No chance at an appeal (Reception)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Re: No chance at an appeal (Reception)

Post by ToadMum »

Schools often say that 25 pupils is the 'break even' point for employing another teacher, so to have a PAN of 28 is interesting. Do you know whether there is a reason for it in the LA's school place provision strategy?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Mslongroad21 wrote:Please can I email this to someone to take a look at the full letter.
If I have time I don't mind taking a look.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a62" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wouldn't worry too much about the school case, though. As I've already mentioned, the school is likely to win its case at stage one (most schools do!), so it would probably be best to focus most of your energy on stage two (your reasons for wanting a place). It is at stage 2 - the balancing stage - that most appeals are decided.
I feel like if I hadn’t of emailed them to chase it up, I wouldn’t have heard anything until very near to the appeal date. Surely that is unacceptable?
The case papers must be sent out a "reasonable time" before the hearing. "Reasonable" is not defined! A week is probably reasonable. If you had received the papers only a few days before the hearing, I would have thought that unreasonable.
Also the schools Head Master is the presenting officer. Is he allowed to ask me questions on the day?
Yes, it would be quite normal for the P.O. to ask questions.

The usual order of business is:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- but there might be some changes during covid-19. (For example, not all authorities use video conferencing, so all questions and answers have to be submitted in writing before "the day".)
Etienne
icantthinkofagoodone

Post by icantthinkofagoodone »

Find out what the class sizes are for reception and the older classes. DfE recommended minimum for classes of 30 pupils in reception is 62m2, and for all other classes is 56m2. There may be physical space for more than 28 children?

You can ask this question of the headteacher at the appeal. If he doesn't know - the panel may ask for an adjournment so he can find out.

It is in your favour that the HT is presenting - they are usually less well prepared than a member of the regular school admissions appeals team!

I chaired an appeal last week in which the HT presented... well I say presented. He could not answer a single question we asked. The appeal was upheld as we felt he had not demonstrated any prejudice to the provision of efficient education or the efficient use of resources.
icantthinkofagoodone

Post by icantthinkofagoodone »

Sorry - I can see classroom sizes have been mentioned above. Looks like they are plenty big enough for 28 pupils.

Does the paperwork tell you which other local schools have space and the distances to your house? If not - ask the HT.

If there are other local schools within 3 miles travelling distance of your house that have space, be prepared with reasons as to why they are not suitable for your child. Transport should be offered to the closest school with space if it is over 3 miles away (KS1 - it's 5 miles for KS2) so don't say you can't get him there!

The national average is 14.9% SEND pupils in primary schools. Sounds like theirs is a lot lower - schools with a low level of need can often cope with an additional child with very few problems.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

icantthinkofagoodone wrote:Sorry - I can see classroom sizes have been mentioned above. Looks like they are plenty big enough for 28 pupils.

Does the paperwork tell you which other local schools have space and the distances to your house? If not - ask the HT.

If there are other local schools within 3 miles travelling distance of your house that have space, be prepared with reasons as to why they are not suitable for your child. Transport should be offered to the closest school with space if it is over 3 miles away (KS1 - it's 5 miles for KS2) so don't say you can't get him there!

The national average is 14.9% SEND pupils in primary schools. Sounds like theirs is a lot lower - schools with a low level of need can often cope with an additional child with very few problems.
Which LA are you in? The relevant distances are usually two miles walking distance under 8 years and three miles for age 8 and above (which may be different for nearest school of the child's faith), but usually with a lot of caution wrt how one actually qualifies for transport to be provided. For instance (with the possible exception of a faith school) if you decide to apply for a school you fancy miles away as your first preference and receive a place, it is highly unlikely that your LA would be obliged to provide transport.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Mslongroad21

Post by Mslongroad21 »

Thanks Toadmum. I have the classroom dimensions. They are just under the recommendation from the DFE. And I will point out the recommendations are for 30 pupils, not 28.

Icanthinkofagoodone, am prepared with my answers for that now. Am in the North west and they’re are schools very close with good transport links/walking paths. So guess they will bring this up too.

Thank you Etienne. I’ll have a go at sending the letter to the appeals box in a pdf form.
I understand if you don’t have time to read it.
Would like to thank everyone for their helpful responses.
I hope I can update soon with some good news :?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Building Bulletin 103 gives a recommended figure of 62m2 for 30 pupils at KS1, not 63m2. (Page 14 of my pdf version).

The recommended figure on the same page for a junior classroom with 30 pupils is 55m2, not 57m2.
They may be keen to talk about the "future prejudice" of classrom size in KS2, as these rooms are smaller. While future prejudice would be a legitimate argument, KS2 is so far in the future that it is impossible to speculate about whether a class would still be one above PAN. (Families do move from time to time. If a pupil leaves when the year group is above PAN, that pupil is not replaced.)

What exactly is their evidence that the admission of an extra pupil would cause all the prejudice described?

Have a look at research into the impact of class sizes published by the DfE:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -RR169.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A study by Hattie (2009) found the impact of reducing class size on attainment to be smaller than the impact of other interventions. Hattie argues that value for money in raising attainment in schools is better achieved through other interventions than class size reduction. This is supported by research from Rivkin et al (2005) which finds that increasing teacher effectiveness has greater value for money than reducing class sizes, while Hanushek (2011) suggests assigning the most effective teachers to the largest classes to maximize the potential economic benefit.
there is no clear relationship between a country’s average class size and attainment
Etienne
Mslongroad21

Post by Mslongroad21 »

Etienne I am so grateful that you took the time to read my case.
Honestly can’t thank you enough.
Amazing that you have noticed the discrepancy in their classroom size argument.

The school doesn’t have any real evidence of prejudice if an extra child was admitted.

I will also look into the study.

What will be will be next week…..I’ve got some very good points to counter the schools claims.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'm still puzzling over where they get 63m2 from.

Even though they use the present tense ("National building guidelines state ...."), previous building regulations (until June 2014) recommended 56-63m2, and I suspect that may be where their figure comes from. If so, it's out of date.
Etienne
Mslongroad21

Post by Mslongroad21 »

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help and let you know our appeal was unsuccessful.
I am not surprised by the outcome. But have a few points of the appeal that I am not happy with and have requested the notes from the clerk.

Appeal was held on Tues 6th July. Was told that the decision would be made at the end of the week. Clerk stated he would write to us end of the week.
We received the letter on Thur 8th July but the letter was dated 9th July.
The envelopes Royal Mail stamp says deliver by 8th July?
Seems they made their decision straight away and sent the letter out. I found it strange that they would date the letter later than it was actually sent.
Also a lot of my main points are omitted from the outcome.

The chair kept reminding me throughout that I was going to run over my allotted 25 mins. All very rushed.

Etienne, they was not interested in the fact that the M2 they quoted was incorrect and that it relates to class bases of 30 pupils not 28.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me.
Best of luck to anyone awaiting appeal outcomes.

I will add my appeal to the link for others in the future if you would like?