Requesting a review swlondonmum

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Swlondonmum

Requesting a review swlondonmum

Post by Swlondonmum »

I'm really sorry to jump on this thread but keen to understand - are reviews offered only at some grammar schools and not at others?
I was hoping to request a review for the Sutton Stage 2 exam, however that doesn't appear to be an option at all and the school gave me a blanket response that I could appeal after National Offers Day :(
Am I missing something?
Etienne

Re: Requesting a review

Post by Etienne »

Swlondonmum wrote:I'm really sorry to jump on this thread but keen to understand - are reviews offered only at some grammar schools and not at others?
I was hoping to request a review for the Sutton Stage 2 exam, however that doesn't appear to be an option at all and the school gave me a blanket response that I could appeal after National Offers Day :(
Am I missing something?
Reviews are a sort of optional extra. Where they exist they tend to be organised by the LA rather than by individual grammar schools.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Swlondonmum

Requesting a review

Post by Swlondonmum »

Thank you Etienne,
And if reviews are indeed offered, where would I be able to find that out? Do you suggest I contact Sutton council directly?
Swlondonmum

Re: Requesting a review

Post by Swlondonmum »

Etienne,
I don’t believe the Sutton council offers reviews however I will try to ring them on Monday to enquire.
Our situation is very unique as we’re baffled by a very low English (essay writing) standardised score our daughter got at a stage 2 of the Sutton exams. It’s not only a few points off from the minimum required to be seems of a selective ability - it’s way off (I suppose it’s the equivalent of submitting a nearly blank paper). Meanwhile her Maths stage 2 score is rather strong.
This is completely unexpected as DD was very happy after the exam and had written 2+ pages; her writing is generally considered strong and she’s in top sets across all subjects at school.
What we would like to confirm is whether there could be potentially Any human/admin error due to all of the above. So really after a remark/review rather than an appeal. We’ve approached the school but they’re suggesting appeal after 1st of March. This is way off and we see no value of the appeal as our case is not borderline. I’ve tried searching the forums and guidance everywhere but can’t find anyone in a similar predicament. Do you have any advice as to how a remark/review could be requested. I’ve offered to pay for it, to go to the school and check out myself and anything else I could think of but the school has brushed me off. Thinking about it,
I’m probably not fully clear on the distinction of powers between the LA and the school (as not from the UK originally).

All I want at this point is for another person to check (even administratively) the essay and confirm whether the score is realistic (40% standardised). Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
hermanmunster

Re: Requesting a review swlondonmum

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi - I have split your posts out of the other thread so they don't get lost and all the comments can be in one place

I am not sure of the current policy in Surrey re remarks but I have done a search on this forum (via google as it is sometimes picks up more results than the forum search) - there clearly were people getting remarks but these were a few years ago and at the time of appeal - might be worth having a read of the threads and see if there is anything recent or ideas about how to approach it - my concern would be that the maximum that anyone would do at this stage is tot up the marked scores to see if the figure was right rather than actually arrange a remark of writing - anyway the search was :

surrey schools 11 plus remark of exam papers

can also try :

surrey schools 11 plus remark of exam papers site:www.elevenplusexams.co.uk
Swlondonmum

Post by Swlondonmum »

Thanks Etienne,
This search produced a few interesting threads but none of them were similar to our situation.
I guess, more generally then, if we’re not allowed to have a review/remark prior to March, do we get that done as part and parcel of the appeal process (if we ever embark on it)?
Is it standard practice to review the exam papers on anyone appealing?

Also, from your experience, what is the minimum standardised score one can achieve? Is 40 even an option?

I’d be more understanding if this was a multiple choice exam where DD could have simply marked the wrong answers on the answer sheet but given this task was simply writing an essay which she was confident and excited about and wrote 2+ Pages on, I just can’t wrap my head around the situation?!
Swlondonmum

Post by Swlondonmum »

HermanMunster,
Apologies, I just realised it was you and not Etienne who responded.
Much appreciate your guidance as well!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

No problem!

I expect Etienne will respond later and be able to answer some of the questions
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks, Herman, for splitting this thread.
Swlondonmum wrote:I guess, more generally then, if we’re not allowed to have a review/remark prior to March, do we get that done as part and parcel of the appeal process (if we ever embark on it)? Is it standard practice to review the exam papers on anyone appealing?
In most areas, no, I'm afraid not.
One or two areas have been known to do it, but it's not a legal requirement.
Also, from your experience, what is the minimum standardised score one can achieve? Is 40 even an option?
I can't say - we don't know how it was standardised.
I will try to ring them on Monday to enquire
If a review had been available, I feel sure you would have been told.

Sadly there's not much you can do about this situation.

At an appeal you are allowed to question the school's representative, and you could ask probing questions such as "What checks were in place to eliminate any possibility of error?"
The main task at an appeal, though, would be to prove that the result was a blip (if not an error) by putting forward evidence of your daughter's ability.

It may or may not reveal anything of interest, but (clutching at straws here) you could try asking the school for a copy of any record they have of how your daughter performed, and of any marks, notes or comments on or relating to your daughter's test paper. Mention that you are only doing this because there seems to be no option for a check/remark. You will also need to point out that this request is being made under data protection legislation, and the only exemption permitted under GDPR is what your daughter has actually written, not marks and comments.
See B47 for further information:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If they refuse (as they quite possibly will try to do), contact the Information Commissioner, and the ICO will write to them and tell them they are breaking the law and that they should comply with your request.
Etienne
Swlondonmum

Post by Swlondonmum »

Thank you both! This is so very helpful!
Lot’s of food for thought for me and it seems the best way forward would be to raise a SAR request and hope to get some meaningful detail.

Will keep you posted on any developments
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now