Result of 118 (.75) - selection review? (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tamisara

Re: Result of 118 (.75) - selection review? (Bucks)

Post by tamisara »

I've contacted BCC twice now (once before your post Etienne, I phoned the general line and pleaded with a lovely man, who sent me the same link you did), then again last night, but explaining that it was time critical, as the head is doing the form this afternoon. Still haven't heard back, despite quite clearly asking for a phone call. I know they're busy, but have the proof I've asked for help at least.

I almost want to contact her teacher to tell her that my 'form' she wanted me to fill in before this afternoon, was already done and in their email box (as I'm certain that it was that she was referring to), but will wait and hope they phone me if they cannot find it.

Deb70, thank you. We are not OOC, not sure why they don't know what to do, think it may be because the original head (who does know), now shares with another, who is new. My main concern was that I requested the selection review pack twice.

Thanks all.
tamisara

Post by tamisara »

I have the headteacher's sheet. If I post the figures they have put would someone be able to tell me what then mean? Thank you.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi tamisara

I'm busy at the moment but could try and help later this evening.
Etienne
tamisara

Post by tamisara »

GRAMMAR SCHOOL SUITABILITY
1 = Exceptionally highly able so very highly recommended
2 = Very able so recommended without any reservation
3 = Recommended with reservation
4 = Not recommended for grammar school

ATTITUDE TO LEARNING
1 = Enjoys challenge and is a highly motivated independent
learner
2 = Consistently hard working and reliable
3 = Output varies
4 = Lacks self-organisation, requires support

So 2.2 on that scale, it looks quite good to me, but reading other threads others seem to get 1.1

Reading: (End of yr) Y2 - GDS; Y3 Working at Greater Depth (GDS); Y4 GDS; Y5 GDS; Predicted Y6 111-120.

Writing: (End of yr) Y2- EXS; Y3 Has met (EXS); Y4 EXS; Y5 EXS; Predicted end of Y6 Working at Greater Depth (GDS)

Maths: (End of yr) Y2 - GDS; Y3 - GDS; Y4 GDS; Y5 - working at greater depth (GDS); Predicted Y6 111-120.

They mentioned that my brother died and my dad is terminally ill, that this had some impact on her and she had emotional support.

**** would be well-suited to a Grammar school environment. She works diligently across the
curriculum and applies herself well in all contexts. Family are spportive of her progress and a
pleasure to have at school. (SIC)

So I guess I don't need to include the school reports as the scores on her progress are as above. They didn't mention that her bubble closed on the day of the practice.

I don't know what to include. I've looked at Mary's letter and know not to babble on too much, or labour the point about her upsets.

The writing bit is a bit worrying, although they do mention that they expect her to be GDS by the end of the year.

Do I need to print off my dad's diagnosis. I would be inclined not to, as the academic ability is more important, but as the head mentioned it, would they expect medical reports?

Her school is NOT high performing. It's not unusual for no one to qualify in the 60 pupil year, and commonly those who have qualified have done so at review/appeal (no bearing on the teachers who are brilliant, but it is in an area of depravation).

Her brother qualified and went to AGS, so I think this result has upset her a bit, but I've not told her about the review and made her feel good about possible alternatives.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

tamisara wrote:So 2.2 on that scale, it looks quite good to me, but reading other threads others seem to get 1.1
Anything from 1:1 to 2:2 could be fine - but if a headteacher has given a lot of 2:1s and 2:2s to children most of whom don't qualify, then the recommendation may not count for much.
You are unlikely to know, because parents aren't routinely told what the school's overall recommendations have been like, unless they go to appeal.
The writing bit is a bit worrying, although they do mention that they expect her to be GDS by the end of the year.
Most of the progress chart is fine, but you are right to be concerned about the writing. I'm not sure the panel will believe the jump to GDS unless the head has said what the evidence is for this sudden transformation. See E32:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... aneous#e32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    • If there is a sudden jump from EXS (expected level) in Y5 to a prediction of 111-120 or greater depth at KS2, this must be justified by the school (e.g. “greater maturity,” “recent rapid progress”.) There is usually a section at the end of the review form where headteachers can add comments.
as the head mentioned it, would they expect medical reports?
Probably not. (I've already said that what matters is the impact on the child, and the school has remarked on this.)
If you have the initial diagnosis and the most recent report, you could include one or both, but I really wouldn't add in more than that.
I've not told her about the review and made her feel good about possible alternatives.
Very wise. It's what everyone should do. :)
Etienne
tamisara

Post by tamisara »

Thank you so much Etienne :D
tamisara

Post by tamisara »

I've just had another thought. The scores at the end of Y5 are not actually the results of tests.

The last tests she took in Y5 (before lockdown, obviously), were in February, and she broke her wrist, in two places, at school. It was her right wrist, she is right-handed.

Of course the head didn't put it on the form, it was *not* an extenuating factor before the 11+. It did mean that she scored lower in the tests they did then, as she had to use her left-hand.

Over lockdown I did a lot of secondary school work with her (English - Maths, even at Y6, is not particularly easy for me, but her dad/older brother helped, when they were here). She did do the work set by the teacher every day, but found it boring (a complaint she has long held).

She did do tests at the beginning of the year (which is where they got the forecast from).

Would it be worth mentioning that her writing was improving, but at her last test she had a broken wrist (the one she writes with)? I do of course have medical proof of that.

I guess that would mean more at appeal. I'm wary of waiting to appeal though. There is no guarantee that a place would be there, it is more stressful for me (not only on the MH side, but with the fact that I may be preoccupied with my dad, who is swiftly deteriorating - I was a mess after my little brother died, I may well be the same with my dad, therefore trying to compose myself would be difficult and my focus wouldn't be on the appeal).

I don't want to write too much in the way of mitigating factors, but her Y5 school report does mention how good her writing was (although there are no scores on there, as no one sat an end of yr test due to lockdown), so is it worth including? Plus a line or two about my dad (my friend reminded me that she is extremely close to them, so it's not like a grandparent who lives 100 miles away - we see them multiple times a week). Then maybe mention how she had a broken wrist? I want to mention the lockdown, but of course it's not teacher based. I do have some screenshots from Century, which I submitted to her teacher, showing she was doing KS3 work during lockdown.

If you could say whether to include any of this I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks.
tamisara

Post by tamisara »

Actually just looking at her Y5 report, there are NO scores anywhere on it (so not sure where they got the scores on the head's form from). It was different from other reports as the year closed in March, long before the end of year tests.

Under English, her teacher wrote that she was able to extract and interpret information, from increasingly challenging texts, and in her writing she had flourished, exploring her own style, and was able to express her thoughts clearly and confidently on paper.

Her writing target said to use more ambitious punctuation, to add depth to extended writing (we did this during lockdown, and I have proof with high scores on KS3 screenshots from Century, but not sure whether they'll just muddy the waters).

I'm inclined to include Y5's report, as it shows there are no scores, as there was no year-end assessments. However it does mention that she can be shy (which she is overcoming), so not sure if it's detrimental.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The Admissions Code is actually fairly laid back on what can be used as a criterion in a school's admissions policy, but I'm pretty certain that Is not shy wouldn't pass muster with the OSA, even in the unlikely event that even the wackiest board of governors would try putting it in.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think the writing is going to be an issue - the prediction isn't believable and they don't look at school work in a review.

Going for an appeal after a failed review is even more tricky.

What will yu do if the review is unsuccessful?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now