Bucks: Headteacher not supportive

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

Re: Bucks: Headteacher not supportive

Post by Etienne »

Moon unit wrote:I hope these sharp elbowed parents don’t get preferential headteacher recommendations but I suspect they do.
I do think there are issues to do with consistency, but for each Bucks primary school the panel will have a matrix showing the correlation between the recommendations made prior to the publication of results, and the number of children who subsequently qualified.
The panel should be able to see if there is a mismatch between recommendations and outcomes, and form a view about how reliable a school's recommendations are.
This doesn't work well when a school has only a small number of candidates, and it doesn't work at all for out of county (non-partner) schools because they do not submit recommendations before the publication of results (so the recommendation could possibly be influenced by the result!).
I am not aware of our head supporting any reviews
The matrix (unless the number of candidates is on the low side) ought to give some clues as to whether the head tends to be unreasonably strict.
It will be made available to parents at appeal, following an unsuccessful review.
Otherwise it could be obtained by means of a Freedom of Information request (provided the numbers are not so small that individual children might be identified).
Etienne
Chairboyssupporter

Post by Chairboyssupporter »

I now have the results of the WISC report. I'll quote percentiles (hope it's ok to post such personal results - perhaps it will help someone else if considering a WISC report):

General cognitive ability - 79th (based on a combination of the below, I think)
Processing Speed index - 94th
Visuo Spatial - 77th
Fluid Reasoning - 88th
a clinically meaningful discrepancy on Verbal Comprehension - Similarities (84th) and Vocabulary (37th)
& inconsistent performance on Working Memory - Picture Span (95th) and Digit Span (50th); Letter-number sequencing (75th)

So some really strong scores but diluted by the Vocab score. The psychologist did say it was an unusual profile and that his Vocab score "didn't fit" with his overall profile - something to possibly explore with the SEN of his current or secondary school. She mentioned that it was possible to tutor/learn vocab (and therefore work to bring that score up) but that it wasn't so easy to improve processing ability/techniques (which he has a natural ability in). I asked whether there could be any dyslexic tendencies, but she said the test wasn't designed to draw that out so couldn't say one way or the other.

Could I use this data to supplement the 11+ results to suggest that DS is naturally capable and bright but that either because of an as yet undiagnosed learning condition, or due to extenuating circumstances [last year (learning isolation) and this year (lack of family support/time this year because of my treatment)], his vocabulary still needs improvement (which he will continue to work on during Y6 irrespective of the Review process)?

Thanks as always.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Chairboyssupporter wrote:I now have the results of the WISC report. I'll quote percentiles (hope it's ok to post such personal results - perhaps it will help someone else if considering a WISC report):
No problem at all. :)
You're very welcome to share (as much as you feel comfortable with).
General cognitive ability - 79th (based on a combination of the below, I think)
Processing Speed index - 94th
Visuo Spatial - 77th
Fluid Reasoning - 88th
a clinically meaningful discrepancy on Verbal Comprehension - Similarities (84th) and Vocabulary (37th)
& inconsistent performance on Working Memory - Picture Span (95th) and Digit Span (50th); Letter-number sequencing (75th)
PSI is remarkably good!
Ideally, though, I would have liked to see a FSIQ around the 90th percentile.
The psychologist did say it was an unusual profile and that his Vocab score "didn't fit" with his overall profile - something to possibly explore with the SEN of his current or secondary school.
I suggest letting the current school have a copy of the report, and discussing with them.
Also the secondary school in due course.
She mentioned that it was possible to tutor/learn vocab (and therefore work to bring that score up) but that it wasn't so easy to improve processing ability/techniques (which he has a natural ability in).
Helpful point.
I asked whether there could be any dyslexic tendencies, but she said the test wasn't designed to draw that out so couldn't say one way or the other.
It's fair comment, although we do see reports where the EP has ventured to make cautious observations such as "Could be indicative of a dyslexic tendency".
Could I use this data to supplement the 11+ results to suggest that DS is naturally capable and bright but that either because of an as yet undiagnosed learning condition .....
I don't like "as yet undiagnosed" because it sounds too speculative.
Focus on what we know:
• "a clinically meaningful discrepancy on Verbal Comprehension"
and on the positives:
• exceptional processing speed which will be invaluable now that the vocab issue has been identified: The EP mentioned that it was possible to improve verbal comprehension, but that it wouldn't have been so easy to improve processing ability/techniques if this had been the problem.
or due to extenuating circumstances ......
I wouldn't overcomplicate things with "either ... or" - keep these other extenuating circumstances as a separate issue.

