Oversubscription appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
saida81

Re: Oversubscription appeal

Post by saida81 »

Just had reply from appeals team:

"We don’t routinely include a copy of what parents submit with the letter confirming their appeal hearing details. I have attached what was passed to me from Altrincham Grammar School for Boys as your appeal submission to this email."
Etienne

Re: AGSB paperwork

Post by Etienne »

If they're not routinely copying all documents to all the parties, I don't believe they are complying with the Code.
I quoted the requirement further up:
    • Etienne wrote:The Code says "all the papers":
        • 2.10 The clerk must send all the papers required for the hearing, including the names of the panel members, to both the parties and the members of the panel .....
      Otherwise, how can an appellant check that their case has been copied correctly, and that nothing is missing?
Etienne
saida81

Post by saida81 »

Hi. I have read in the past that people have given the clerk a copy of their presentation/summing up. Has anyone done this now appeals are online? If so how have you managed it?
snoflake

Re: AGSB paperwork

Post by snoflake »

Etienne wrote:If they're not routinely copying all documents to all the parties, I don't believe they are complying with the Code.
I quoted the requirement further up:
    • Etienne wrote:The Code says "all the papers":
        • 2.10 The clerk must send all the papers required for the hearing, including the names of the panel members, to both the parties and the members of the panel .....
      Otherwise, how can an appellant check that their case has been copied correctly, and that nothing is missing?
Saida81, I have not received any copies of my paperwork either, for our appeal next week. It doesn’t seem as if they’re following procedure.
saida81

Post by saida81 »

Are decisions made at the end of each case or as a batch at the end of the week? Just thinking if there are 30+ cases being heard that is a pretty big job to do in one go. I assume they will have to rely heavily on any notes the panel/clerk has made as can't imagine they'd remember every case in detail.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

saida81 wrote:Are decisions made at the end of each case or as a batch at the end of the week? Just thinking if there are 30+ cases being heard that is a pretty big job to do in one go. I assume they will have to rely heavily on any notes the panel/clerk has made as can't imagine they'd remember every case in detail.
They aren't allowed to take decisions until all their hearings for the school have taken place.
I assume they will have to rely heavily on any notes the panel/clerk has made ........
Yes, indeed. They can also still refer to the written cases that were submitted.
Etienne
saida81

Post by saida81 »

Had our appeal today.. absolutely exhausted,feel like I've been hit by a bus. Appeals panel polite, didn't get many questions. I forgot to ask if I could phone for results,I assume it's a no for most areas
saida81

Post by saida81 »

Just had our letter and we were unsuccessful unfortunately. 3 out of 32 were.
Feel deflated as thought we had a very strong case, lots of extenuating circumstances and evidence but I guess you just don't know what the panel will think is important or not, it's so subjective. What is the opinion on ex parents of the school being appealed being panel members?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Very sorry to hear your news.

Would you contribute to the feedback thread? it can be very helpful for parents in future years:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... =35&t=9205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
saida81 wrote:What is the opinion on ex parents of the school being appealed being panel members?
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The School Admissions (Appeal Arrangements) (England) Regulations 2012 disqualify certain people from membership of an appeal panel. The clerk to the panel must not allow a disqualified person to be a member of a panel.
    • A person is disqualified if they are:
      d) any person who has, or at any time has had, any connection with the .... school .... which might reasonably be taken to raise doubts about that person’s ability to act impartially;
It would be worth seeing whether the ESFA (or ombudsman, if this is not an academy) think there are reasonable doubts. The grounds for the complaint would be section 1.7(d) of the Appeals Code (quoted above).
Etienne
saida81

Post by saida81 »

I'm so exhausted I don't know if I could go through with this all again. Would it just be a call to the ESFA or a proper complaint? And if they upheld it I guess I could be offered another appeal but it would be weeks or months away?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now