zyxwv - Selection Review (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
zyxwv

zyxwv - Selection Review (Bucks)

Post by zyxwv »

Good morning, I am hoping for a little advice with regards to a selection review for my daughter. She was expected to pass but scored 118.75. The HT has given us a lovely report (see below for summary) and I feel we have a strong case academically, however there are no extenuating circumstances (other than the fact she felt under enormous pressure as her sibling passed 2 years ago) She fell apart at the end of the second paper (cried afterwards and her teacher contacted me to let me know) and came home saying that she knew she hadn't done well on her maths.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

HT Review:

STTS: 118
Age standardised scores
Verbal: 124 Mathematical: 108 Non Verbal: 119
Weighted standardised scores
Verbal: 62 Mathematical: 27 Non Verbal: 29.75

HT recommendation :

1 = Exceptionally highly able so very highly recommended
1 = Enjoys challenge and is a highly motivated independent
learner

Progress Chart:

KS1: Reading - GDS Writing - EXP Maths - GDS
End of Y3: Reading - GDS Writing - EXP Maths - GDS
End of Y4: Reading - GDS Writing - GDS Maths - GDS
End of Y5: Reading - GDS Writing - GDS Maths - GDS
Predicted performance in July: Reading - 111-120 Writing - GDS Maths - 111-120

Prior Attainment:

Reading (Rising Stars standardised scores)
Year 3 - autumn -111, spring- 112, summer- 115
Year 4 - autumn-111, spring-114, summer -115
Year 5 - autumn- 117
Year 6 -baseline tests taken September 2020 (2018 Year 6 SATS paper) -112

Mathematics
Year 3 - autumn-111, spring-107, summer- 112
Year 4 - autumn-110, spring-111, summer -117
Year 5 - autumn -113
Year 6 -baseline tests taken September 2020 (2018 Year 6 SATS paper) -100

No extenuating circumstances

HT has also written a lovely report saying how well she would suit a grammar school and that she has no reservations.

Thank you!
tamisara

Re: zyxwv - Selection Review (Bucks)

Post by tamisara »

Sorry I'm no help (I've registered for advice), but your daughter's score is exactly the same as mine, so I'm in the same boat (though awaiting for headteacher's report). Best of luck.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!
zyxwv wrote:there are no extenuating circumstances (other than the fact she felt under enormous pressure as her sibling passed 2 years ago) She fell apart at the end of the second paper (cried afterwards and her teacher contacted me to let me know)
Provided the school puts this in writing for you, I think it would be sufficient, if the panel is minded to accept that the academic case is strong enough.
(If they don't think the academic evidence is strong enough, they'll probably accept that there were extenuating circumstances, but say that these weren't sufficient to explain fully the shortfall in marks!)
STTS: 118
A respectable score.
Age standardised scores
Verbal: 124 Mathematical: 108 Non Verbal: 119
They will need persuading that the maths was a blip. The head needs to be very supportive here.

HT recommendation :
1 = Exceptionally highly able so very highly recommended
1 = Enjoys challenge and is a highly motivated independent
learner
It all depends how many of the '1' recommendations qualified. If almost all of the did, then the head's judgement should carry a lot of weight.

Progress Chart:
KS1: Reading - GDS Writing - EXP Maths - GDS
End of Y3: Reading - GDS Writing - EXP Maths - GDS
End of Y4: Reading - GDS Writing - GDS Maths - GDS
End of Y5: Reading - GDS Writing - GDS Maths - GDS
Predicted performance in July: Reading - 111-120 Writing - GDS Maths - 111-120
This looks all right.
Prior Attainment:
Reading (Rising Stars standardised scores)
Year 3 - autumn -111, spring- 112, summer- 115
Year 4 - autumn-111, spring-114, summer -115
Year 5 - autumn- 117
Year 6 -baseline tests taken September 2020 (2018 Year 6 SATS paper) -112

Mathematics
Year 3 - autumn-111, spring-107, summer- 112
Year 4 - autumn-110, spring-111, summer -117
Year 5 - autumn -113
Year 6 -baseline tests taken September 2020 (2018 Year 6 SATS paper) -100
If the Rising Stars results are nationally standardised scores, they are different from the scaled scores used in the progress chart, and I would have been looking for something higher.

I assume that the baseline results are scaled scores. Reading 112 looks all right, but they will probably pounce on maths 100 (especially in light of the transfer test result for maths).
HT has also written a lovely report saying how well she would suit a grammar school
Suit in what way? If she means academically, that would be fine.

I would have an open mind about the academic case.
It depends how reliable the headteacher's recommendations as a whole have been.
It depends what evidence there is to justify a prediction of 111-120 for maths.
Etienne
zyxwv

Post by zyxwv »

Thank you for your time. I really appreciate this.
Provided the school puts this in writing for you, I think it would be sufficient, if the panel is minded to accept that the academic case is strong enough.
(If they don't think the academic evidence is strong enough, they'll probably accept that there were extenuating circumstances, but say that these weren't sufficient to explain fully the shortfall in marks!)
We already have the HT review form and she hasn't put this on there - she probably wasn't aware of it to be honest. I have a message on the parent/teacher app we use from DD's class teacher to say that she was upset? Or shall I just put about her brother and leave it at that?
They will need persuading that the maths was a blip. The head needs to be very supportive here.
The head hasn't mentioned this on her form at all - just that she is an all-round very able student. We cannot explain the low maths mark - I even question whether she marked the answer paper incorrectly. She did say that she just felt very over-whelmed towards the end of the test and can't explain why.
It all depends how many of the '1' recommendations qualified. If almost all of the did, then the head's judgement should carry a lot of weight.
I don't know this I'm afraid.
I assume that the baseline results are scaled scores. Reading 112 looks all right, but they will probably pounce on maths 100 (especially in light of the transfer test result for maths).
Sadly that maths test was taken the week they got back after lockdown and she just wasn't at her best that day, the teacher was surprised and mentioned it to me when I saw them but I have nothing in writing.
Suit in what way? If she means academically, that would be fine.
Yes she has said about her academic ability as well as her general attitude to learning
I would have an open mind about the academic case.
It depends how reliable the headteacher's recommendations as a whole have been.
It depends what evidence there is to justify a prediction of 111-120 for maths.
Thank you - we are very open-minded and accept that we only have about a 50% chance. But we feel if we don't try we will never know.
zyxwv

Post by zyxwv »

Just wanted to come back to say that our review was successful! Thought this might help others in the future to know the outcome. Thanks for your help. So pleased that we are now finished with this whole process :D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Congratulations!

That's wonderful to hear. :D
Etienne
mad?

Post by mad? »

Great news, congratulations!
mad?