Olyred Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
OlyRed

Olyred Appeal

Post by OlyRed »

Hi

Sadly we did not get shortlisted for the preferred schools as the scores were not high enough. We been placed on waiting list but the queue ahead is so long I do not think we have a chance. However, the circumstances ahead of exams were so stressful I wonder how my son even got the scores he got (court case as a result and medical evidence)
How do I best make an appeal ? based on Extenuating Circumstances
mad?

Re: Appeal based on Extenuating Circumstances - OlyRed's thr

Post by mad? »

I have moved your post to the appeals section. I'm sure one of our experts will be along in due course but in the interim you should read this and this which will answer some of your questions. In particular note point B10.
It would also be useful if you could say which area/school you are considering an appeal for, and also remember that the most important thing is the academic evidence which you have.
mad?
OlyRed

Re: Appeal based on Extenuating Circumstances

Post by OlyRed »

Thank you ! I have been looking at the posted info - very useful
But I am hopping to get more content if possible - looking to appeal to Sough H consortium ..schools Any help would be welcome ! I have already asked the school for help and they are ready to write what ever I ask them but - I have no idea how is best to present this - so we do not over do it
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

If you read the Q&As (which mad? has linked to), you should find all the information you need.
For example:
I am hopping to get more content
If you're asking about what to include in your appeal letter, then .....
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have already asked the school for help and they are ready to write what ever I ask them
What schools should write .....
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
OlyRed

Post by OlyRed »

HI Etienne
Thank you for the links , I have forwarded the example of the letter for the school - to the school and they more then happy to provide the positive feedback to support the apeal.
But I am focusing on the Extenuating Circumstances we had at the time
My Son has been under tremendous amount of stress months leading up to the 11+ exams, owing to significant family issues (details removed by moderator ) The stress levels were significant that is had further impact on his health in form of severe stomach pain. (GP happy to provide letter and the school)

The overall wellbeing and academic performance have greatly improved as of now and my son is back to his normal self. He is exceling at school and performing well on his other extracurricular activities - my take is to focus on - HAVE HE NOT HAD TO DEAL WITH ALL OF THE ABOVE HE WOULD HAVE DONE SO MUCH BETTER

Thoughts?

Thank in advance for your input
hermanmunster

Re: OlyRed Appeal

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi OlyRed

You have had a very difficult time lately, I hope that things continue to improve for your son.

The key to the appeal is to ensure that the school provide evidence of academic ability and also record the fact that his performance took a dip at the time of the problems the family were having.
Etienne

Re: Olyred Appeal

Post by Etienne »

my take is to focus on - HAVE HE NOT HAD TO DEAL WITH ALL OF THE ABOVE HE WOULD HAVE DONE SO MUCH BETTER
There are three parts to your case.
The extenuating circumstances should be no more than one-third of the case, and should be supported by evidence from the GP, school, etc.

If you follow the link to A43:
I suggest that the length should be no more than a page of A4 (without counting the evidence), and that the ‘weighting’ should be approximately:
    • 1. academic case (one-third)
      2. extenuating circumstances, if significant (one-third)
      3. reasons for wanting a place (one-third)
We've discussed academic performance and extenuating circumstances.
Do not forget the last part - reasons for wanting or needing a place.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please let us know if we can be of any further help.
Etienne