Selection Review (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JindyJ

Re: Selection Review (Bucks)

Post by JindyJ »

Hi Etienne

I have read all details and will be waiting until the appeal, unless you think there is anything else I can do in the interim?

Thanks
Kaljinder
JindyJ

Post by JindyJ »

I have removed details l as have decided against SR
Last edited by JindyJ on Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi JindyJ

Really nice to see the positive comments, but, as I said before, I'm afraid he's unlikely to have a successful review (or appeal) without 111-120 for Reading, and GDS for Writing.
Etienne
JindyJ

Post by JindyJ »

Hi Eitenne

The school has now updated the report and given him 111 to 120 for both Maths and Reading, but writing is still EXS and will be difficult for him to get GDS by March.

I am going on the basis that if he can achieve 115 with doing exam with no extra provisions due to his his SEN plan, he would have qualified if he had the provisions in place for the exam.

Is this not a strong case?
kronenborg

Post by kronenborg »

I’m going to chime in here, and I doubt you’re going to like what I have to say.

With a score of 115, a 3:3 rating from his headteacher, and the attainment levels you describe (which seem to be magically changing) my strong advice would to be skip the stress of a selection review, and an appeal, and consider an alternative school outside of the grammar system for your child.

Trying to be objective about the extenuating circumstances you mention, I don’t think a review or appeal panel will find them convincing.

As for not having a plan in place for the exams if his SEN status required it, why was this not considered before the exams, rather than after getting the results?

Sometimes the odds are stacked against you, but it is worth persevering. I don’t think this is one of these cases.

Note: I am not an expert, and my views are based on my own experiences having had a child go through selection review 2 years ago.
JindyJ

Post by JindyJ »

Thank you for your advice. The marks changed only because he sat another SATs paper this week.
Last edited by JindyJ on Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JindyJ

Post by JindyJ »

Re SEN I was not aware support plan would allow him to have extra provisions. Anyways thank you so much for your help and support.
JindyJ

Post by JindyJ »

Also the teacher has only just started trying the support for him to sit in another room with one adult to sit exams.
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

we were in this position a few years ago, panel wanted hard evidence of ability not what might have been with extra time - sorry
JindyJ

Post by JindyJ »

Thank for your comments Blueberry. That is much appreciated.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now