Missed pass mark by 0.65 - Aen90 - Essex

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Aen90

Missed pass mark by 0.65 - Aen90 - Essex

Post by Aen90 »

Good morning

I wondered if anyone could help as I’m completely at a loss of what to do or who I contact.

My son missed the pass rate by 0.65 he scored 302.35 and pass rate is 303. Therefore he can not be considered for any grammar school.

The area I live in Essex I am aware of high pass rates for entry to school but I believe I still have to try and being so close to the pass rate I wanted at the least to get the score to a pass and maybe appeal down the line.

I contacted CSSE who advised me to ask for a clerical check where he sat the test which I’ve done. The school have advised that an appeal will most likely be unsuccessful. I’ve spoken to my sons primary who were a little unhelpful apart from saying all they know is when they sit the exam and can’t advise any further on appeals.

Also i believe my son may have exceptional circumstances to be included with a family member falling very Ill and with life changing disabilities which affected my son building up to the exam.

I really don’t know what I’m doing in regards to appeal. If anyone could help me I would be very grateful.

Do I appeal his mark now if it doesn’t get changed after the clerical check? Or do I put my preferences for schools down as I would for grammar as if he passed and appeal the school places? Also if anyone can indicate who I appeal to?

Also can anyone advise on appeals on out of area schools?

Thank you for taking your time to read.
hermanmunster

Re: Missed pass mark by 0.65 - Aen90 - Essex

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Aen90 and welcome to the forum

The process for appealing is to apply for the school ie put it on the CAF and then when you are refused a place in March you will be given information about how to appeal

We have lots of info on appeals here https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you need to look in the general section and then "non-qualification"
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Welcome to the forum. Have you read this section? Please have a read & come back to us with any specific questions.
It's worth noting that you cannot appeal to a school until you have applied & been turned down (ir after March 1st). A review of the score is a separate matter.

Cross posts with hermanmunster
scary mum
Aen90

Post by Aen90 »

Thank you for your responses.

I have read through the links you have sent.

Sorry this is completely new to me just one clarification if anyone could help.

Can I appeal his score now if the clerical check comes back unsuccessful?

Or do I have to wait till refusal of a place in March?

I’m aware our local grammar you have to score 340 minimum to get in. Anyone had experience of successful appeals with a score much lower. I’m trying to weigh up whether it’s worth a shot or not as the school said it would be unlikely to be successful.

Also can I appeal two grammars at the same time?

Sorry for all the questions, and thank you for taking your time to read and reply.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Aen90 wrote:Can I appeal his score now if the clerical check comes back unsuccessful?
No unfortunately you can only appeal after being refused a place, there is no appeal process for the exam result in itself
Aen90 wrote:I’m aware our local grammar you have to score 340 minimum to get in. Anyone had experience of successful appeals with a score much lower. I’m trying to weigh up whether it’s worth a shot or not as the school said it would be unlikely to be successful.
It is quite a long way short of the cutoff - really appeals are only successful in those circumstances if there is much evidence of high academic ability and very significant extenuating circumstances which suddenly impacted on the performance of the child. However there is nothing to stop you trying
Aen90 wrote:Also can I appeal two grammars at the same time?
You can appeal to any school where you have been refused a place
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Whereabouts in Essex are you? The 'pass mark' of 303 is only relevant for the schools in the Borough of Southend. If you live within the priority area for the Southend grammar schools (SS0 - SS9), the cut-off for those schools has never been as high as 340. So I'm assuming that your local CSSE grammar school is either KEGS or CRGS? In which case, no score is an actual 'fail', because the just go down the list under the relevant criteria until the year group is full, but yes sadly, 302/3 is way lower than the lowest score to be offered at either of those schools in the initial allocation and very unlikely ever to have been successful at appeal.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Aen90

Post by Aen90 »

Thanks for your replies.

Yes keggs is our local school and in the town where I live. I kind of knew it would be a long shot to get into there, also knowing Colchester is also very competitive to get into also.

Southend is out of catchment and I know he will have had to score higher for out of catchment. I guess has anyone out of area scored 302/303 and Gained a place at Southend OR Westcliffe? Also with an appeal? Or Gained through waiting lists?

Thanks again for reading and taking time to reply.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

They won't have got in with less than 303, unless on appeal, which is very rare (I think the DS of someone on the forum did get in with a score lower than that some years ago, but they had very specific and personal extenuating circumstances). By all means, use one (or even two) of your CAF places on the Southend grammars, if you think that you would want to try an appeal after March 1st, but to be brutally honest, your chance of a place at either school is vanishingly small :(.

If you really can't face any of the local schools which your DS would be likely to get, Shoeburyness High School admits up to 31 on a pass / near miss score if not all places filled, but I seriously can't imagine anyone actually sending their DC all that way to a comprehensive school, well-regarded as it may be as the catchment school for that side of the Borough of Southend.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Aen90

Post by Aen90 »

Thank you for your response and advice.