Help with preparing for Selection Review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ASaddique

Help with preparing for Selection Review

Post by ASaddique »

My DS missed the pass mark for Bucks by 1, we are really disappointed as his elder brother is in Grammar school and my DS really wanted to join him. I am planning to go ahead with SR. Would really appreciate some help with couple of questions.

Academically he is GDS for Maths/Reading and EXS for Speaking & Listening/Writing. Is that going to be a problem given that he only missed by 1 mark?

I am not sure whether to add Extenuating circumstances. My father passed away in late January 2021 with Covid and we were all devastated as a family. My younger son was particularly hurt as all the family were allowed to see my father few days before he passed away but hospital did not let my younger son into the Covid ward as he was too young, so he very much felt like he never got a proper closure. As a result, he has been angry/anxious, initially refused to go back to school in April, we had to get counselling through school over last few months to help him.

He (and his brother) also missed more school than a lot of other kids, as I pulled them out of school in early November 2020 and for rest of December due to fear of them catching Covid and passing it to my parents who lived with me, despite our vigilance my father caught Covid from hospital as he had to go for dialysis twice a year.

Missing additional 2 months of school and grieving his grandfather's death has in my opinion affected my DS academic progress in Year 5 but not sure if I should mention it in my SR, would really appreciate some input as I feel I am inclined to have a biased opinion.

Many thanks.
Etienne

Re: Help with preparing for Selection Review

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to the forum! :)
I am not sure whether to add Extenuating circumstances
It depends what your headteacher will write. Ideally there would be evidence that the school noticed he was affected in September 2021.
Not sure that extenuating circs matter too much with a 120 score.
EXS for Speaking & Listening/Writing. Is that going to be a problem given that he only missed by 1 mark?
This might be a problem, even though there was only a shortfall of one mark.
It depends what the headteacher will write in support.
Etienne
ASaddique

Re: Help with preparing for Selection Review

Post by ASaddique »

Hi Etienne, thanks for the warm welcome and prompt reply, much appreciated.