Bucks Selection Review after getting 119 in the Transfer Tes

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

Re: Bucks Selection Review after getting 119 in the Transfer

Post by Etienne »

Jupiter1 wrote: - It's currently 600 words and I am struggling to reduce this. Is this reasonable?
If it's as concise as possible, with the key arguments set out with absolute clarity, it could be all right. Difficult to say without knowing the 'value' of the 600 words.
Is it a well-balanced case? (If it's 90% about extenuating circumstances, and 10% about academic ability, it probably isn't.)
am I even able to upload this number of documents?
I honestly don't know.
- I am inclined to include a "Conclusion" to summarise my case. Is this advisable?
Very unusual, I would have thought, for either an appeal (the written part) or a review.
I would omit as it's not needed.
Finally, where on this forum can I find examples of this submission from other people please?
"Mary's review" in E32?
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... aneous#e32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One member has posted her draft version:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... ng#p751906" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps.
Etienne
Jupiter1

Post by Jupiter1 »

Mary’s review contains the following, which I would recognise as concluding remarks:

We hope you would be prepared to take the view that these extenuating circumstances are sufficient to explain the shortfall in marks.

We, and the school, and indeed Mary herself feel that she is more than suitable to be considered for a Grammar school placement and that she would have no trouble in achieving and maintaining the standard required. 7

Thank you for taking the time to consider our case.

Is this advisable?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Jupiter1 wrote:Mary’s review contains the following, which I would recognise as concluding remarks:

We hope you would be prepared to take the view that these extenuating circumstances are sufficient to explain the shortfall in marks.

We, and the school, and indeed Mary herself feel that she is more than suitable to be considered for a Grammar school placement and that she would have no trouble in achieving and maintaining the standard required. 7

Thank you for taking the time to consider our case.

Is this advisable?
I invented Mary's review to illustrate - to some extent - what not to do! :?
See footnote 7.

I wouldn't object, though, to the 10 words at the end which are just a courtesy.

A review is not like an appeal where there are not only written submissions, but questions and answers from both parties, so each side is normally given the opportunity to sum up at the end of a discussion/debate.
(I have to say that, although I see the point of that sort of verbal conclusion at an appeal, it can be very tedious listening to an appellant going through their arguments all over again!)

My thoughts on summing up at the end of a (possibly lengthy) appeal are here:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b49" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My thoughts on summing up at the end of a review submission are:
I wouldn't recommend it.

However, all the 'tweaking' in the world will make no difference if the panel aren't satisfied with the academic evidence.
Etienne
Jupiter1

Post by Jupiter1 »

Thanks again Etienne.
On Academic Achievements, we currently have the following covered:
- 119.5 score in test
- 1, 1 from HT
- GDS across the board
- End of term predictions are also GDS
- SAT's predictions above age related expectations in each area
- Commendation as part of a report provided by the child's teacher

All of the above have accompanying appendices.
Is there anything that is obviously missing from this list? I could start to talk about individual pieces or work, extra-curricular activities, etc. but I think the advice is to refrain from this.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It seems all right, but the checklist (with important provisos) is in E32 (b):
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... aneous#e32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Jupiter1

Post by Jupiter1 »

Thanks Etienne.
Our situation measures very favourably against what is stated in E32.

One further question please, given that my child has these favourable academic achievements and he scored 119.5 in the STT, how much should I be leaning on the extenuating circumstances? Or is the thrust of our argument that this was a blip on the day? Haven't got this straight in my head.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Jupiter1 wrote:One further question please, given that my child has these favourable academic achievements and he scored 119.5 in the STT, how much should I be leaning on the extenuating circumstances? Or is the thrust of our argument that this was a blip on the day? Haven't got this straight in my head.
I'm working in the dark here because I don't know exactly what the medical argument is (and it may not be appropriate to put it on a public forum).
My understanding is that there were symptoms that caused him to underperform on the day of the test. Provided that the school has mentioned this, and provided there is no likelihood of a counter argument that he should not have been allowed to sit the test if he was unwell, then there is a case.
With a score of 119 (+0.5) you don't need much in the way of extenuating circumstances.

I would reserve the word "blip" for a situation where there is academic evidence to show that the test result was not a fair reflection of the child's ability, but there are no apparent extenuating circumstances.
Etienne
Jupiter1

Post by Jupiter1 »

Sorry for the incessant questions but what should we enter into the field stating: "Tell us what reasons you have for asking for a Selection Review"?
Clearly, I have my Word doc that sets out the entire case but assume that this will be uploaded.

I'd appreciate any pointers for this. Thanks again.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Jupiter1 wrote:Sorry for the incessant questions but what should we enter into the field stating: "Tell us what reasons you have for asking for a Selection Review"?
It's not a problem. :)

Something along the lines:
There is strong evidence from the school to show that the transfer test score was not a fair reflection of son's academic suitability for grammar school. There are also some extenuating circumstances which the school was aware of.
Etienne
Jupiter1

Post by Jupiter1 »

Next challenge!
The online system only allows a maximum of 3 uploads. There is nothing on the site to explain what we should do if we have additional docs...

Has anyone else managed to surmount this?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now