Birmingham Grammar Schools Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hermanmunster

Re: Birmingham Grammar Schools Appeal

Post by hermanmunster »

Good to start getting all the info in place :D , unfortunately we are not able to offer to privately review appeal applications but are happy to answer any questions on the forum.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
consciousatmosphere

Post by consciousatmosphere »

edit: i realised that it's against the rules to post about your situation on someone elses appeal thread - apologies!
mad?

Post by mad? »

consciousatmosphere wrote:edit: i realised that it's against the rules to post about your situation on someone elses appeal thread - apologies!
No worries, you can start your own thread?
mad?
Dan4G

Post by Dan4G »

Very pleased to share that DS has been offered a place at Aston Grammar which we have accepted.

I assume this would help in our appeal for CHB for which I have now obtained the appeal form and guidance from the Foundation office.
It states, "Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, appeal hearings will not take place in person – all appeals will be considered by the Panel based on your written submission (your completed appeal form) and the written case submitted by the Headteacher of the school you are appealing for."

With the above, I think we have to be extra sure of what we write and evidences we send.
I have drafted the appeal letter considering the advice I have found on this forum.
I have also requested letter from the head teacher, year 6 teacher and year 5 teacher who all are very supportive and happy to provide supporting letters showing that he is one of the top students in the class, his greater depth predictive SATs, etc.

Any further advise please...
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dan4G wrote:Very pleased to share that DS has been offered a place at Aston Grammar which we have accepted.
Congratulations! :D
I assume this would help in our appeal for CHB
Or they might take the view that you've already got a GS place, so your situation is not as desperate as that of some other appellants. Difficult to say what panels might be thinking privately. I would consider addressing the issue head on:
"We know how fortunate we are to have a grammar school place already, but are appealing for CHB because" ..... [your compelling reasons].

Generally speaking, though, it doesn't make very much difference what you write. What matters is the evidence.
I have also requested letter from the head teacher, year 6 teacher and year 5 teacher who all are very supportive and happy to provide supporting letters showing that he is one of the top students in the class, his greater depth predictive SATs, etc.
That sounds good - especially if they steer clear of turning what they write into a character reference.
Could they make the point that he was expected to score more highly?
Could they support your reasons for wanting a place? If it's a sibling argument, why is the sibling connection so important?

Which of the following sibling arguments do you think might be the most persuasive, and which the weakest?
"It would be nice for them to be able to travel to school together."
• "It would be very convenient for us, the parents."
• "It has always been X's ambition to equal his sibling's achievement in being a pupil at the school. He was devastated not to be offered a place and is pinning all his hopes on this appeal."
• "X is a very vulnerable child (evidence attached), and would benefit from the support of his older sibling."
Etienne
KenR

Post by KenR »

Dan4G wrote:Very pleased to share that DS has been offered a place at Aston Grammar which we have accepted.

I assume this would help in our appeal for CHB for which I have now obtained the appeal form and guidance from the Foundation office.
It states, "Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, appeal hearings will not take place in person – all appeals will be considered by the Panel based on your written submission (your completed appeal form) and the written case submitted by the Headteacher of the school you are appealing for."

With the above, I think we have to be extra sure of what we write and evidences we send.
I have drafted the appeal letter considering the advice I have found on this forum.

Any further advise please...
Congratulation on the KEA place - an excellent school.

However I don't think the fact that you now have a place at KEA will have that much bearing on a CHB Appeal. Historically, the KE Foundation have always taken a very polarised view on Appeals based almost entirely of the exam score. Very few Appeals for any KE grammar are successful. They only seem to be successful where there has been some very significant factors at stake (serious illness or family death etc), although I recall that a couple of Appeals were successful a few years ago to enable a siblings to attend the same grammar (where one passed for a different KE grammar but the mark was close to pass mark for the 1st choice). So logistics/transport might be the best argument.

Rather than Appeal this year, you might want to consider a transfer at the end of Year 7. I'm aware of 1 parent whose daughter passed for KE Handsworth Girls Grammar but really wanted KEFW. She performed really well in her Year 7 exams and the KEHG Head allowed her to sit the Year 8 entry exams for KEFW (normally reserved for out of of region transfers) - she performed very well in the exams and transferred to KEFW at the start of Year 8. Something to think about.

hope this helps
Dan4G

Post by Dan4G »

Thank you Eitenne and KenR, very helpful views.

I had this feeling that the panel might see the grammar school place offer in a different way as you have alluded to however that is a bit too far (about 8 miles) and would be a logistical nightmare. So, the compelling arguments would be…
Distance, logistical issues, missing his sports activities in the local club, friends going to CHB, sibling (who is his role model) going to CHG.

For teacher’s support letters, I can definitely ask about these…
Expected higher score (I think year 5 teacher would be more comfortable making this point)
Sibling argument – May be as above and as you have suggested or what else?
(coincidentally, the teacher has taught the sibling too a few years ago and I wonder it is worth if he can make a positive academic comparison?)

We are quite hopeful that the appeal will be successful as we all (parents, friends and school teachers) know that he is a high achieving pupil. However, if unsuccessful, we will try the in-year transfer through the entry exam.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I wonder it is worth if he can make a positive academic comparison
A brief comparison perhaps, if he's willing. (Don't try this argument yourself - it doesn't work when it's an assertion by the parent!)

It could well be helpful if he mentions that he taught the sibling, and supports your point that the journey would be a nightmare.
.... would be a logistical nightmare
The panel will need to understand from your written submission alone why the journey would be a logistical nightmare. As you know, they will have no opportunity to question you face to face.

friends going to CHB
Not a compelling argument unless the child is vulnerable and needs support. Panels may take the view that it is reassuring for the first few days, but children often make new friends after moving to secondary school.
Worth a very brief mention, though.
missing his sports activities in the local club
I don't know how critical this is. If it's just a case of "It would be nice if he could continue carry on with his recreational sports activities at the local club," don't give it more than a sentence.
Etienne
Dan4G

Post by Dan4G »

Thank you again and all noted and the appeal document is being updated accordingly.

Below is what they have mentioned in the form:

Reason(s) for appeal (please include evidence to demonstrate your child’s academic standards as overleaf, any relevant information to explain why your child may have underperformed in the entrance test as well as any reasons for wanting this school specifically)

So there are 3 key elements to focus and responses as below.

evidence to demonstrate your child’s academic standards - Letters from teachers

any relevant information to explain why your child may have underperformed - Overwhelmed? What else?

any reasons for wanting this school specifically - Location, Sibling argument. What else (better performing school?)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Dan4G wrote:
So there are 3 key elements to focus and responses as below.

1. evidence to demonstrate your child’s academic standards - Letters from teachers

2. any relevant information to explain why your child may have underperformed - Overwhelmed? What else?

3. any reasons for wanting this school specifically - Location, Sibling argument. What else (better performing school?)

2) did anything happen around the time of the exam? has anything like this happened before? bear in mind many feel overwhelmed / anxious etc https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3) best not to mention "better performing school" - could be that one of the panel's children went there etc etc - there are some reasons discussed in the FAQ here https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... bed-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which may help