Appeal advice please

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
yash_03

Appeal advice please

Post by yash_03 »

Hi, Good evening,

My DD scored 375 for Kent test and 313 for Essex exam, but we are OCC for both the schools. My first preference was Invicta because they don't have cut off marks and do not consider distance either. Based on last few years data, we thought we were in a strong position, but She was not offered a place, mainly because this year school is oversubscribed and I think we have missed the place based on nearness to the school catergory. We really wanted that school, because the subjects which she really wanted to choose, offer only in that school, not the school we were offred.

I would like to know whether we still can have a chance if we appeal, because she has scored well above the pass mark which is 335. Based on last four years admission criteria, we had a strong position from distance criteria as well. When they take a decision on appeals do they not take consider the children academic abilities at all?

My daughter was not top performing child in the school, but she was always with in the expected levels, but in year 5, while preparing for 11plus, I have seen a great improvement on her school work, But when I contacted school headteacher, she said my DD's recent SAT practice results were not, exceptional, they are at expected levels and she never performed at top level, so she doesn't think my DD can handle the grammar school pressure, so I should rather consider the local comprehensive school. But my DD was able to got through two grammar exams and I have seen her improvement, so just based on the, SATs mock results, I don't think its fair to decide she doesn't deserve a grammar place. I also wanted to know whether only top performing children can perform in the grammar schools not middle abilites.

Apologies for the long post. Really appreciate any feedback or suggestions

Many Thanks
scary mum

Re: Appeal advice please

Post by scary mum »

Welcome to the forum!
Have you read this section? When you have, please come back to us if you have specific questions.
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Have you had any information about the waiting list positions yet?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

As far as Kent schools that only require a pass, if your DC has met the academic criteria then there is no ‘my DC is more entitled’ based on score, it is about the oversubscription criteria.

You say that you are surprised Invicta didn’t supply a place but I haven’t heard of it having a huge catchment in the past, have you asked the admissions officer past distances and where your DD is on the waitlist? I am under the impression it is always over subscribed. I’ve heard of other Kent schools like Weald having a large catchment coming out to Petts Wood for example but Invicta I don’t know so much about.

To be considering an Essex or a Kent school you must be either very close to one and some distance from the other or far from all. 375 was a great score to get but as the pass mark was raised this year (again), it has made the pass mark for OOC all the higher and 375 for those that require a high OOC score like Dartford or Tonbridge it sadly isn’t enough.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now