Piya Slough Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Piya

Piya Slough Appeal

Post by Piya »

Hello,

I am in a similar position as the first poster. My daughter scored 109 in the Slough test and >121 in bucks but preference is Slough as it's closer and she has an older sibling in a Slough GS.

I just want to check if I've understood the appeals guidance correctly: I have to name the Slough Grammar schools we want on the CAF first even though she's not eligible and won't get offered the place and then wait until I receive the refusal in march and then appeal?

I'm then thinking how do I fill in the CAF? Do I put the Slough GS first or the bucks school? (for which she's eligible but not sure of her chances getting in, 5.6 miles from Burnham grammar and 8.9 miles from Becky high).

Also, can anyone tell me what the commute is like at peak morning time from Slough to Becky high. We did the journey on a Sunday and it wasn't too bad, 20 minutes, but no idea what it'll be like in normal traffic. Burnham although distance is nearer I know practically it'll be quite a trek in the mornings as Burnham is completely on the other end of Slough to where we live.

And one last issue: my daughter's date of birth was incorrect in the Slough portal and I had let them know. The Slough GS stated they noted the change but it won't get updated in the portal. On the day of the exam her answer sheet still showed the wrong date of birth. I'd prepped my daughter to look out for this so she flagged to the staff. They recorded the correct info on their sheet but her answer sheet was not corrected. I'm concerned also that the wrong date of birth was used and this might have impacted her score (the date was a difference of 11 days within the same month). I've contacted the Slough Consortium to confirm back what date was used.

Sorry for all the questions and thank you for reading.
Last edited by Piya on Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mad?

Re: Piya Slough Appeal

Post by mad? »

Hi Piya

Welcome to the forum. I have split your post into a thread of your own as it is easier to reply to the specifics of a case this way.
mad?
mad?

Post by mad? »

Piya wrote:Hello,
My daughter scored 109 in the Slough test and 131 in bucks but preference is Slough as it's closer and she has an older sibling in a Slough GS.
I just want to check if I've understood the appeals guidance correctly: I have to name the Slough Grammar schools we want on the CAF first even though she's not eligible and won't get offered the place and then wait until I receive the refusal in march and then appeal?
Yes, that is correct.
Piya wrote:I'm then thinking how do I fill in the CAF? Do I put the Slough GS first or the bucks school? (for which she's eligible but not sure of her chances getting in, 5.6 miles from Burnham grammar and 8.9 miles from Becky high).
Put the schools in our genuine order of preference (which sounds from the above as Slough 1st). Remember to put one school that you are guaranteed a place at (as last preference).
Piya wrote:Also, can anyone tell me what the commute is like at peak morning time from Slough to Becky high. We did the journey on a Sunday and it wasn't too bad, 20 minutes, but no idea what it'll be like in normal traffic. Burnham although distance is nearer I know practically it'll be quite a trek in the mornings as Burnham is completely on the other end of Slough to where we live.
Sorry for all the questions and thank you for reading.
Try it. From my (not recent) experience it is not a journey I'd want a DD to be doing on a daily basis. Good luck.
mad?
Piya

Post by Piya »

Thank you for the prompt replies!
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

To help with the travel time, regularly plot it in Google maps at the times you would travel as it will show traffic etc
Proud-Dad

Post by Proud-Dad »

I was in a similar situation as you. My Son got well over 121 (edited by mod) in Buckinghamshire but had a very bad day in Slough.

He was totally stuck in the verbal part and we were so stressed out for the last 4 weeks.

Miraculously he managed to get away with 117.

I fully understand how you are feeling, I'm so sorry to hear about your results.
I was thinking about moving to Buckinghamshire but didn't in the end and luckily it worked out for us.

I really hope it's sorted for your bright child. The other results prove it anyway.

All the best and please let us know how it goes. I pray your child passes this hurdle easily.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Just wondering why you sat the Bucks test as it seems you didn't want a place there? With that score (which you've posted) it will have affected the cohort statistics maybe against another child who really wanted a place at a Bucks grammar. A friend's child has just scored 120.4 and are all crying.
Piya

Post by Piya »

@Deb70 we were keen on the idea of a girls grammar school hence I wanted to give her the chance to sit for it. Obviously if she is unsuccessful for Slough then the plan is a bucks school but equally I know my chances to get into bucks are less likely because of the distance but that didn't mean we won't try at all Either way, she has been a top set student throughout her schooling so a grammar school is definitely the best place I feel for her. Wish you all the best
Piya

Post by Piya »

@Proud-dad thank you for your well wishes
Piya

Post by Piya »

@Brackenboo thanks for that helpful suggestion! I'm also trying to locate how far out Becky high allocated to over the last few years, can anyone help?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now