Invigilator not documented correctly in exam

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mumof2Boys2401

Invigilator not documented correctly in exam

Post by Mumof2Boys2401 »

We had our eleven plus appeal a few weeks ago and it was unsuccessful. Can I just say thank you to everybody on this forum, it has been so helpful the last few months. Our situation was our son was 5 marks off the passmark but had a nose bleed during the exam - something he has a lot due to allergies. This wasn’t documented by the invigilator and even after receiving our appeal documents, the school never looked into it with the invigilator. Our sons teacher and head both backed his academic ability. We used the sibling link as the main reason our son wanted this school, plus his best friends will be going. Also my father collapsed and was hospitalised 2 days before the test and due to COVID we couldn’t see him - added worry. The school we have been allocated, my son will not know anybody. We took his older brother out of the feeder primary for it due to constant bullying therefore our youngest does not want to go where the ones who bullied his brother are. It really felt like the appeal decision was made before we were even seen with the letter we have received but am I so wrong in thinking a nose bleed during the exam would explain a shortfall of 5 points and why is this not even documented?? I will certainly be getting some advice.
Etienne

Re: Invigilator not documented correctly in exam

Post by Etienne »

Very sorry about your news.
If you wish to send me a copy of the decision letter, I don't mind checking it for you.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a62" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
am I so wrong in thinking a nose bleed during the exam would explain a shortfall of 5 points and why is this not even documented??
The panel were entitled to make that decision (even though we may disagree with it), but it should have been documented.
Etienne
Mumof2Boys2401

Post by Mumof2Boys2401 »

Thank you so much Etienne. I will send you the correspondence we have. Our argument is that our son did not actually have 50 minutes to do the paper as everybody else did but the fact that the Invigilator cannot recollect it is strange when they had to assist with tissues. The child sat to the side of my son stood up waving his arms to get the invigilators attention so it’s not like it wasn’t seen by others. Really appreciate your response.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry, but I can't access it. It's password protected. :?
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The decision letter looks to me legally watertight.

It's strange the nose bleed wasn't documented by the invigilator, but the decision letter acknowledges the incident, it doesn't deny it.

As far as I know, extra time is never added on to compensate for an incident during the test, so all that could happen is that an appeal panel will consider the extenuating circumstances, as they seem to have done.

I'm afraid that - even if the extenuating circumstances accounted for 5 marks - the panel were turning down the appeal anyway on academic grounds, despite strong support from the primary school.
We might disagree with that decision, but it is open to the panel to say that they are not fully satisfied with the academic evidence (such as end of year predictions), and the ombudsman won't want to get involved in that. The ombudsman investigates procedure, but not the decision itself.

I'm sorry I can't be more encouraging, but I wouldn't want to mislead you about your chances. Perhaps with all the case papers, the clerk's notes, and the possibility of questioning the panel and school if required, the ombudsman might come to a different view.

At least by going to the ombudsman the procedure will be looked at officially, and you will know you've done everything you possibly could.

Good luck. Do please let us know how you get on.
Etienne
Mumof2Boys2401

Post by Mumof2Boys2401 »

Thank you Etienne for your time and reply. I will let you know how we get on with the Ombudsman.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now