House move delayed due to covid and hence considered ooc

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ashakeel

Appeal on the basis of Catchment area

Post by Ashakeel »

Can anyone help please, son has passed Alty boys but at the time of entrance exam application we were outside catchment area.
Moved house in the catchment area in start of August (well before application deadline for high schools). I understand as per their admission policy they didn’t consider our current postcode, but as son has passed the test and we are now in the catchment area, I want to appeal for a place in Alty boys. Can anyone advise please?
Any help would be much appreciated!!
Many Thanks
KaB£H1s3

Re: Appeal on the basis of Catchment area

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

I don't know the answer to your question, but I would throw in the appeal anyway. Worst case they dismiss your appeal. Best case you get the place.

Are you on the waiting list as an in-catchment applicant? If so, I'd expect a second round offer.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

The admissions policy states:
9.1 For applicants who move address to within our priority admission area (as defined in 7.2) on a date after 1st
July 2020, the new address will not be considered prior to 1st March 2021 but may be considered following 1st
March 2021
The key is to be on the waiting list and ensure that the school are aware of your new address. You may have to provide some evidence etc
8.2 In order to be considered as living in a property within our priority admission area (as defined in section 7.2),
families must prove ownership of that home and provide proof of residency upon request where this becomes
relevant at appeal or otherwise. Where the property has been owned for less than 2 years, families must provide
(upon request at appeal or otherwise) proof of disposal of the previous home i.e. proof that the property has been
sold.
8.3 In order to be considered as living in a rental property within our priority admission area (as defined in section
7.2) families must provide a current rental agreement and proof of residence upon request, where this becomes
relevant at appeal or otherwise. If the family has moved from an owned property into rented accommodation,
proof of disposal of the previously owned property (i.e. proof that the property has been sold) may be requested
at appeal or otherwise. Where the previous property was also a rental property, you may be requested to provide
evidence showing termination of the previous rental agreement.
You can also appeal while you are on the waiting list.
Ashakeel

Post by Ashakeel »

Thankyou very much for your reply!
We are on the waiting list and admissions have been informed about our new postcode.
However when I spoke to admissions, they said they may decide to do a second round of offer only if all the offered places are not accepted.
Thanks very much !
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

hermanmunster wrote:You can also appeal while you are on the waiting list.
The grounds for an appeal, however, will need to be based on your reasons for wanting/needing a place at this particular school.
See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can't challenge the admission arrangements at an appeal, provided that they are lawful and have been correctly applied.

As advised further above, it is usually wise to pursue the two avenues: the waiting list and an appeal.
Etienne
Ashakeel

House move delayed due to covid and hence considered ooc

Post by Ashakeel »

Hi

Son has passed agsb, scored 348. Not offered a place as they considered outside catchment postcode. We intended to move house by April last year in the catchment area for Agsb, I switched my job (and though offered new job in January, asked employer for a delay start “April” ) as was hoping to move by then. We planned and did everything that was in our control.
Our new house survey was done on 20th March but 3 days later due to national lockdown Solicitor & mortgage advisor were furloughed n bank halted the mortgage process.
Although we planned and did everything for house move by April but couldn’t move due to current pandemic until first week of August. (House move was also not recommended during those months due to pandemic)

Not quite sure how do I mention all the above in the appeal later.

He’s in the waiting list and admissions have been informed about our new postcode. We are thinking to go for appeal in case he’s not offered a place at second round of offers. (Not sure when is usually the second round of offers for agsb? Any idea please?

Discussed the matter with school headteacher and she’s willing to write a letter and go with us in the appeal as she thinks he is capable for grammar school. Also two of his close friends are going to agsb too, so he really wants to go there.

Thanks very much for your help.
scary mum

Re: House move delayed due to covid and hence considered ooc

Post by scary mum »

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will get some excellent help soon, but in the meantime have you read this section?

Remember that you aren't appealing for non-qualification, so a letter stating that he is suitable for grammar school isn't really relevant - he has already proved that. Where his friends are going to school is not considered relevant either, although it is uderstandable that he would like to be with them. Section 6c of the information linked above gives advice about appealing for an oversubscribed school.

Have they told you where you are on the waiting list?

ETA: I have just realised that you ahve already had some advice on your other thread, explaining that you need to appeal using he reasons for wanting a particular school.
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

As we mentioned on the other thread, the key is to appeal based on why this is the right school for your son.

Appreciate the problems over the house move, we did actually manage to move in April last year (having exchanged early March) - it was a bit trickier than usual but went OK in the end.

Must say though you were risking it a bit having survey on 20th March and hoping to move by end of June - I've managed that sort of timescale in the past but it all seems to have got so much slower these days, not sure why - maybe more checks / searches / general delay.

Re using this is an appeal comes back to the point mentioned in the FAQ about not challenging the admissions policy - however might find a panel sympathetic if it was briefly mentioned as they were extraordinary times.

PS I have merged your threads so the information is all in one place
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Not quite sure how do I mention all the above in the appeal later.
I suggest you write very little about it yourself - just two or three sentences. Simply attach evidence from all the professionals involved (employer, estate agent, bank etc.) that the house move was delayed despite your best efforts.
It might get you a bit of sympathy, but it doesn't alter the fact that the admission arrangements appear to have been correctly applied by the admission authority.

The basis for your appeal should still be reasons for wanting/needing a place at the school.
Etienne
Ashakeel

Post by Ashakeel »

Thanks for all of your responses!

Thanks very much for your advise Etiene!

Does any one know when do they do the second round of offers?
Approx time??

Has anyone got a place (in agsb)in the second round of offers in recent years?

Many thanks again!!