Birmingham Grammar Schools Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dan4G

Birmingham Grammar Schools Appeal

Post by Dan4G »

Hello everyone

We are planning and preparing a potential appeal for DS in Birmingham King Edward VI Grammar schools as the national offer day is just a few weeks away and would really appreciate your kind suggestions and advice.

DS has scored slightly lower than the priority score (non PP) and we are in CH catchment area. Sibling is in CHG. DS has been on top of his preparation and one of the top students (if not the top) in his year group for the last 3 years and had scored high in the mock 11+ exams. We all, including teachers, were very confident that he would achieve a high score but for some reasons he could not perform that well on the day unfortunately.

His year 5, year 6 teachers and head teacher are happy to provide strong supporting letters when needed.

We have listed CHB as top priority and other KE grammar schools as well.

Looking at the forum for hours, I could not find, for some reason, much info re Birmingham grammar school appeals experiences and need to understand the below please.

1. On Birmingham Council website, it says the council does not manage grammar schools appeals and that those schools themselves manage the appeals process (please see links below). In this case, what would be the process, from where can we get the info on how and where to appeal and what are our chances.

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/2011 ... _council/3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/2011 ... _council/4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. What happens if he gets an offer from another KE grammar school and we accept that? What are our options to move him to CHB as his sister is in CHG and we live quite close to the schools?
hermanmunster

Re: Birmingham Grammar Schools Appeal

Post by hermanmunster »

There are many appeals to Birmingham Grammars, maybe they tend to be listed under KE - I'll have a look. First thing that I would says is that the success rate for appeals in the area is very, very low. There is always some movement on the waiting list and last year I think this was mainly in the OOC pupils

Re your questions:

1. the info re appeals and how to start will come out when you are rejected by a school. Remember the key to any appeal is academic evidence

2. accept the offer you are given otherwise there will be nowhere for him to go to school, accepting the offer will not affect the appeal process - and at the same time, big the school up with your son, he has to feel enthusiastic and positive about it even if you want him to go somewhere else.

ETA - bit about B'ham appeals here https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 13#p602326" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

1. The appeal process is basically the same everywhere.
See the Appeals Code:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... y_2012.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and the emergency regulations during covid-19:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 35&t=60572" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Admission authorities should clearly set out for all parties to an appeal how the appeals process will be carried out, including how appeals will be conducted and the expected timescales for each part of the process.
Many will be working now on their plans for the summer term.

There is a legal requirement for each admission authority to publish its appeals timetable for the coming year by the end of February.
Keep an eye on the school/consortium website for further information.

2. Accept what you are offered at the beginning of March - it doesn't prevent you appealing for a higher preference.

3. We offer a lot of advice on appeals in the Q&As:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm afraid the success rate for Birmingham grammar school appeals is not encouraging.

[cross-post with Herman]
Etienne
Dan4G

Post by Dan4G »

Thank you hermanmunster and Etienne

I have gone through the posts in the links you have sent which are really helpful but it appears there are not many appeals posts for Birmingham flying around but will look forward if you can find a few more please.

Thank you also for the advice, we will accept a place anywhere first and I have gone through the Q&A and related information available at the "Appeals" section on this forum.

I have found the success rate (% Appeals upheld 2018 to 2019 academic year: 4%) in the link below which seems equivalent to other councils but the details may differ.
https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/2011 ... ol_place/4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I understand that the offer letter will have the information and guidelines on how to make an appeal and will take it from there. However, will start preparing for that now including drafting the appeal letter and collating the evidences and supporting letters.

It appears, by looking at last year's cut off scores and other parents' posts, we may have a chance at Aston/Handsworth. I wonder what would be the course of action in that case.
I guess, there would be no need to make an appeal? As I understand that the appeal would be needed if DS is not offered a grammar school place.

Or would it be the case that we would need to make an appeal to get a place at CHB if he is offered a place at Aston/Handsworth?
In that case, on what basis? Academic (head teacher support, etc)? or other e.g. sibling, catchment? or a mix of both?

Also, what happens if you win an appeal? Would the school take the child from September or when a place gets available in the future?

Many thanks
mad?

