Oversubscription appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

saida81

Re: AGSB paperwork

Post by saida81 »

Just spoke to Trafford Appeals Service, said majority were posted out Friday by first class post. Remaining to be posted today.
Xavier2020

Post by Xavier2020 »

That’s really helpful. Thank you
saida81

Post by saida81 »

Finally received the paperwork! Couple of questions
1. Is it supposed to include a copy my case too?
2. The full names of the panel members aren't given, just initial and surname, eg, Mrs X Smith. Is is reasonable to ask for the full names?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

saida81 wrote:Finally received the paperwork! Couple of questions
1. Is it supposed to include a copy my case too?
I think so.
The Code says "all the papers":
    • 2.10 The clerk must send all the papers required for the hearing, including the names of the panel members, to both the parties and the members of the panel .....
Otherwise, how can an appellant check that their case has been copied correctly, and that nothing is missing?
Mistakes can occur (for example, late evidence occasionally gets omitted).
2. The full names of the panel members aren't given, just initial and surname, eg, Mrs X Smith. Is is reasonable to ask for the full names?
The Code only refers to "names", but the question seems reasonable if it's a common surname, and you're not sure whether the person is someone you would wish to object to.
Etienne
saida81

Re: Oversubscription appeal

Post by saida81 »

That's what I was wondering with the paperwork. Do I just leave it or contact the appeals team? Also there is no order of proceedings. Don't know if it will be group or individual stage 1.
Xavier2020

Post by Xavier2020 »

My understanding was that our papers would follow at least a week beforehand (but let me know if you hear otherwise).

I can’t remember where I read that though. Also, the date for additional info is 31st May so I guess they can’t send it all out before then.

They are individual appeals, there is no group stage.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Xavier2020 wrote:My understanding was that our papers would follow at least a week beforehand
Thanks for that - so, depending on the date of the hearing, it sounds as if it would be too soon to complain about missing paperwork.
The Code says that all the case papers must be sent out a "reasonable time before the date of the hearing", and this is usually taken to mean a week or so beforehand.
Etienne
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If it is a group appeal, you will usually be given a date and time for the presentation of the school's case to all appellants together and a separate time (possibly on a different day) for your individual hearing.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
saida81

Post by saida81 »

Xavier2020 wrote:My understanding was that our papers would follow at least a week beforehand (but let me know if you hear otherwise).

I can’t remember where I read that though. Also, the date for additional info is 31st May so I guess they can’t send it all out before then.

They are individual appeals, there is no group stage.
Is a week before the old deadlines? My appeal is a week on Monday so it's cutting a bit fine if they plan to send my papers before then. I've emailed the appeals team just to ask if I should be expecting it separately and I'll let you know what they say.

Out of curiosity for others who have had their appeal papers in the post did it contain your case or not?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

All parties (appellant, panel and admissions authority presenting officer - the 'schools rep') should receive all the same documents - so your pack should contain a copy of everything that you have submitted.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now