11 Plus Bucks Selection Review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Proudmum235

11 Plus Bucks Selection Review

Post by Proudmum235 »

Looking for some advice.

DS scored 118 in 11+ test in Bucks. DS goes to an OOC school however we live in Buckinghamshire (as we moved into the County recently and did not want to move the children out of a very good school). We have spoken to the Head Teacher who has recommended selection review as Grammar School is appropriate for DS and he would thrive in it.

DS has been GDS in reading, writing and maths since year 1 and his key stage 1 levels were very high.

The head will write her statement of support in terms of academic attainment however since the school is OOC the school testing system is not CATs and PIRA instead. Would it be worth adding the scores as evidence - they are all very high scores between 75% and 93% since year 3.

Additionally DS went back to school in September and has been subject to bullying by children in his class. This was documented prior to the results through an email to the class teacher and subsequent telephone calls where the teacher agreed various actions. The Head Teacher will be adding this to the extenuating circumstance section.

Is the above enough to support the Selection Review or should we add anything else.
I was thinking of adding the following:
1. School reports showing GDS in maths, reading and writing since year 1.
2. PIRA test papers showing high SS scores of 119+
3. Head teachers report
4. Summary of extenuating circumstance with statement from school as evidenced to verify including test results at school taken whilst bullying was taking place showing a dip in the results from previous years.

I don’t want to add too much information if it is not appropriate for the Panel.

Any advice would be welcomed. Many thanks.
Etienne

Re: 11 Plus Bucks Selection Review

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)
Proudmum235 wrote:I was thinking of adding the following:
1. School reports showing GDS in maths, reading and writing since year 1.
Probably overkill. I'm not sure the panel would thank you for giving them so much to read!
In your case the Y5 report would probably be more than enough - and even that is optional. (Make sure there are no comments that might weaken the case.)
The standard headteacher review form does ask for attainment from Y2 to Y5, so when you see a copy check that the head has noted GDS from Y2 onwards
2. PIRA test papers showing high SS scores of 119+
Although the correlation is indirect, I would be more comfortable with scores over 121.
The head may report these anyway - the standard form asks the school for the results of any nationally standardised tests.
3. Head teachers report
Good
4. Summary of extenuating circumstance with statement from school as evidenced to verify including test results at school taken whilst bullying was taking place showing a dip in the results from previous years.
Good

Hope this helps.
Etienne
Proudmum235

Post by Proudmum235 »

Hi Etienne

Thanks for your reply, your response is appreciated. I’ve read other forums and posts in the past and can see you’ve been extremely helpful with your advice.

School reports
I will wait for the Head Teachers report tomorrow and if this is clearly stated (which she has suggested will be) I will not provide the reports or year 5 report only at the most.

PIRA reports
So most of the scores are well over 121 for years 4 and 5 for example 132. Could I maybe just add these and should I provide copies of the papers as evidence. Is there any point?

Should I ask for predicted year 6 grades or do you think the Head Teacher will provide this in her report anyway?

Is there anything else you would recommend and what are DS’s chances in your opinion?

Thank you so much for you guidance.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Proudmum235 wrote: PIRA reports
So most of the scores are well over 121 for years 4 and 5 for example 132. Could I maybe just add these and should I provide copies of the papers as evidence. Is there any point?
I don't think you can submit the papers - school work (and I would have thought this would count as school work) isn't usually accepted.
Let's wait and see whether the head provides the scores.
Should I ask for predicted year 6 grades or do you think the Head Teacher will provide this in her report anyway?
These are needed. Is the head using the standard review form, or providing a letter of her own? The standard form asks for predictions.
Is there anything else you would recommend
Everything you need for a review is set out in the Q&As, E32 (b).
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... aneous#e32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We even offer some advice for OoC headteachers. (Whether they are receptive is another matter! :lol:) :
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(The advice was written for an appeal, but it would be the same for a review.)
and what are DS’s chances in your opinion?
60% succeeded with a score of 118 last year, and I would have thought you stand at least a 60% chance, possibly much higher - but nothing is guaranteed, and it depends what the headteacher writes.
Etienne
Proudmum235

Post by Proudmum235 »

Just wanted to drop a quick note to say thank you for your help. Just found out our selection review was successful, we are so relieved. DS is over the moon. Thank you again.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Excellent news !!! :D :D

Hope you will stay around on the forum to help others next year!
Proudmum235

Post by Proudmum235 »

Absolutely, it’s been such a journey and would be happy to share advice.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Proudmum235 wrote:Just wanted to drop a quick note to say thank you for your help. Just found out our selection review was successful, we are so relieved. DS is over the moon. Thank you again.
Well done!
Delighted to hear your news. :D
Etienne
mad?

Post by mad? »

Well done Proudmum235!
mad?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now