Post by mad? »

I can't answer all your questions Dan4G (although I'm sure someone can!) but in answer to the following:
Dan4G wrote:It appears, by looking at last year's cut off scores and other parents' posts, we may have a chance at Aston/Handsworth. I wonder what would be the course of action in that case
Yes, you appeal for the school that you want.
Dan4G wrote:I guess, there would be no need to make an appeal? As I understand that the appeal would be needed if DS is not offered a grammar school place.
No, you would need to appeal for the school of your choice. You are not appealing for a grammar school, but for a specific school. People sometimes appeal for a non-grammar when that is their first choice, despite having been offered a grammar. This being because they feel it is a better school for their DC. Best forget about the whole grammar/non grammar in your thinking.
Dan4G wrote:Or would it be the case that we would need to make an appeal to get a place at CHB if he is offered a place at Aston/Handsworth?
Yes, as above, you appeal for a school.
Dan4G wrote:In that case, on what basis? Academic (head teacher support, etc)? or other e.g. sibling, catchment? or a mix of both?
Academic, in your situation it is for academic reasons that your DC will not have got a place and so this is the basis of your appeal, non qualification
Dan4G wrote:Also, what happens if you win an appeal? Would the school take the child from September or when a place gets available in the future?
It depends on timing, you are appealing on the basis of qualification, but if the school is full you will also be appealing on the basis of over subscription. The Q&A Etienne linked above explain this clearly.
mad?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Lots of advice to go through Dan4G

Presume the score is close to priority score of 224 - Can you just clarify which schools you have put on the CAF?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

it appears there are not many appeals posts for Birmingham
I ran a quick search and found a few posts, but most of the issues tended to be very specific to the appellant.

SMpharm raised a number of points (but never provided any feedback afterwards):
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 35&t=54518" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ricky74 has posted quite a lot about Birmingham, and has been through both grammar and comprehensive appeals. You could try sending her a PM. I think she currently has boys at two different Birmingham grammars.
what happens if you win an appeal? Would the school take the child from September or when a place gets available in the future?
If you are appealing in March for entry to Y7 in September, and are successful, then the school must take the child at the start of the autumn term along with everyone else who has a place.
To be successful:
1. The child must be deemed "academically suitable" either by the admission authority or by an independent appeal panel.
2. Unless the school is underscribed for Y7 and has vacancies, an independent appeal panel must (in most cases) decide that your reasons for wanting a place are strong enough to outweigh any prejudice to the school if it has to go above its admission number.
Reasons are discussed here:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Dan4G

Post by Dan4G »

Many thanks mad? and again hermanmunster and Etienne... I am learning a lot of things :-)

I understand now that we have to appeal for a specific school which means we will need to prepare for that potentially on the non qualification basis using the academic reasons.
Am I right in thinking though... If this would be on non qualification basis and if upheld, the school then may say that they are oversubscribed and in that case, there would be another appeal on oversubscription basis?

DS scored 216 which is 8 less than the priority score of 224.
On the CAF, we have listed CHB on top (sibling is in CHG) and we are in catchment. And then other grammar schools along with a comprehensive (which is adjacent to his primary school) at number 6.

I have gone through the posts Etienne and have sent a PM to Ricky74.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If this would be on non qualification basis and if upheld, the school then may say that they are oversubscribed and in that case, there would be another appeal on oversubscription basis?
No, all the issues are dealt with at the same time.

The hearing is divided into two parts: stage one and stage two.

• At stage one the school will put forward their case explaining (a) qualification and how places have been allocated, and (b) why it would cause prejudice to admit any children above the published admission number.
• At stage two you put forward your case setting out (a) why your child is academically suitable, and (b) reasons why you want/need a place at this particular school.

The panel then has to decide (a) whether your child should be deemed qualified, and (b) if so, whether your reasons for wanting a place are strong enough to outweigh any prejudice to the school.
Etienne
Dan4G

Post by Dan4G »

Thank you again for the clarification.

I think I have enough information now for me to start drafting and compiling documents over the coming weeks.

I will email the draft(s) to the Appeal Box and would be grateful if you can please review and provide your advice if all the relevant evidences and points are covered.