Oversubscription appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
saida81

Oversubscription appeal

Post by saida81 »

Hi,
What kind of things should head/teacher put in supporting letter for an appeal based on oversubscription? Is emphasis on academic ability as important?
hermanmunster

Re: Oversubscription appeal

Post by hermanmunster »

Have you had a look at this section on the FAQ ? https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... bed-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TBH what is included to some extent depends on why you have not got a place - if it is that you live too far away then it is case of proving why that school is the right school for your child, if it is because the cutoff for the last place offered had a higher score than your child achieved then you will have to look at academic evidence
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Yes - it rather depends on your case.

If child is unqualified (or was expected to score more highly), the following might help:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
saida81

Post by saida81 »

Pass mark in catchment 334. We are ooc,they took boys who got over 358.
Last edited by saida81 on Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

saida81 wrote:Pass mark in catchment 334. We are ooc,they took boys who got over 358. My son got 351.
So do you want to argue that there is evidence to show that he is very able academically and was expected to score more highly than he did?
If so, you need the support of the school, and the link above should help.

You also need good reasons for wanting a place (which the school may or may not be able to support, depending on what they are):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
saida81

10 day notification waiver

Post by saida81 »

Hi all,

Just completing application for an appeal, one of the questions are:

I agree to waive a 10 day notification of my appeal date if necessary. yes/no

Any ideas? Should I say yes or no?
Etienne

Re: 10 day notification waiver

Post by Etienne »

saida81 wrote:Hi all,

Just completing application for an appeal, one of the questions are:

I agree to waive a 10 day notification of my appeal date if necessary. yes/no

Any ideas? Should I say yes or no?
Interesting - no one has thought to ask this before.

It depends whether you need time to plan your other commitments or to prepare for an appeal by video conference. This is more likely to be critical if your child has no school place at present and you are seeking admission now. Because it's urgent, the appeal panel might be able to slot you in for a hearing at very short notice, say, in two days' time. In this situation would you be willing to waive your right to 10 days' notice?

If you are appealing for September entry (and submit your appeal on time), your hearing is unlikely to be before May, so everything ought to be planned well in advance. It probably won't make any difference whether you say 'Yes' or 'No', but if you want to be 100% certain of getting 10 days' notice because it matters to you, say 'No'!
Etienne
saida81

Post by saida81 »

I have just received the letter of support from the head..can I inbox it to make sure it sounds ok please? She is happy to make any amendments
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I have just received the letter of support from the head..can I inbox it to make sure it sounds ok please? She is happy to make any amendments
Hi saida81

First of all you need to tell us what you want your case to be.
Without knowing what your case is, it could be difficult to say whether a letter of support helps or not.

I suspect that to stand any chance at all you would need to argue successfully both (a) and (b) below.
This means you would need strong evidence from the headteacher for (a), and strong reasons of your own for (b).
    • Etienne wrote:(a) So do you want to argue that there is evidence to show that he is very able academically and was expected to score more highly than he did?
      If so, you need the support of the school, and the link above should help.

(b) You also need good reasons for wanting a place (which the school may or may not be able to support, depending on what they are):
      http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
saida81

Weight of evidence vs hearing

Post by saida81 »

Hi,
Don't know if anyone can help but was wondering generally what holds more weight-the evidence submitted before the appeal or how it goes on the day? Obviously there is a lot of pressure on the day and what if we mess up on the day!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now