Birmingham Grammar Schools Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dan4G

Re: Birmingham Grammar Schools Appeal

Post by Dan4G »

Thank you hermanmunster

I will avoid "better performing school"

I have sent an email to the AppealsBox providing the evidence list and extenuating circumstances and hope will get advice accordingly.
Nella

Post by Nella »

Hi Dan4G

I hope that the appeal is successful. If you look at the admission criteria, in January parents may apply for a place for their Yr 7 child. There is no mention of this being limited to out of area transfers. If there is a vacancy children will be invited for a test and the highest scoring child will be offered a place. This may be an option for you to pursue. http://www.camphillboys.bham.sch.uk/wp- ... policy.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I read your earlier post that your son has a place at Aston which is an 8 mile commute. I just wanted to say, please don’t underestimate the effect a long commute like this will have on your son. I have 2 children at the local comp and they can get home an hour earlier than their sibling and we only live 4 miles (by road) from KEFW but the journey requires a change of bus. Then there is homework to do when they eventually get home.

Do you have a plan B if the appeal is unsuccessful? It’s a long journey to make twice a day for at least the next 5 years!
Dan4G

Post by Dan4G »

Thank you Nella

Yes, this is something we have in our minds to try in-year transfer through the exam if a place gets vacant.

I am not sure about the plan B at the moment and wonder what could that be? Would we be able to get a place at the local comp school (if the appeal is unsuccessful) just in case we decide not to send him to Aston?
Nella

Post by Nella »

I’m not sure how waiting lists work but it would be worth contacting the admissions office of the council. It might be that your son would be considered as a late applicant and would be added to the waiting list. If you live close to the comprehensive school then your son would be ranked according to the oversubscription criteria. At least it would keep options open for you. Good luck!
Dan4G

Post by Dan4G »

Thank you Nella for your advice. Much appreciated
Dan4G

Post by Dan4G »

Hi Etienne, hermanmunster, mad?

I have sent an email to the AppealsBox providing the evidence list and extenuating circumstances and hope will get advice accordingly on the following.

Academic evidences:
Appropriate/enough? or too many?
Anything missing or can be added?

Extenuating circumstances:
Would the first point bear enough weight? Do I need some more added to that point or evidence?
Do I need to expand the third point further?

Many thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dan4G wrote:Hi Etienne, hermanmunster, mad?
I have sent an email to the AppealsBox providing the evidence list and extenuating circumstances and hope will get advice accordingly
I will try to answer your specific questions, but anything sent to the Appeals Box is confidential, so we are very limited in what we can say on the forum.
Academic evidences:
Appropriate
Yes.
enough? or too many?
"As many academic indicators as possible"
- Q&As, B11.

Combine the last two sentences so that you have just one sentence with two different dates - otherwise it looks rather repetitive.
Only you can really say what evidence you have available, after cross checking with B11.
Extenuating circumstances:
Would the first point bear enough weight? Do I need some more added to that point or evidence?
It is not concise enough. I would omit the last three sentences. They are superfluous - the content can be deduced from the first three sentences. It gives the impression that you are trying too hard to make an argument for which there is hardly any proof.

Do you have the evidence for 16/9/20?
Do I need to expand the third point further?
It's concise, which is good.
Perhaps some evidence to support the statement?

Presumably there will be a third section headed "Reasons for wanting a place"?

Hope this helps.
Etienne
Dan4G

Post by Dan4G »

Thank you for your time and advice again Etienne

I have made amends to the draft and can say that these are all the points I can make from an academic perspective and with evidences. I have also checked B11.

Evidence for 16/09/20:
I have evidence which I will attach. I can also ask the school if they can add some points around that to support the argument of the score is not the correct reflection of the ability. Would that work?

What more evidence is required to support the statement?

I have sent another email to the AppealBox containing the below:

1. Complete draft of the appeal letter
2. Head teacher letter
3. Year 6 teacher letter
4. Year 5 teacher letter

As I mentioned, the school is willing to make changes to the supporting letters' wordings to make it more appropriate. I plan to suggest/request as below.

