Best grounds for appeal (Kent s-selective grammar school)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Polina314

Best grounds for appeal (Kent s-selective grammar school)

Post by Polina314 »

DS sat Kent Selection Test on 15/10/2020 and with a score of 395 and has been assessed suitable for admission to a Kent grammar school. Skinners school scoring threshold for admission is 360.
At the time of the Secondary School application submission on 31st October 2020, our address was way out of the catchment area of the school.
We moved near the school within 1.1 miles on 1st January 2021. It was too late to change the address on the secondary school application form.
DS was not offered a place in the school on 1st March 2021.
I have put him on the waiting list. I also would like to appeal. We have strong support from both headteachers (his previous and current primary school).

How would it be correct to formulate ground for appeal? If anyone has any expertise, I would be very grateful.
Etienne

Re: Best grounds for appeal (Kent s-selective grammar school

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

You are absolutely right to pursue both avenues - the waiting list and an appeal.

It sounds as if the only issue is oversubscription, so you will need strong reasons for wanting a place at the school in question - strong enough to outweigh the prejudice to the school if they have to go over their admission number.
See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... school#c18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ideally the headteachers will support your reasons for seeking a place (rather than provide a character reference).
Etienne
monochromecat

Re: Best grounds for appeal (Kent s-selective grammar school

Post by monochromecat »

Do also look at the things Skinners offers in comparison to other schools. You need to be clear about why you think he will benefit from being there. For example smaller than some other local grammars, Diverse PE curriculum with slightly less emphasis on Rugby, drama GCSE (compared to Judd). I presume with a score like that you are on the list for Judd too if he doesn't already have a place there. I think it is hard to quantify the difference between Judd and Skinners but my son had a strong preference for one over the other. At 1.1 miles you must be fairly close and many of the local boys with high scores will opt for Skinners over Judd for ease of travel so you might argue that being near to make friends would benefit him.