DS scored 120(.25).suggestion for Bucks selection review?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
A.mum

DS scored 120(.25).suggestion for Bucks selection review?

Post by A.mum »

First of all, a very BIG thank you to the eleven plus team for providing such a great platform for parents like me who needs support and guidance during this 11plus stressful journey. I have read a couple of bucks selection review and appeals threads and hoping that the forum team can help me via some suggestions to present my case. Completed 1st phase of the selection review process and now collecting academic evidence to submit them.
Got HT letter and given 1:2 for DS.

My DS scored 120(.25) which are as follows:

VR-129, Math-124 and NVR-99 (which is the biggest shock).

HT report:
KS1 (Y-2)
Reading- EXS Writing: EXS Maths: EXS

Y-3
Reading: GDS Writing: EXS Maths: GDS

Y-4

Y-5

Y-6
PREDICTED
Reading: 111-120 Writing: GDS Maths: 111-120

Grammar school suitability: Exceptionally highly able so very highly recommended (1)

Attitude to Learning: Consistently hard working and reliable (2)

just a bit background update- Ds started the current school in Jan/2017 as the school had no place at the begging of year 2 but adjusted very well. Gets upset very easily which does cause DS to distract very often. There is no extenuating circumstance apart from DS got upset when heard how much time was left during the 2nd test and could not focus properly till the test ended. the teacher also mentioned in the yearly report that DS gets upset due to the fear of doing something wrong. Ds didn't mention this to the teacher. only found out when the result came out and told me. This is my only worry as in every parent meeting I discuss this with the teacher. my question is is it worth mentioning it ?? Not sure if Academically we have a strong case to prove as the whole process is so stressful. any suggestion and thoughts are welcome. thank you
Etienne

Re: DS scored 120(.25).suggestion for Bucks selection review

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to the forum! :)

With 120 (+0.25) you need very little in the way of extenuating circumstances.

I think it would be all right to write:
    • There is no extenuating circumstance apart from X got upset when he heard how much time was left during the 2nd test, and could not focus properly till the test ended. X didn't mention this to the teacher. I only found out when the result came out and he told me. His teacher mentioned in the yearly report (attached) that X gets upset due to the fear of doing something wrong.
(I'm assuming that there's nothing in the report that would weaken your case.)

The problem I foresee with the academic evidence is the sudden jump in Writing from EXS to a prediction of GDS.
Unless the headteacher has written something to justify this, I think it very unlikely the panel will believe it.
See E32 (b):
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... aneous#e32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
A.mum

Post by A.mum »

Thank you Etienne for your reply. HT wrote in the report that DS has shown progress in the recent SATs practice scoring 120 in SPAG and 109 each in reading and maths ,keeping DS on the GDS track. also, DS been nominated each year (4 years in a row)for showing outstanding attitude towards learning ( got certificates and statements), HT also mentioned this in the report that “DS made excellent progress during Key Stage 2 and is keen to learn and grow”.
Not sure what else I need to show the progress from EXS to GDS?? HT said this report is based on DS academic performance.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

A.mum wrote:Thank you Etienne for your reply. HT wrote in the report that DS has shown progress in the recent SATs practice scoring 120 in SPAG and 109 each in reading and maths ,keeping DS on the GDS track.
Excellent - but no mention of Writing.
Not sure what else I need to show the progress from EXS to GDS?? HT said this report is based on DS academic performance.
There is usually a line in the record of the review meeting where the panel state whether or not they accept the headteacher's KS2 predictions for Reading, Maths and Writing. They do not always agree with the headteacher, and at the moment I think there's a serious risk they will say 'No' to the Writing prediction, bearing in mind that the previous 4 years have been EXS.

Would it be possible to email the school to say how pleased you are about their prediction of GDS for writing, but could they help you understand what the jump from EXS in Y5 is based on? Is there any information that you could use for your review? Is it greater maturity? Has there been rapid progress this term?
(If they reply by email you could include this with your other evidence if it helps your case.)
Etienne
A.mum

Post by A.mum »

Thank you. I will contact HT tomorrow
A.mum

Post by A.mum »

Morning,
Just a quick and weird question. is it ok to write ''Is it greater maturity? OR Has there been rapid progress this term?'' in the email to HT when asking about the reason for their prediction of GDS for writing?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi

Feel free to word it as you wish.

I didn't necessarily see these as alternatives.

Rather hoping that he might point to some specific work that has been done, or, failing that, come up with some such phrase as "Has made rapid progress this term, probably the result of greater maturity."
Etienne
A.mum

Post by A.mum »

Just a quick update that I have received my child selection review result today and I am very pleased to inform that It came successful. I want to say a huge thank you to the team and especially your help Etienne. Now I can relax a bit :)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

That's great news! :D
mad?

Post by mad? »

Congratulations A.mum!
mad?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now