Kent Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
heronsfly

Post by heronsfly »

Hi, thanks for reply,feel a bit saner now.yes the two schools we aplied to are barton court and langton girls, barton court is the one I had to apply for direct to school,but no requests on either reply for more info.
lovespizza

Post by lovespizza »

Hello,

Am thinking that the different ways of dealing with the appeals is because Barton Court is a foundation school that organizes its own appeals all be it via KCC. The langton girls (not sure about boys) appeals are I believe organized directly by KCC ( Kent County Council) So no need to worry! hope this helps and wishing you well
heronsfly

Post by heronsfly »

Hi, I think we have all got our dates now,so the nerves and the waiting builds up again, I wonder if anyone knows if there are any places at the canterbury gs all the schools are saying that they are now oversubscribed after reallocation day. A little bit of me wishes they would just tell us if they have no places at all.
cindy

Post by cindy »

Hi there,

I was v nervous on the day/ I cried ALL the way through the appeal. It did not seem to mater too much as I had prepared the paperwork, and shown my Son's CONSISTENT acheivment, throughout the years.

It does not matter if the school has places, or not. This is not the prime consideration. If the appeal panel feels that your child will benifit from being at this school, they will allow the appeal, almost regardless of places.

I am sure that some schools do say they are full to bursting, when perhaps it is not very acurate. knowing that they will have some children
will get through on appeal, and that they will then not end up so oversubscribed.

We were told that the school we were appealing for was full to bursting, but Christophers appeal was allowed.

good luck to you,

Cindyx
twinmum

Post by twinmum »

im worried about the schools being full too! im told that the two we are appealing to our both full but then you still hear of sucsessful appeals so surely theres hope?

im feeling slightly better now having read this thread,its a worrying time we have 18 days left now until our appeal then days of waiting after and its so hard.

good luck!
cindy

Post by cindy »

:D

I think it is possible to allow yourself to give too much thought to the school saying they are full to bursting point. I do know of parents who spent a lot of time trying to disprove this so that in the appeal, they can show that the school must have space.

However, there would be no point in the appeal if they could not grant it irrospective of the fact the school was full.

In the appeal, the schools representative stated thier case (full to bursting)
we were asked for our response to this. We said that we accepted that this was the case made by the school. The panel all looked very relieved that we didnt launch into a verbal tit for tat. Instead 99% of the time was spent
discussing Christophers good education career.

Chris scored 124, 128, 114 in kent, so was one short. (has since been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome )

I do know of a child six points short last year who gained a place on appeal.

If you treat it like a job interview, I assume it would be good if they can see consistent achievement, proof, say copies of SAT's results. There are only two or three SATs results until the 11 plus. If these are good results,
they must seem to point towards the test result just being a blip on the day. I did ask to look at Christophers test paper prior to the appeal. I was allowed to see it, but not take it away. I cant say I knew what I was looking for on it exactely, but the lady at the council office, did point out
that to get his score, he had answered, say, the first half of the paper, most of which were correct, and the other half of the paper had not been attempted. She suggested that this would appear to show that time was an issue for him. This was useful to know.

appologies for my spelling. :shock:

Cindy
heronsfly

Post by heronsfly »

Thanks Cindy and twinmum, I think I will have a head of grey hair at the end of this, our HT told us back at the beginning that there will always be a small percent of places for parental appeals this could only be one or two though.and when you hear that a school has up to 70 appeals its a bit daunting. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now