Selection Review advice needed

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
11+Selection

Selection Review advice needed

Post by 11+Selection »

Hi, our child received STTS 117, and we are just going through the selection review process. We have started to prepare the parents assessment which factors in the comments provided from the head teacher following our meeting. The head teacher fully supports the review without any hesitation, and has provided a supporting assessment. I would really appreciate your thoughts on the summary so far on academic achievements.

We do not have any extenuating circumstances as of such, I would appreciate any thoughts on whether this would go against our case or whether the academic summary provided below is enough.

1. Result of 117 in the 11+ (below expected results, particularly Maths)

2. Recommended as a 2:2 by head teacher and very strongly supported by the head teacher and school.

3. CATS score show with an average of 126 across all 4 domains.

4. Predicted scaled scores of 111-120 in English and Maths for end of KS2, and “greater depth” for Writing

5. Working at greater depth at the end of Year 5

6. Child is working extremely hard in Year 6 making excellent progress with her writing and in Mathematics Child has already made excellent progress towards achieving GDS at the end of the year

7. Achieved a distinction in Grade 1 Piano and preparing for Grade 2 exam. Child only began piano a couple of years ago and is continuing to make exceptional progress. Should we include this bullet point as part of the review and support with the certificate?
mad?

Re: Selection Review advice needed

Post by mad? »

Welcome to the forum!
I'm sure one of our experts will be along to advise you shortly but in the meantime it will be helpful to confirm, I assume from your comments you are in Bucks?
In the meantime you might find it useful to read this.
Good luck
mad?
11+Selection

Post by 11+Selection »

yes we’re in Bucks.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!
2. Recommended as a 2:2 by head teacher
Anything from 1:1 to 2:2 could be fine - but if a headteacher has given a lot of recommendations to children many of whom don't qualify, then the recommendation may not count for much.
(You are unlikely to know, because parents aren't routinely told what the school's overall recommendations have been like, unless they go to appeal.)
3. CATS score show with an average of 126 across all 4 domains.
Looks fine to me.
4. Predicted scaled scores of 111-120 in English and Maths for end of KS2, and “greater depth” for Writing

5. Working at greater depth at the end of Year 5
Good. How about Y2-Y4?
They seem to give a lot of weight to the progress chart.
7. Achieved a distinction in Grade 1 Piano and preparing for Grade 2 exam. Child only began piano a couple of years ago and is continuing to make exceptional progress. Should we include this bullet point as part of the review and support with the certificate?
To be absolutely honest, no one will be very interested.
We do not have any extenuating circumstances as of such, I would appreciate any thoughts on whether this would go against our case
I'm afraid there's a risk it might - they say they normally expect exceptional circumstances to explain an underperformance, and they like to see those circumstances confirmed by the headteacher.
Etienne
11+Selection

Post by 11+Selection »

Thank you for the feedback - very helpful. I understand the risk of not having any extenuating circumstances, and that it reduces our chance of success. Every child is in the same boat, unfortunately for ours it was a case of it not going so well on the day, however this isn't a true reflection of the child's ability. We are hoping the academic facts (inclusive of Y2-Y4) backed with the head teachers report will increase our chance of success.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

it was a case of it not going so well on the day .....We are hoping the academic facts ..... will increase our chance of success.
We do know of cases (score close to 121, very strong academic evidence) which appear to have succeeded at review without any extenuating circumstances, so it's a possibility.

Good luck!
Etienne