Academic evidence for appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bluebelle13

Academic evidence for appeal

Post by Bluebelle13 »

Dear Etienne,

I’m hoping you can help provide some guidance. I think my DS is likely to be just short of the cut-off score for a super-selective secondary grammar, so just trying to get my head around the prospect of an appeal. He has been offered an academic scholarship for an independent school, based on his performance in the ISEB common entrance exam. Would this be worth mentioning as part of our evidence of academic ability? Or would this be likely to harm his chances, given it would effectively reveal to the panel that he has a suitable back-up option? The grammar is far and away his preferred choice, so any advice would be gratefully appreciated!
hermanmunster

Re: Academic evidence for appeal

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Bluebelle welcome to the forum, I am sure Etienne will have some thoughts on this and how / when to use the info about the indie exams in an appeal - meanwhile there are a couple of thoughts from our FAQ on appeals : https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to the forum! :)

I'm afraid there's no easy answer to your question because there's no way of knowing how your particular appeal panel would react.

Do you think you already have a strong academic case?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If so, then the additional evidence could be superfluous.

If you do decide to refer to the academic scholarship, I suggest "The grammar school is far and away his preferred choice" would carry more weight coming from the current headteacher (assuming the latter is being co-operative).
Etienne
Bluebelle13

Post by Bluebelle13 »

Thank you both. I think we can build a strong academic case without necessarily mentioning the scholarship, and would expect our Head to be supportive given SATS predictions and past academic track record. We also have medical extenuating circumstances to explain the score shortfall on the day. Thanks again for the swift reply and advice.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now