather than dragging people down.
Azaanbutt

Post by Azaanbutt »

I have had an email from
The clerk today telling me that upton court appeal will be in Zoom on Friday . A bit short notice.

I Am really nervous, I have never done an appeal before. I don’t know what they are going to ask me. I Have appealed on performance if the day.

Pls could some 1 tell me what questions they were asked eg why my son wants to go to this school etc

Thank you ☺️
mummykat84

Post by mummykat84 »

I have received an email from SHSG and the appeals will now be in June and they are written only, no other contact.

I have already submitted a substantial appeal pack but need to elaborate on each of my appendices.

Has anyone any advice please? I was hoping that in person I could get my points across and interact with the panel. Now it is purely based on my written work and I’m worried this will let my daughter down :(

Thank you
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

I found this site absolutely invaluable when I desperately needed advice. Thanks to the forum moderators and experiences shared by parents on the forum, I was able to organise evidence about my child into a concise and relevant case. This has resulted in him now being happily settled in a school he loves. So thank you again from me, and good luck to everyone with their forthcoming appeals.
Stay safe everyone x
hempsteadlad

Post by hempsteadlad »

mummykat84 wrote:I have received an email from SHSG and the appeals will now be in June and they are written only, no other contact.

I have already submitted a substantial appeal pack but need to elaborate on each of my appendices.

Has anyone any advice please? I was hoping that in person I could get my points across and interact with the panel. Now it is purely based on my written work and I’m worried this will let my daughter down :(

Thank you
I am surprised no one has advised you that what the school are planning to do does not meet the new regulations or guidance. Clerks have been instructed to see if parents can use video link or a telephone conference call and only then if they can't hear the appeal on paper. Any decision on how the appeal is heard is a matter for the panel and not the school. Where is the independence in the process? You should complain to the LGO if a maintained school or the EFSA is an Academy.
Wildfuture

Post by Wildfuture »

Can you post the exact wording where its stated the panel make the decision on how appeals are heard?
hempsteadlad

Post by hempsteadlad »

Wildfuture wrote:Can you post the exact wording where its stated the panel make the decision on how appeals are heard?

In line with the temporary regulations, where a face-to-face appeal is not possible, the appellant should be offered a hearing by telephone or video conference wherever possible.

The appeal panel can decide to hold the hearing remotely if they are satisfied that:

the parties will be able to present their cases fully
each participant has access to video or telephone facilities allowing them to engage in the hearing at all time
the appeal hearing is capable of being heard fairly and transparently in this way
Where these conditions cannot be met, the temporary regulations allow an appeal panel to make their decision on the basis of written information submitted only. In order for the panel to make a decision which is fair and transparent, they must ensure that the parties are able to fully present their case by way of written submissions.

IT CLEARLY SAYS THE APPEAL PANEL CAN DECIDE. IT DOES NOT SAY THE SCHOOL OR THE LOCAL AUTHORITY.