Chances of a successful appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
NewAylesburyMum

Chances of a successful appeal

Post by NewAylesburyMum »

Hello everyone.

I would like to get some advise on our approach to our appeal please.

We moved to Aylesbury in December and missed the cut off date for relocation. We applied through our former home council only to bucks school because we knew we would be here eventually, our move was delayed due to COVID. DS wrote the transfer test in October and passed.

We got our school allocation on April 1st and none of the school we listed was assigned. We got a school 12miles away, 25mins driving, 1hr15mins on the bus. I also have another DS in yr3 who would need to get to school.

On the bucks admissions website, it states that for AGS, some spaces were allocated during the second round using catchment rule for distance up to 6.134miles. We live 2.5miles from this school.

Could we base our appeal on this fact? That since we live closer to the school, how come we were not assigned that space? It is our second choice.

Your advise on how to go about this would be very much appreciated . Thank you.
hermanmunster

Re: Chances of a successful appeal

Post by hermanmunster »

Welcome to the forum!

Can I check - did you provide absolutely all the evidence required by Bucks that you had a new address in time for the second round of allocations?

ETA - I think the problem you may have is that "rule 7" is:
5.1.7. Boys living in the catchment area of the school as at and continuously from 31
October of the year preceding entry to Year 7 in September.
so having moved into the area you would come under rule 8 ( I think)

you can certainly apply under "oversubscription" https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... bed-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NewAylesburyMum

Post by NewAylesburyMum »

hermanmunster wrote:Welcome to the forum!

Can I check - did you provide absolutely all the evidence required by Bucks that you had a new address in time for the second round of allocations?
Thanks for the welcome...long time lurker...

Yes we provided all evidence required in January.

One other thing I should mention. A few days before the second round allocation came through, I got an email from our former home council stating they had withdrawn our application for the schools we listed because DS had not written the school transfer test.

I emailed back to confirm he wrote the test. Contacted Bucks admissions team with his ID number and forwarded my emails with them about change of address. They wrote back, I think march 24 to say they have updated the new address on the CAF.

This mix up just makes me wonder whether they made a mistake in accessing our application.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think hermanmunster is correct, you would come under
5.1.8. All other boys.
and so anyone in catchment by 31 October, regardless of the distance from school would come ahead of you.
scary mum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Could we base our appeal on this fact? That since we live closer to the school, how come we were not assigned that space?
I would make sure of the facts first of all.
Have you understood the admission arrangements correctly?
Why not raise any queries with the LA by filling in their contact form?

The basis of most appeals (where the child is qualified) is that there are good reasons for wanting or needing a place at the school being appealed for - reasons that are strong enough to outweigh any prejudice to the school.
Have you read the Q&As?
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now