Appeal advice appreciated

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

Re: Appeal advice appreciated

Post by Etienne »

Nichrys wrote:Just wonder if it is still necessary for the head teacher’s letter?
I don't think so. Quite often a letter from the headteacher may have been drafted by the class teacher anyway.
Etienne
Nichrys

Post by Nichrys »

My daughter had a car sick on the test day. She was better after walking around the blocks for 15 mins before entering the school. I did tell her to let the teacher know if she was not well in the test. She told me that she felt a bit sick and headache. She didn’t tell the teacher as she felt it’s embarrassed and worried that they will not let her do the test. Since it’s difficult to get evidence, is it worth to even mention it on the form?

Also, do I need to get the seating plan to approve where and which room she was seated?
Background information sent.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Nichrys wrote:My daughter had a car sick on the test day. She was better after walking around the blocks for 15 mins before entering the school. I did tell her to let the teacher know if she was not well in the test. She told me that she felt a bit sick and headache. She didn’t tell the teacher as she felt it’s embarrassed and worried that they will not let her do the test. Since it’s difficult to get evidence, is it worth to even mention it on the form?
Probably not. She felt better before entering the school.
If she became a bit unwell during the test, it's difficult to raise this as an issue for the first time nearly half a year later.
Also, do I need to get the seating plan to approve where and which room she was seated?
A seating plan can sometimes be useful when there is an issue within the exam room, but, as I understand it, we're talking about the problem arising from two different rooms, so I think it would be sufficient just to state that there were two different rooms (and what the policy is meant to be).
Would the other parent be willing to give you a letter confirming this?

Hope this helps.
Etienne
Nichrys

Post by Nichrys »

Thanks for the advice Etienne.
The other parent is happy to provide a letter to confirm it.
Nichrys

Post by Nichrys »

Hi Etienne,

We have received the support letter from her y6 teacher on behalf of the school. They had another official assessment last week, the letter listed her latest scores, Reading 120, grammar and spelling and maths are all 118 . The prediction for official future assessments are all greater in depth. Do you think it will be enough for academic evidence?

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Nichrys wrote: They had another official assessment last week, the letter listed her latest scores, Reading 120, grammar and spelling and maths are all 118 . The prediction for official future assessments are all greater in depth.
That's very encouraging! :D
Do you think it will be enough for academic evidence?
I'm afraid I can't speak for your panel.
Looking at https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you seem to have B11(c) and (d) covered, which I suspect is a minimum requirement.
Is there anything else?
What sort of language has the class teacher used to recommend her as suitable for grammar school?
Etienne
Nichrys

Post by Nichrys »

It starts with that the letter is to support my daughter’s appeal. She is conscientious and hard working member in her class. And a very mature girl who will work hard at that school to achieve her full potential. It mentioned about her latest scores show much improvement on her scores in September.
It also mentioned that my daughter has faced various challenges throughout this academic year which may have impact her result on 11plus exam.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

She is conscientious and hard working member in her class. And a very mature girl who will work hard at that school to achieve her full potential
It sounds a very nice letter, but compare it with
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is of course for the school to decide what they are able to write - and it is for the individual panel to decide if they have sufficient evidence of academic ability.
Etienne
Nichrys

Post by Nichrys »

Is it worth to put down the child who has issues with my DD will be in the same allocated school as social reason wanting x school?
How can we provide evidence for that?
Information sent
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Nichrys wrote:Is it worth to put down the child who has issues with my DD will be in the same allocated school as social reason wanting x school?
In this instance I don't think a brief reference to the allocated school would do any harm, but, as you know, you must move quickly on to positive reasons for the school you're appealing for.
Nichrys wrote:How can we provide evidence for that?
You could consider asking the primary school to refer to "another child" in their letter of support - but they shouldn't mention the name.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now