Offered a place then the offer was withdrawn

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kenyancowgirl

Re: Offered a place then the offer was withdrawn

Post by kenyancowgirl »

They probably did check it - and, even if they didn’t, any change is time stamped so at appeal they will know it was only changed after the place was withdrawn.
namelessrus

Post by namelessrus »

kenyancowgirl wrote:They probably did check it - and, even if they didn’t, any change is time stamped so at appeal they will know it was only changed after the place was withdrawn.
Probably but it proves nothing.... it was a technical error on my side that we forgot to update it with them move etc.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

the admission authority wrote:the fact remains that **** is required to live at that address for the majority of the week at time of application, which we do not believe to be the case.
I'm surprised that the school do not explain what their belief is based on. At appeal they should be pressed to justify their decision - both by the panel and by you.
We can speculate about all the possibilities, but it seems to me only fair that you should know exactly what their case against you is.
namelessrus wrote:..... it proves nothing....
I don't think absolute proof will be required of anyone.
The panel's decision should be based on 'the balance of probability' - taking everything into account.
Etienne
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

So it would appear that they require you to be living at the address at the time that f application, which I’m assuming must have been when CAF was submitted.
On 29th October you state that you are living in SW London. So unless you moved in the intervening day, from my limited knowledge it would appear you didn’t comply ?!
solimum

Post by solimum »

The OP said this:
I did inform KCC of this decision back in 2019 and they raised no objections.
Does this mean someone in KCC said "of course you can apply if he's not in a Kent primary school and you're planning to move here" but failed to add any caveats?
namelessrus

Post by namelessrus »

stroudydad wrote:So it would appear that they require you to be living at the address at the time that f application, which I’m assuming must have been when CAF was submitted.
On 29th October you state that you are living in SW London. So unless you moved in the intervening day, from my limited knowledge it would appear you didn’t comply ?!
I moved before the cut off date in December 2019.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I had some friends move to Kent to be IC as their DD did well in the Kent test but didn’t score highly. They had a tenancy agreement by end of October and had their residential property they owned exchanged and sold by end of November. They took a hit on the price to sell so quickly. They had registered with a GP, etc all by the December cut off. They very soon bought somewhere near the school too. They had all sorts of proof in case challenged including season tickets from their new home. the fact mum had given up her part time job to drive their DD to and from her old school etc. Their old home was about five miles away so their DD still attending the same primary school was not deemed odd. They did get asked for proof but KCC seemed genuinely happy with it and they do not discourage people genuinely moving IC. So OP is KCC who are not usually very strict on moves IC are questioning it then it does seem odd which is why people are asking questions about what proof you’ve been able to provide.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Is your name still on the tenancy agreement or mortgage of your ex's home?
Has there been a clear separation or could the civil think there is a chance you are living separately in order for one of you to live in catchment? (Sorry if that sounds insensitive but I know of a couple who did this - for primary school, bizarrely enough).
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

If a place is withdrawn are you still able to make a fresh (late) application? You could have your son live with you full time from now, or every weeknight, and apply on that basis, with all the evidence people have suggested. Second round of offers in Kent is at the end of April and there will probably be places freed up at your chosen school once those offers are accepted; if you're in Tunbridge Wells and so is the school, you ought to be top of the waiting list.

Does your son have an alternative school place for next year now? Is that in Kent too?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now