11+ selection review and/or Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: 11+ selection review and/or Appeal

Post by Etienne »

It seems to me you do have a case to put to the review panel that the HTR is unfair (not a course of action I would normally suggest!). They may or may not accept it, but there is evidence of high ability and evidence of a good attitude to learning.

119 is a respectable score.

You also now have the very low processing speed as an extenuating circumstance.

Unfortunately there is still the problem of the sudden jump in maths to 111-120 without any supporting evidence. I'm quite sure the panel will notice this.

I would guess the chance of a successful review is at best 50/50 (which I know doesn't help!).
At a loss as to our next move.....
No easy answer, I'm afraid. I wish I had one.

You could go straight to appeal, but, as I said before, there would almost certainly need to be a very good reason to outweigh the prejudice to the school of going over the admission number.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Kingfisher20

Post by Kingfisher20 »

Dear Etienne
I contacted the head teacher today and shared the WISC report and asked for an additional letter supporting our case based on the new information.
She has written back with what I think is a supportive letter.
I’d be really grateful if you could cast your eye over it and let me have your opinion.
I’ll send it to the postbox.
I think we are probably in a good a position as we can be given the starting point, but again if you think there is anything else we are missing your advice would be invaluable.
VBW
KF
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Kingfisher20 wrote:She has written back with what I think is a supportive letter.
I’d be really grateful if you could cast your eye over it and let me have your opinion.
Yes, it looks very helpful. Well done for 'extracting' it.

You could draw the panel's attention to the fact that, although the school cannot undo their original recommendation, the headteacher's letter of 16th December fully accepts that there is significant new information for the panel to consider.

That leaves the maths issue.
You could say that you were "pleased to see that maths has progressed to a prediction of 111-120, but realise this seems out of line with previous progress. However, (a) any assessment of what was accomplished in Y5 must have been difficult owing to the lockdown, and (b) in view of the strictness of the original headteacher recommendation, we hope the panel will accept that the school was unlikely to seek to overestimate son's KS2 performance in maths."

They may or may not accept this argument, but I would be inclined to address the issue head on, because they will most certainly notice it!
Etienne
Kingfisher20

Post by Kingfisher20 »

Thank you once again Etienne
Your advice and support Really as helped.
I didn’t quite appreciate beforehand how stressful this was going to be!
Having support as made all the difference. Thank you!
VBW
KF
Kingfisher20

Post by Kingfisher20 »

Hi Etienne
I have addressed the negatives head on. As you mention the panel will spot them anyhow :D
I’m hoping it comes across as balanced rather than defensive.
Any final comments would be much appreciated
I’ll post to the appeals box if that’s OK
VBW
KF
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Kingfisher20 wrote:I’m hoping it comes across as balanced rather than defensive.
Yes, well done. :)

A few suggestions.

I would omit the penultimate paragraph, because extra-curricular pursuits are of no interest to the panel.

I would also omit the preceding paragraph. Personal qualities, however great, aren't relevant.

If in this way you shorten the statement a bit, leaving out anything that won't assist the case, the panel can focus on what - from their point of view - really matters.

A tiny addition:
in the very last sentence I would insert the word "academically" in front of "suitable".
Children are not suitable for grammar school because of their personal qualities, character, and extra curricular activities.
They are deemed suitable solely on the basis of academic evidence. That is what matters.
Etienne
Kingfisher20

Post by Kingfisher20 »

Amazing! :D
Thank you so much for everything!
VBW
KF
Kingfisher20

Post by Kingfisher20 »

Hi again!! :D
Unfortunately I am having to do the selection Review Malarkey x2!
Now number one is out of the way here goes for number 2!
Much less complicated as the school have written what I think is a strongly supportive Headteachers recommendation
Recommendation of 2/2. The 2 on the academic side seems reasonable. I think the 2 for attitude is a little harsh, but there does seem to be a bit of theme here!
Our daughter (twin) missed the 11+ pass mark by 4 points.
We are putting together the letter for the selection Review
The teachers and us thought she would pass
The results for the various tests are below. Some strengths but also some weaknesses.
There are no extenuating circumstances except extreme nerves on the day.
Im wondering how best to write our letter to give her the best chance?
Thx for any advice
KF

11+ score 117
VR 120
Maths 119
NVR 109
NVR brought overall score down. Very surprising as this is usually a strength.
Maths a strength too, see Progress results
Teachers expected her to pass.
She just had a bad day unfortunately.

Head teachers recommendation 2/2
The school allegedly never gives a 1/1 and rarely a 2/1 so are very ‘strict’ on their recommendation marks.
Supportive letter from HT and on the teachers comment section.

CAT4 September 122
VR 111
QR 120
NVR 132
Spatial 126

KS2 Y3- predicted Y6
READING
EXS
EXC
GDS
111-120

WRITING
EXS
EXC
EXS
EXC

MATHS
GDS
GDS
GDS
111-120

PROGRESS MATHS Y6

PROGRESS ENGLISH

READING 2 YEARS ABOVE ACTUAL AGE SINCE Y4
Kingfisher20

Post by Kingfisher20 »

Ps I’ll post the HT letter to the Appeals box.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi Kingfisher

Sorry for slow response, but I don't have much spare time at the moment.

You've identified the two problem areas:
NVR
& Writing

You have alternative evidence to suggest that the NVR result was a blip,
but I suspect they will home in on the Writing.
While I'm usually in favour of addressing weaknesses head on, there needs to be some substance to the case being put forward, and I'm doubtful they'll accept the argument you're making.
You could perhaps mention that it was difficult to monitor progress in Writing during the lockdown, and ask the panel to take account of the very positive comments on the review form [quote the paragraph on English in full].
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now