Head Teacher’s letter:
1. Line 2: …we all very strongly feel that *** deserves a place at …
3. Some more strong arguments from academic achievements and abilities perspective
4. Mention of high achievement in intellectual activities – for example, accelerated learning in music (higher level achievement?)
5. Add some supporting argument for the reasons we want *** to attend CHB (local to us, journey to Aston everyday will be a nightmare for us/*** and consume most of his time which he could use for studies, social and sports activities)

Year 6 teacher letter:

2. Mock SATs: Please if possible to provide some evidence that *** has scored the highest marks in the class (if he has) or one of the top achievers.
3. Place in the class: Indicate if he is in the top set for Maths, English, etc. or among top performing pupils.
4. Writing skills: How *** is working hard to improve his writing skills by preparing various pieces of writing and if he is achieving his targets.
5. Ability comparison with sibling: As the teacher was sibling’s class teacher earlier as well, perhaps some comparison to show that *** is as bright(er) as his sibling and also to establish a strong sibling connection. It could well be helpful if he mentions that he taught the sibling, and supports our point that the journey to Aston would be a nightmare.

Year 5 teacher’s letter:

3. Line 11: …to be a role model…
4. Place in the class: Indicate if he is in the top set for Maths, English, etc. or among top performing pupils.
5. If he agrees, please can this be added that he was expected to achieve higher score in 11+

Please can you advise if there are any gaps or something specific I should ask in these letters?
Many thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dan4G wrote:I can also ask the school if they can add some points around that to support the argument of the score is not the correct reflection of the ability. Would that work?
Whether or not it will work rather depends on your appeal panel, but the more the school can make the arguments for you, the more weight they might carry.
What more evidence is required to support the statement?
I can't comment on the forum, but I imagine you're in no position to provide any further proof.
Head Teacher’s letter:
1. Line 2: …we all very strongly feel that *** deserves a place at …
Q&As, B41.
3. Some more strong arguments from academic achievements and abilities perspective
4. Mention of high achievement in intellectual activities – for example, accelerated learning in music (higher level achievement?)
5. Add some supporting argument for the reasons we want *** to attend CHB (local to us, journey to Aston everyday will be a nightmare for us/*** and consume most of his time which he could use for studies, social and sports activities)
Yes. (Perhaps omit "social".)
Year 6 teacher letter:

2. Mock SATs: Please if possible to provide some evidence that *** has scored the highest marks in the class (if he has) or one of the top achievers.
3. Place in the class: Indicate if he is in the top set for Maths, English, etc. or among top performing pupils.
4. Writing skills: How *** is working hard to improve his writing skills by preparing various pieces of writing and if he is achieving his targets.
5. Ability comparison with sibling: As the teacher was sibling’s class teacher earlier as well, perhaps some comparison to show that *** is as bright(er) as his sibling and also to establish a strong sibling connection. It could well be helpful if he mentions that he taught the sibling, and supports our point that the journey to Aston would be a nightmare.
Yes.

Year 5 teacher’s letter:

4. Place in the class: Indicate if he is in the top set for Maths, English, etc. or among top performing pupils.
5. If he agrees, please can this be added that he was expected to achieve higher score in 11+
Yes.

They are clearly being very supportive, but I'm afraid they've fallen into the trap of writing a character reference for much of the time (e.g. "role model"). See Q&As, B48:
A common mistake is to focus on character and attitude to work. The issue is academic ability .....
..... If oversubscription will also be an issue at appeal, it would help to have some support for why this particular school would be suitable
I'm not suggesting they remove all the nice comments, but there is a risk the important points get lost.
The emphasis needs to be on the things of interest to an appeal panel: outstanding academic ability (rather than attitude to work), any significant extenuating circumstances, and "Why this grammar school?"
Etienne
Dan4G

Post by Dan4G »

Many thanks for the review and advice Etienne

I think I now have enough clarity and understanding to prepare the case and will be speaking to the school accordingly for their support in this.

I plan to wait until after 22nd March to understand the waiting list situation before submitting the appeal application.

Thank you very much again. So kind of you and much appreciated!