Bucks Selection Review Question

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

smalltowngirl

Bucks Selection Review Question

Post by smalltowngirl »

DS scored a very surprising 118.

Head Teacher gave him a 2 (ability) : 1 (attitude) and a glowing report saying “recommended without hesitation”.

He has been GDS for Reading and Maths all the way through KS2, EXS for Writing.

He is predicted to be GDS for Reading, Writing and Maths at end of KS2. 111-120 predicted for both subjects in SATS.

I feel as if most boxes are ticked but wonder if 2 things might let him down:

- the 2 for ability?
- the EXS in Writing might be a problem, despite the predicted GDS this year?

Would really appreciate an informed opinion! Thanks!
Etienne

Re: Bucks Selection Review Question

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)
smalltowngirl wrote:I feel as if most boxes are ticked but wonder if 2 things might let him down:
- the 2 for ability?
It's fine - unless the head has been over-optimistic with the '2' recommendations. (If it were to turn out that most of them haven't qualified, then a '2' might not carry much weight.)
- the EXS in Writing might be a problem, despite the predicted GDS this year?
Yes, I fear it could be unless the head has explained the jump to GDS. See E32 (b):
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... aneous#e32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If Writing has been consistently at EXS from Y2-Y5, the explanation will need to be convincing.
Etienne
smalltowngirl

Post by smalltowngirl »

Thank you Etienne, you are very generous with your advice!

The HT has stated in her review that the school assesses very conservatively to explain why he had been at EXS and that they confidently predict GDS at end of year 6.

I suppose this comes down to how much confidence they place in the HT's explanation?

Will the panel be as interested in Writing as they are in Reading and Maths? i.e. equal weighting for all 3?

I forgot to mention in my original post that NFER scores are all around 110 plus, which will hopefully work in his favour?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

smalltowngirl wrote:The HT has stated in her review that the school assesses very conservatively to explain why he had been at EXS and that they confidently predict GDS at end of year 6.
I suppose this comes down to how much confidence they place in the HT's explanation?
Yes.
Here again, if it's a Bucks school, they can look at the school's overall recommendations, and form a view about whether the head tends to be realistic.
Will the panel be as interested in Writing as they are in Reading and Maths? i.e. equal weighting for all 3?
Probably - but it's a decision for the panel.
I forgot to mention in my original post that NFER scores are all around 110 plus, which will hopefully work in his favour?
It's not clear to me what papers these were. If they had "SATs" in the title, the results would be 'scaled' scores with a maximum of 120, and one would be looking for something in the range 111-120.

NFER tests with titles such as 'Progress in English' do not result in scaled scores. They are nationally standardised tests, and the scores can go as high as 140. With these tests I think ideally one would like to see at least 121, if not higher.
Etienne
smalltowngirl

Post by smalltowngirl »

Hi Etienne,

Thanks for the honest and constructive feedback.

We had previously thought we had a pretty good case but now feel far less confident. It seems that we are now relying solely on the HT's predicted end of year scores and positive recommendation.

Perhaps this is not worth pursuing after all? We would not want to put him through the trauma of another disappointment.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

We would not want to put him through the trauma of another disappointment
Just a comment (and to anyone else reviewing / appealing) if possible don't mention to the child, it is for the adults to do.

Better that you encourage them about the new school that they are likely to go to without leaving uncertainty over a chance to go elsewhere. You can do the review / appeals (if you opt to) but do them in the background and then there will be no further disappointment for the child.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Good advice from hermanmunster.

118 is a very respectable score, so I think you ought to follow through with a review or appeal, and see what happens.
Etienne
smalltowngirl

Post by smalltowngirl »

Thanks very much - you are very generous with your advice. :D
smalltowngirl

Post by smalltowngirl »

Quick one to say we were successful with our selection review and thanks for the advice!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

smalltowngirl wrote:Quick one to say we were successful with our selection review and thanks for the advice!
that is excellent news!!! :D :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now