I'm afraid I can't tell you whether the WISC report will help your review.
On balance I would include it, but there is a risk the panel will just say that it confirms the result of VR in the transfer test, so the transfer test delivered the correct outcome.
Also, I don't know what advice the LA educational psychologist will give the panel - although I'm pretty sure she would agree with the argument about processing speed.
She has given my DS a "4" for grammar school suitability and a "Do not wish to make a recommendation" for attitude to learning
I think you need to push back against this, and say on the review form that the '4' recommendation for academic potential seems somewhat harsh in light of a STTS of 119.5 and of most of the percentiles in the WISC report.

Is there anything in school reports that could justify a non-recommendation for attitude?
What were the grades for effort?
Etienne
Chairboyssupporter

Thanks as always. Some very helpful points for me to take on board.

With regards to effort - DS had "A"s ("Above Average") for all the subjects in his Y5 report. And in the comment section - "he has an excellent work ethic and has therefore made good progress across the curriculum. He is always well prepared and organised for every lesson and has enjoyed the challenge of KS2". Plus "responsible" and "reliable" are mentioned. I was planning to include his Y5 report in the evidence. The psychologist who undertook the WISC report also noted that DS was "a polite and engaging individual, who appeared to be motivated to do well on the WISC-V".

Whilst the headteacher has written 4/0 on my Selection Review form, I do not know if that is what she originally submitted (I'm not sure if "0" is a real option, or whether the head just doesn't want to tell me the score for some reason)

I assume that in my Review form, I should acknowledge the head is not supportive (rather than ignoring the obvious), but use the independent academic evidence and the comments relating to his aptitude and attitude, and simply ask the Review Panel to draw their own conclusion.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I hardly ever suggest challenging the headteacher's recommendation because there is rarely anything to justify doing so, but in view of the evidence in this case, I think you need to take a stand.
For example:
The '4' recommendation for academic suitability/potential seems to have been somewhat harsh in light of a STTS of 119.75, and of most of the percentiles in the WISC report.
And with regard to the lack of a recommendation for attitude, we would respectfully ask the panel to look at X's Y5 report and draw their own conclusions.
Etienne
Chairboyssupporter

Much appreciated, again.

I'll let you/this forum know the outcome of the Review next year. Thanks again for all the impartial advice and practical suggestions in this forum.
Chairboyssupporter

Hi All,

Just to close this one off - unfortunately our review was unsuccessful. Thank you for all the supportive comments and feedback (especially from Etienne). At least we tried. There is a 12+ exam for a potential Y8 entry which we may look into in due course, as my son was so keen on one particular grammar school - but appreciate that will also be dependent on spaces being available etc, and would obviously be a disruption of school/friendships. The process will certainly make me more aware of the scorings at earlier years for my younger son as I know that I wasn't aware how significant they would become.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Sorry to hear that Chairboyssupporter, sadly it is a learning process for us all, when really it should just be about the ability of the DC. Good luck with everything going forward. If you can bear it do stay around to help others in a similar position in the future.
mad?
Chairboyssupporter

Thank you #mad?

Obviously happy to help others wherever I can. If I'd known the headteacher's view carried so much weight at times like this, I might have made different decisions when my DS was 3, which is probably not the advice others on this forum need to hear! Still, if he'd achieved the pass-mark, we wouldn't be in this position.

Thanks for the support
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Chairboyssupporter wrote:Hi All,

Just to close this one off - unfortunately our review was unsuccessful. Thank you for all the supportive comments and feedback (especially from Etienne). At least we tried. There is a 12+ exam for a potential Y8 entry which we may look into in due course.
Very sorry to hear your news.
With the lack of support from the headteacher it was uphill all the way, but you couldn't have done more than you did.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now