Appeals (Bucks & Slough)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Azaanbutt

Appeals (Bucks & Slough)

Post by Azaanbutt »

Hi there

I need some advice, my son got 120 in his bucks test.. I am going for selection review...

His reports from reception to year 1 have all been GDS... I spoke to the head teacher and she told me that his teacher will give a report and the head will sign the report.

I had breast operation due to my cancer... in August and I was in hospital so my son was stressed... could that me mentioned... because my son is a top performer in his school.

Pls advice me
scary mum

Re: Selection review

Post by scary mum »

Welcome to the forum. Have you read this section?

If you have questions after reading all of this please come back and ask.

I moved your thread to appeals and have re-named it so that it is easy to find amongst all the other similar threads.
scary mum
Azaanbutt

Appeals (Slough)

Post by Azaanbutt »

My son scored 104 in slough consortium. I have done a late appeal. When my son had is exams I was in hospital had a operation due to breast cancer.

I have sent the appeal with doctors letters and my sons report, which was amazing from the school as he is in GDS.

I did not add the schools on CAF. The clerk emailed me to
Let me know to add the school on and I would do a late appeal. But they have all my documents.

I Am just wondering, with a score of 104, has any one ever won a appeal. The school did an amazing recommendation. Pls advise me

Thank you
Etienne

Re: Appeals

Post by Etienne »

I Am just wondering, with a score of 104, has any one ever won a appeal.
I'm afraid I don't know, but the success rate for the Slough consortium is probably not encouraging.

It's not impossible if you have a really strong case. Scary mum has pointed you towards the Q&As, so you will already be aware of the two things you need:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!
Etienne
Azaanbutt

Re: Appeals (Slough)

Post by Azaanbutt »

I have appealed to all 4 slough consortium schools. The clerk messaged me and said there will be 4 different hearings.

I had cancer last year and an operation in August 2019. So I have sent special circumstances letter from doctors and hospital. I mentioned that this effected my son. I also did a selection review with bucks and was successful.

But omg .., My son is on a waiting list for burnham grammer number 234. He will never get the school with that number.

Also the appeal this year is webcam, as the clerk mentioned it to me on my email. That might be better
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Azaanbutt wrote: I also did a selection review with bucks and was successful.
So have you been offered a place in a Bucks grammar school?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The post above says they are number 234 on the BGS waiting list.
scary mum
Azaanbutt

Post by Azaanbutt »

Even though I won the selection review... he is still on waiting list number 234... and some of my friends children who live local got a place... I think it’s unfair and I have emailed bucks council for a appeal.

I have nothing to loose. If I knew this was the case I would have never done a selection review.., which was time consuming
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Roughly how far from the school do you live? If other local people have got in & you haven't they must be higher up the admissions criteria than you, for example siblings, or pupil premium.
This doesn't make it unfair, as long as they gave followed the published criteria.
scary mum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Azaanbutt wrote:Even though I won the selection review... he is still on waiting list number 234... and some of my friends children who live local got a place... I think it’s unfair ....
The most likely alternative to giving priority to qualified local children would have been to allocate places in descending score order. If your son scored below 121, it seems unlikely that he would have got a place under that system either. (The review panel only decides qualified status - it doesn't try and fix a new score.)
And your friends might have lost their places to children who live even further away than you, but who scored very highly.
Etienne